Klipschorn Repair Questions

otherone101

I recently got the deal of a lifetime on a pair of Klipschorns through an estate auction. According to the serial #'s I think they are from 1986 and have the crossovers that require connections to be soldered in place. Well, according to the auction house one speaker works fine while the other only has bass output with no mids or highs. From the detailed photos they provided it is obvious the speakers were kept inside as there is no rust or other damage. So I'm hoping this is an issue with the crossover and not the drivers. I am relatively new to Klipsch with my only experience being Heresy II's that I upgraded to Crites crossovers. Can anyone shed light on the subject or point me in the direction of getting everything working again? I don't currently have the speakers in my possession, but I will be picking them up sometime this week. Also, does anyone know of a place that will look at Khorns in Florida? I will be picking them up in the Tampa, St. Pete area and carting them back to the West Palm Beach area. Thanks in advance for any insights you may have for this Klipschorn newbie.

First of all, congratulations!

These are great speakers and I am sure you will enjoy them. If both the mid and the tweeter are not working I would guess that the connections within the crossover may be loose or broken. This is easily fixed by the owner. If the drivers themselves are bad, it is probably just the diapragm and that too can be replaced and serviced at home. The good news is that any of these problems can be fixed and it will not cost an arm and a leg. At this point we can only guess as to what the problem might be.

I would wait until you get them home, examined and hooked up. Tell us what you see and we will guide down the decision tree. You will need a screwdriver and voltmeter. It is all fairly simple.

There may not even be a fuse in the fuse holder! LOL!!! I agree with DJK, and before replacing the fuses, check and see what fuses are in the working unit. Then replace all of them. Make sure they are "fast blow" type. There are some other things that can be a problem. If the fuses are replaced, wires on crossovers are connected, leads to bass bin plugged in, etc., you may have to swap the crossovers to see if the problem follows the crossover. If it follows, then the crossover is the culprit. If not, then pull the bass bin cover and make sure that the leads from the bass bin's main input and woofer crossover unit are attached to the leads that "feed" the jacks to the HF section. Given their age, it would not hurt to pull the covers and inspect the leads to the woofers (and make sure someone did not "substitute" non-Klipsch woofers...), and replace the bin cover gasket. That bin needs to be sealed tight.

Just some thoughts.

Thanks everyone for the excellent input. It turns out all they needed were some new fuses. Everything else is in tip top shape. I'm working on getting them in the house -- I don't have enough corners in the right places for proper placement and I'm going to build some backs for the bass bins out 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood. This will be a project for next week and I will make sure to take some photos and post them up here. Thanks again for helping me troubleshoot and tackle the problem. Turned out much easier than I expected.