Sharp 70-80 inch or Mitsubishi 82-92 inch

JasonJCarney

So I went to magnolia to check out the sharp's and pioneer elite. The elite is nice but at 7k it's not worth it for me. The 80 inch sharp ($4200) is so big! Makes the 65 inch that was next to it look tiny. The picture quality was sub par IMO. Maybe it's just too big to look good with the technology available? The 70 inch sharp ($1999), was also not very impressive. Unfortunately it was not so good cause the price is absolutely right. The other 70 inch sharp they had ($3500) seemed to be of better quality. But they had it in a dark corner with s bluray playing. I didn't recognize the movie but it didn't seem to be the type of movie one should use to display the abilities of a tv. The format had black bars on the top and bottom. The bars combined with the dark corner and black frame made the tv look smaller than the 60 inch tv's surrounding it cause they were playing something bright and in 16x9 format. All this has me thinking about getting a smaller tv (55-60) and adding a drop down screen in front if it. That way I keep my projector big screen for movies and video gaming but get the ability to watch regular tv and sports with the family (lights on).

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bigger the set the more revealing it is too. While 1080p content looks fabulous, the standard def. Dish Network feed is at times hard to digest on my 60. Where as the 42" I replaced was not nearly as revealing at my watching distance on lower resolution sources.

I find it really hard to figure out what you will have at home from what you see in the store. I basically bought the best picture off all the tvs in the store (to our eyes).

this is a no brainer to me. only 2 choices make sense. LED or plasma

get a 60" sony led or 60"samsung led and if you don't like either one of these which would be hard to believe then go the plasma route

my brother his son and daughter have 65"misubitcheees and they are the biggest pieces of s--- ever made.

get a 60" sony led or 60"samsung led and if you don't like either one of these which would be hard to believe then go the plasma route

my brother his son and daughter have 65"misubitcheees and they are the biggest pieces of s--- ever made.

Not sure if your brother has a lemon or not, but I would have to disagree with you totally on them being $hit. I would definately not purchase a SONY since the picture usually sucks and Sonys are very high priced and never rate worth a crap on CNET. Samsungs are great, best bang for the buck IMHO. I have a 73 inch Mitsu in my theater room and it blows the sony picture out of the water. I used to be a sony fanboy also, until over the last couple years their picture is terrible compared to their price. Panasonic makes the BEST plasma for the money, unless of course you want to find a Pioneer Elite Kuro floating around used.

I wasnt going to comment in this thread, but couldnt resist with the comment you made.

Not sure if your brother has a lemon or not, but I would have to disagree with you totally on them being $hit. I would definately not purchase a SONY since the picture usually sucks and Sonys are very high priced and never rate worth a crap on CNET. Samsungs are great, best bang for the buck IMHO. I have a 73 inch Mitsu in my theater room and it blows the sony picture out of the water. I used to be a sony fanboy also, until over the last couple years their picture is terrible compared to their price. Panasonic makes the BEST plasma for the money, unless of course you want to find a Pioneer Elite Kuro floating around used.

I wasnt going to comment in this thread, but couldnt resist with the comment you made.

Well I was clearly asking you to comment so thanks. I wish I could see a Mitsubishi in person. The stores around here don't sell them though

All this has me thinking about getting a smaller tv (55-60) and adding a drop down screen in front if it. That way I keep my projector big screen for movies and video gaming but get the ability to watch regular tv and sports with the family (lights on).

That's what I am going to do. I am hoping to get a JVC RS35/60/65 this year and plan to keep a flat sceen for daily viewing and use the projector for movies/UFC fight nights. Best way to go IMO.

I like the idea of a TV for daily viewing and projector for the movie experience. Seems a waste to have a dedicated theater room that I only watch movies in. I'd rather dual purpose it but I don't want to put the hours on a lamp for TV viewing. Same sound system, two viewing systems.

i'm sure your happy with your 73" Mittsu

In that small room a dlp would be the last tv I would look at (just my opinion).

I guess I do agree here, a DLP rear projection would take up some space(depth) a flat panel won't. I happen to have my DLP in a 2 foot deep niche that puts the front of the screen perfectly flush and even with the wall, mimicing a flat panel TV.

And lcds have a way better picture anyways.

I don't totally agree with that. The Diamond Series Mitsu's have incredible life-like picture quality that doesn't look artificial like some LCD's.

Bill

Everyone I think has a different opinion on what a good picture

looks like based on taste. Depends how picky someone is also. In general I think

the dlp is going to atrack a budget value shopper. Bang for buck they are

pretty nice but they don’t reach a real high level picture wise imo (nice just

not great). Imo its apples to oranges in picture quality potential. The price tags kind of tell the story.

Good to see people have such strong opinions. The depth of the DLP does make it less than optimal in my space. After some investigation I don't think the viewing angle would be an issue for my space. I am finding that the price of flat panel tv's is still a bit too high for me (concerning 70-80 inch with at least 240 hz) at this point. I would like at least a 70 to replace the projector. So unless I can find something out of the blue then it looks like I'm gonna go for a smaller flat panel (50-60) and buy a drop down screen. The only other option would be the 70 inch sharp for $3500. Kinda hard to justify $3500 on a 1080p 3d smart tv that would be used exclusively for 720p, non 3d, non Internet type viewing. I love my samsung plasma and I can pick up another one (51 inch) for $550.

I can only attest to what I own. Currently my primary viewing sets are a 37" Samsung LCD 120hz - 42" Panasonic Plasma 600hz - (2) Mitsubishi 65" 120hz - 50" Sony LCD 60Hz. I'll comment on the Mitsubishi's as they are whats relevant. This is a great TV overall and makes many reviewers lists in the best bang for your buck category. Slim? Hell no. Wall mountable? Nope. Excellent picture at an average viewing angle and distance? Depends on model but for the most part, yes. You can't touch this size and picture quality anywhere for the same money from an LCD/LED/PLASMA manufacturer. If this is going to be used in an HT/Media Room and you don't have 18" to spare than I would look at that issue first. Undeniably though, the prices can't be beat. Long story but I ended up with BOTH of my 65" Mitsubishis for $849 total when purchased through Dell. Dell seems to have the best sales on these, FYI. The original price was 1500 for one and they were on sale for 849. Obviously, I'm very pleased in my own bang for the buck equation ;) But, in the end the decision is yours to make, best of luck!

About a year ago I was dead set on getting the mitsu 73 or 82".

Last years model compared to the one from two years ago was a great improvement in brightness.

Then this last fall when at the store looking at them for the 20th time I noticed the latest model for this year had a very different cover for the front.

I really did not like it. It was really shiny. It reflected a lot of light.

Then I saw the 70" 240 hz Sharp at Costco for $2599 and well.....

I have to say I am very happy with it so far.

A good test is to look at both the sharp 70" 120 and the 70" 240 quattron next to each other at the same time.

That was what really sold me on the quattron and the extra $800.

I have seen at best buy you can pay for a calibration for $250.

I have been happy with the color out of the box and do not plan on getting any calibration.

Another nice thing is how cool it runs. After it has been on for hours there is not a place on the whole TV that is anything more or less than room temperature.

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/tv/L75-A94

enough said. If viewing angle isnt an issue definitely go with a mitsu and these laservues are supposed to be amazing. Not too much depth for rear projection either and alot more bang for buck. DLP also would be a a better choice for straight ahead viewing and a dark room. Reviews are subjective for video or audio but i still read them for guidance and to lead me in the right direction. if youre looking for best bang for buck and viewing angle isnt an issue than a mitsu is the way to go no doubt especially if you want more inches. sharp quattron is a joke. marketing scheme is all bc they were falling behing so had to say they had a 4th color instead of 3 even tho its irrelevant to PQ. lg same, cant keep up. Flat panels are pannys and sammys by far way ahead of everyone else except sony but you pay a huge premium with a sonys higher end models. screen size and pq for your dollar is mitsu.

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/tv/L75-A94

enough said. If viewing angle isnt an issue definitely go with a mitsu and these laservues are supposed to be amazing. Not too much depth for rear projection either and alot more bang for buck. DLP also would be a a better choice for straight ahead viewing and a dark room. Reviews are subjective for video or audio but i still read them for guidance and to lead me in the right direction. if youre looking for best bang for buck and viewing angle isnt an issue than a mitsu is the way to go no doubt especially if you want more inches. sharp quattron is a joke. marketing scheme is all bc they were falling behing so had to say they had a 4th color instead of 3 even tho its irrelevant to PQ. lg same, cant keep up. Flat panels are pannys and sammys by far way ahead of everyone else except sony but you pay a huge premium with a sonys higher end models. screen size and pq for your dollar is mitsu.

I definitely have to disagree with the flat panel statement. Neither Samsung nor Sony can compare with the picture quality of an LG when it comes to LED. I do however agree that Panny's are the best plasma. The only LED tvs that look better than an LG are the new Elites.