Amp/Reciever Ideas or for sale for NEWBIE who just bought Chorus 2's

jhatch401

Hello Everyone,

As you can tell by my post I am a newbie to the Klipsch community. I want to first thank everyone on here because all the information was very helpful when I was researching for what speakers to buy to run with the vinyl I recently inherited. I inherited my father in laws vinyls when he passed away and it means a lot to my wife to get these up and playing. After a lot of research I ended up audiotioning some Heresy 2, Forte 2, and Chorus 2 speakers. I ended up going with the Chorus 2's because I just loved the soundstage that they have. The forte 2's though were very very nice and it was a toss up.

Anyway, back to my question. I just recently picked up a brand new Pro Ject Debut 3 that will be running my vinyls and I want to get a nice integrated or preamp/amp set up to run with these speakers. I have wanted to go with tubes but I am not sure if I can find something good in my price range. I would like to keep it to 600-700 dollars tops and I am interested in any recommendations. I have heard a lot of good things about the Scott 299 as well I have been looking online at the Yaqin mc20l or mc100b. I am not a true audiophile and my main concern is to make the Chorus's sound great and have a nice presentable item since they will be in my main living area. I am interested in suggestions as well if you have and amp or combo that you would be willing to part with, I am all ears.[:D] no pun intended

I want to thank everyone in advance for your input and look forward to being a heritage Klipsch owner for life.

Jhatch401,

Welcome to the forum.

Great choice in Chorus II's but Fortes or Forte II's would have been great also.

Are you up for vintage 80's solid state? I have come to realize that 80's Denon integrateds sound fantastic with the extended Heritage group(Quartets, Fortes I & II, Chorus I & II). They are very reasonable on the used market and are neutral, punchy and fast, and very detailed. I am sure tubes are awesome with them also but I just have not opened up that can yet. NAD integrateds would be a fine choice also.

This is not vintage 80's but 2000's but it is one awesome beast of an integrated. Tips the scale at over 50 pounds and built like a tank. Preouts and remote controlled as bonuses.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/denon-pma-2000-iv-r-integrated-amplifier-80w-x-2-with

Take a look at my profile(you can't miss it[:D]) and I may be selling my Denon PMA-757 & TU-767 combo and/or my Onkyo Integra A-9711, TU-4711, DX-C340 combo. Both setups sound great with the speakers mentioned.

Bill

Thanks Bill,

I am really up for anything right now. I am relatively new and just want something where it has a good phono stage already built in and has a nice sound. I prefer a nice low end with my music. I will take a look at what you have as well in case you decide to part with some of them.

I was looking more at the tubes for the nostalgia, and sound along with the wow factor that it would bring at the house.

Thanks again

Jolida makes some nice tube intregrateds, i have a small Jolida 102b that i keep around as a backup to this day.

On the solid state side, I've tried an Outlaw Audio 2 channel receiver RR2150, it was very good and at a great price. http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/306outlaw

I didn't keep the outlaw but wish i had.

Good Luck in your search!

Thanks for the ideas. I am torn between looking at a vintage Marantz 2330b that if for sale local or looking to the recommended outlaw rr2150. I like the power and nostalgia factor of the Marantz, but I feel that my wife might want to also throw the ipod on there to listen to music. I am mainly setting this up to play the records on but the ability to connect a CD player or hook up an IPOD might be nice. Would there be an easy way to do that with the Marantz?

Welcome JHatch, as a big fan of Chorus II's I am sure you will be very happy with your new speakers. There will be no problem hooking up either the cdp or Ipod to the Marantz. Regular RCA cables for the CDP & a RCA-->3.5 mini plug to hook up your Ipod. My vote would be to go with the Outlaw receiver, I talked a buddy of mine into buying one to run his Klipsch Reference series speakers & he loves it. (This from a man who has owned some Naim & KEF equipment in his lifetime.)

The dedicated input for the wife's Ipod, a strong phono section & plenty of juice to run the Chorus, plus a warranty adds up to a winner in this showdown. Rather than spend money bringing the older marantz up to Spec, save your money to upgrade the crossovers & tweeter diaphragms on your Chorus, through Bob Crites, a member here on the board. Live with your speakers for awhile and when the cash is available, visit the Crites website and order up some new crossovers & diaphragms. Your ears will thank you. Good luck & keep us posted on your new toys.

Rather than spend money bringing the older marantz up to Spec, save your money to upgrade the crossovers & tweeter diaphragms on your Chorus, through Bob Crites, a member here on the board.

Updating the Chorus II networks is a great idea, but it looks like this Marantz 2330b has already been updated.

This is a vintage Marantz 2330b stereo receiver from the 1977-79 that puts out 130 watts per channel.
All lights, meters, switches and Gyro tuning work.
It has been recapped by Sounds Classic of Rockford, Il. in spring of 2011.
Asking $600 cash OBO.
image 0 image 1
image 2 image 3

The Outlaw with warranty idea is a good one but the Marantz does have that "it" factor.

Bill