Has anyone elevated their Cornwalls on stands?

JHoman

I'm building a riser that will elevate my Cornwalls about 16" off the floor. I just wanted to try it and see how it sounds. I'm making it so it would hold some of my LPs. They are made out of 3/4 MDF with glued and nailed joints and I'm painting them flat black to match my rack system. I'll post some pics when I'm done with them.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Jeff

Hey Jeff, nice setup. The extra lp storage is really cool. Two minor suggestions. You can easily remove the risers. I suspect, but since I don't know your exact couch height, it might bring the tweeters down closer to your ear level. Secondly, you've got some room so spread them apart a bit more. Wider is better up to a certain point, but you haven't reached it yet.

Do you lose some of the deepest bass by taking them up off the floor? Myself, I don't find much advantage in aiming my K-horn tweets directly at my ears (or at least my one good ear...).

The sound from K's tends to distribute pretty well around the room IMHO, in part because they're in corners.

Do you lose some of the deepest bass by taking them up off the floor? Myself, I don't find much advantage in aiming my K-horn tweets directly at my ears (or at least my one good ear...).

The sound from K's tends to distribute pretty well around the room IMHO, in part because they're in corners.

I meant to flip the Cornwall
upside down when I brought them out but I was by myself and even with the
woofers out and backs off they were a bit of a gut buster to carry through the
garage and into the back room due to the maze of cars and other stuff that was
in the way. There is a support pole out into the room as I really didn't want
to find the Cornwalls on the floor when I walked out there one morning. I sat
on the shelf and bounced it a bit to check the structure and they passed that
test. I am supposed to do some re-arranging soon so they may get flipped then.
There is a cleat along the front edge of the riser to prevent it from walking
off the front edge. Can't be too careful you know! I think its probably close
enough to the cathedral ceiling to get near 1/8 space room gain too, ceiling
angle is about 28 degrees so I may be missing out on some bass but not as
much as if I just had the k201's there.

Hey Jeff, nice setup. The extra lp storage is really cool. Two minor suggestions. You can easily remove the risers. I suspect, but since I don't know your exact couch height, it might bring the tweeters down closer to your ear level. Secondly, you've got some room so spread them apart a bit more. Wider is better up to a certain point, but you haven't reached it yet.

Thanks, I'm gonna play around a little with them. I can move some stuff and spread them out a foot or two. It sounds pretty good, but I haven't had time to really listen to it and try and form a hard opinion about the changes.

That's part of the fun and good luck. I have an overlarge sitting chair and as I relax and slide lower into it, I do notice the sound changes so yeah, playing around with them is a worthwhile effort.

Wish they didn't weigh a 100 lbs though.[:D]

That's part of the fun and good luck. I have an overlarge sitting chair and as I relax and slide lower into it, I do notice the sound changes so yeah, playing around with them is a worthwhile effort.

Wish they didn't weigh a 100 lbs though.Big Smile

The wife helped me lift them! [Y]