Need advice for a small room with RF (62/52) setup

kzor

Hi guys,

Sorry for my language first, I'm not a native speaker :)

I am totally new to home theatre and my first apartment will come in 5 months later. I am considering an independent HT room aproximately 10.5 x 10 x 9 feet, likely with simple acoustic remodification, with a mitsubishi HC7800c and a 92' screen. When it comes to speakers, after months of viewing forums and listening at stores, I am seriesly considering to purchase Klipsch RF 62II, RC 62II and RS 52 II with a Denon AVR 4311.

However, until yesterday when I randomly purchased my new BD player, the BDP dealer who also sells speakers is strongly against my setup when I came across with my future room. He said that this Klipsch setup will be too loud/noisy/strong for such a small space and I'm gonna die with that... He recommended a bookshelf system that he is dealing...

I am not sure if this is true or just his business strategy so I posted my question on local forum, it turns out that more than half of the replies are also against this setup. But I don't think the guys on my local forum have tried these speakers in such a small room, they just commented based on their presumptions. Most of them recommended MK sound speakers (more specifically MK LCR 750 system).

I listened both Klipsch and MK at a store and I just love the sound of Klipsch. To me personally, the MK sounds like water when it compares with Klipsch, plus I love the look of Klipsch. So it is a tough call for me to turn to MK and give up on Klipsch.

Could anyone share the experience with Klipsch reference series in a small room? Would that be really that bad? Will it be better if I degrade the size of the speakers, say choosing RF 52, RC 52 and RS 52 instead, or even lower?

I will be grateful for any help!

• Moderators

Welcome to the world of Klipsch.

He said that this Klipsch setup will be too loud/noisy/strong for such a small space and I'm gonna die with that...

I would tell him there is always a Volume knob if it gets too loud. [:D]

To me personally, the MK sounds like water when it compares with Klipsch

That's a great analogy.

Could anyone share the experience with Klipsch reference series in a small room?

My son has a pair of RF-7's in his 12' x 11' room. You won't ever hear him nor me saying they are too loud for the room. Would they benefit from being in a larger room so they can "open up", sure. Are they too loud? Only if you crank them up. But that's the nature of Klipsch period. They can get extremely loud no matter how large your living room or bedroom is.

I personally believe the RF-62ii system would make a fantastic system for a bedroom. Just my opinion. I would however suggest that you could easily save some money on your rears by going with the RS-52's and possibly even the RS-42's and put the money you save on those towards a quality subwoofer.

Thank you Youthman for your help! I'm more comfortable now with my choice and probably will follow your suggestion.

He said that this Klipsch setup will be too loud/noisy/strong for such a small space and I'm gonna die with that...

I would tell him there is always a Volume knob if it gets too loud. Big Smile

I might have used an incorrect wording here. What I'm trying to say is not about the volume. I understand that the most famous design of Klipsch speakers is the Khorn, and I was told that the Khorn is designed to be capable of filling a large space, so when putting into a small room, the Khorn might sound too sharp or inappropriate. I tried to argue with the dealer regarding turning the volume down, but he said in that case, I will lose the characteristics of Klipsch and I could invest my money in much better bookshelves/satellite system.

Just not sure if my room size will have the Klipsch speakers sound bad, because I don't have any opportunities to audition them in a similar space.

kzor my room is about 138 square ft. which is 13 square meter ,so about the size that you got

and I haveRF- 82II's ,RC-62II RB-81's and a big Canton 13" Sub in there .......and in no way I feel I got to big Speakers.... I'm totally in Love with the sound I'm getting there

so don't let this Salesmen tell you [bs] [:D]

here is some pix of my setup

post-53055-13819688942864_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Great looking setup too volker. I know there are plenty of Klipsch owners out there, all with vary different size and shape rooms from huge homes, to dedicated theaters, to bedrooms to offices. You either love the sound of Klipsch or you don't. If you don't you probably will not be pushing them. Unfortunately, with sales, often the things that get pushed the most are the ones that bring in the biggest profit for the salesman.