Sharp 70-80 inch or Mitsubishi 82-92 inch

JasonJCarney

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if your only considering DLPs or not but:

I thought about the 70 Sharp LED for our living room but decided on the 60" 240hz LED Quattron instead. We have been real happy with it. Had it for 3 months now. Double french doors in that room with lots of light. Viewing tv has not been a problem. I did notice that when Oregon was playing basketball recently with bright yellow uniforms on a yellow gym floor that the TV had extra bright YELLOW. Like it was throwing too much yellow in there? Another forum member also mentioned this phenomenon. Anyway, other than that no problems with the tv.

Yes the sharp is on my radar. What I am considering is the 70 inch 240 hz sharp quattron vs the Mitsubishi WD 92840. Both are about the same price. $3500 ish. The big issue I think is that I'm not familiar with dlp's and am hesitant cause they are less popular than lcd's. I was looking at the 70 inch 120hz sharp but read alot of bad reviews about fast moving movies and sports. The 65 inch LCD I have in the bedroom has blurring during football ( just the ball ) and I don't like it.

Yes, the 240hz version of the TVs which is more expensive seems to have solved that problem. I watch sports on my tv and when I first installed tv it was on 120hz setting and I could see the football burring you mention. I then set it to 240hz and no more blurring. We watch OTA broadcasts in HD here and the picture is excellent. Super Bowl was broadcast on NBC in HD here and it was a joy to watch.

I know that Sams' Club had or has the 70" Quattron for $2,500ish. That might not be the 240hz version of the set though. You have to watch the details on these things.

I have had the 73" Mitsu for almost 3 years now. My room is 25' x 30' and I sit about 17' away from the screen. The room has double french doors, a 6' x 6' window, a half door 2' x 2' window and a 4' x 4' kitchen window. I originally wanted a projector but because of the brightness settled on the DLP. I didn't figure that an LCD or Plasma would do any better as I have those in the bedrooms that don't have that many windows.

So far I am real pleased and can watch any game or movie at any time of the day. It even has an auto brightness setting for auto switching between day and night viewing.

For the price of large screen viewing I couldn't beat it as there was nothing in that size back then and even now they still cost almost twice as much. I don't see any 92" LCD's or Plasma's yet that the average consumers can afford.

I'd upgrade in a heartbeat to the 92" if the shops had them here. I couldn't wait on the 83" so I just took the 72" they had in stock.

Well I can agree that for $3500 the only tv your getting at 92 inches is the dlp. My projector is great and my screen is 100 inch. It just doesn't work with a baby (having the lights off). I need something I can view with the lights on. Thst said I was looking at an LCD because they are what I am most familiar with. The 2 dlp's I have watched are owned by my brother innlaw and my sister. They were both purchased years ago. That leads me to believe they are old technology.

If you are going to be viewing with the lights on and viewing from 60 degrees then you definitely don't want the DLP. It is similar to watching your projector with the lights on and you lose half of your brightness at probably 30 degrees. DLP tvs look good in a light controlled room but that's about it, and even then you have to be viewing straight on for a good picture. Go with the LED and you will be a happy man.

I bought my Mitsu 57" DLP close to five years ago and had to change the bulb at 3 years. This TV has been trouble free its entire life. IMO, DLP's have a more natural picture than LCD's. The bulbs use to be very expensive($300.00) but now yiou can get them for less than $100.00.

The 2 dlp's I have watched are owned by my brother innlaw and my sister. They were both purchased years ago. That leads me to believe they are old technology.

The technology was created in the late 80's but for some peace of mind, DLP technology is the market share leader in professional projection. Close to 50% of front projectors produced today are DLP based.

The 3 chip DLP's are a vast improvement over the 1 chip versions. I think the biggest advantage to DLP rear projection is the biggest bang for the buck, more sreen size for less $$$. The biggest disadvantage, you can't mount it on the wall.

Bill

If you are going to be viewing with the lights on and viewing from 60 degrees then you definitely don't want the DLP. It is similar to watching your projector with the lights on and you lose half of your brightness at probably 30 degrees. DLP tvs look good in a light controlled room but that's about it, and even then you have to be viewing straight on for a good picture. Go with the LED and you will be a happy man.

Bill, is the viewing angle and loss of brightness acurate? If so it's really a deal breaker.

I'll try it out right now, get back to you in a few minutes.

I am back and all lights are turned on and blinds are open. Not a sunny day here but still bright outside. IMO, screen not washed out by the current lighting, darker scenes tend to wash out more but my DLP has a 1-chip processor so results will be better with the 3-chips.

A couple of photos as reference.

I have my TV setting on "natural" not "bright" or "brilliant", results would be better with latter.

Disclaimer: Photos are grainy because of camera/photographer not TV.

Bill

post-26822-13819688830316_thumb.jpg

Just some other things you can look into since you are already familiar with projectors. My brother has one of the latest projectors from BenQ. I can't remember the model off hand. It is a DLP and he says it puts out a bright enough image to view in daylight. Another thing to look into is a screen from a company called Black Diamond, if you haven't heard about it already. They have designed a screen that is supposed to block out ambient light. You can read up about it over at AVS forum on the screen forum.

The Black Diamond screen by Screen Innovations is an amazing screen. As a matter of fact, I have seen one with the Epson 9700UB projecting on it and it looked like a $10,000 projector. The only problem is that the black diamond screen loses brightness and color uniformity when viewing from an angle. And not to mention that a 100" screen starts around $2200.