Resistance tested on drivers for KLF 30

WRXr

Thanks for some good news. I tested the other speaker and the results were almost identical. I had someone come over to listen to my pair and he brought his own amplifier. It was a kenwood amp, a power amp and a pre-amp setup. The volume knob would crackle over the speakers when moved, as well as every frequency adjustment knob (bass -treble). So, when he turned it up to what he said was 100watt at its loudest (which was shaking the place) it would sound fine, and then it would sound crackly, and loud pops were overpowering the sound of the music. The perspective buyer seemed knowledgeble but I told him that I had never heard those sounds on my amp and that I didn't think it was my speakers. We took a ohm reading at the back of the speaker on the terminals and got a reading of 3.3 ohms for both. He said that he expected to see a reading of 6.6. I think that we had the straps hooked up to connect the posts together. So, after he left I pulled the drivers out to try and check to see if anything was 'blown'. It seems to have checked out. I will be hooking them back up to my amp shortly.

I have stayed in contact with this person and he told me 'I'm hearing that this model just had some kind of strange unexplainable issue with distortion at higher volumes.' Someone he trusts as a authority on speakers is telling him that KLF 30s (and 20s but not 10s) will distort and not handle power well and that this is a known issue for the model. Is this a know issue? This is what he is blaming for the sounds we heard. I told him to hook his amp up to his speakers to see if the same sounds occur.He hasn't done that yet.

I have stayed in contact with this person and he told me 'I'm hearing that this model just had some kind of strange unexplainable issue with distortion at higher volumes.' Someone he trusts as a authority on speakers is telling him that KLF 30s (and 20s but not 10s) will distort and not handle power well and that this is a known issue for the model. Is this a know issue? This is what he is blaming for the sounds we heard. I told him to hook his amp up to his speakers to see if the same sounds occur.He hasn't done that yet.

Sounds bogus. The 30's are one of the best rock/heavy rock speakers for the home. They will blow you out of the house with adequate clean power. I owned two sets, still currently own a set and even in large rooms, my ears will give up way before the speakers.

The same applies to the 20's. I have a set of woofers for 20's in my home built speakers, and in a very large room with something like Pink Floyd Pulse, can shake the house's foundation - cleanly. If you own 30's and trying to sell them, you apparently don't know what you have. Minor tweaks and they can keep up with the best of them.

100% wrong and he needs a new "authority on speakers". or this person is not understanding what he is hearing or talking about

I had a set of 20s and used them through college with a 200 watt/channel QSC amp. they played perfect and loud on everything from country/rap/rock/anything else and would have taken more power easily. it is obviously his amp setup. like the previous poster said, it sounds like a dusty knob or another issue but not your speakers

"and then it would sound crackly, and loud pops were overpowering the
sound of the music."

Bad amplifier.

Old amplifiers develop dirty switches and controls and sound just as you have described.

I have a Sansui 9090 (very highly regarded) that is just as you described. All the controls and switches are shot, it does all sorts of disgusting things at different times. I play with all the switches and controls, shoot some cleaner here and there, and it will be useable for another six months or so. It is just worn out.

Sansui-9090.jpg

"and then it would sound crackly, and loud pops were overpowering the
sound of the music."

Bad amplifier.

Old amplifiers develop dirty switches and controls and sound just as you have described.

I have a Sansui 9090 (very highly regarded) that is just as you described. All the controls and switches are shot, it does all sorts of disgusting things at different times. I play with all the switches and controls, shoot some cleaner here and there, and it will be useable for another six months or so. It is just worn out.

BUT it is a work of art compared to how receivers look today.

Thanks for the replies! They confirm what I was thinking, that it was the amp and not the speakers. I was only driving them with a smaller amp, so they wouldn't come alive like they would with more power. The person I was talking about ended up buying the speakers, so he seemed to also feel that it wasn't the speakers. He said he hit about 100w at the peak when he came over to listen to them and I had a huge grin on my face hearing that. I can't wait until I have the $ to invest in a proper system with a nice amp.