La Scala bottom panel

Hi kids,

I got my first pair of La Scala's (early-ish 80's) the other day...8 square feet subtracted from my already little living room well spent :)

So...

One of them has a bottom panel that is 23" x 23 3/4" x 3/4" plywood with screws in from the bottom whose heads are so worn i can't really get a screwdriver into them!

Any idea if this panel is original?

How can i remove the bottom with the screw heads worn down like that?

The other one is plain missing the bottom panel. But there are screws with little metal tabs attached...no idea how those are used. I dont see extra screw holes for how a panel would screw in either.

What do the original ones look like and how to they attach?

Now Im not advocating everybody to go turn their LaScala's upside down....but if anyone's got a pic of the bottom I'd love to see it!

Li'l Jack

Thanks everyone on the worn screw removal advice! Let me work on that and then try to figure out the other one with the missing panel. I assume if I go get a piece of plywood cut 23x23 3/4x3/4 with regular plywood plus some weather stripping or gasket that would be a good start for replacing my missing panel?

The speakers are madfe from Baltic birch. Not regular birch. You can buy it in 5'X5' sheets for around $75-85 a sheet. I think it is 13 ply...

As for the gasket, here is some stuff that will work well: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-542

Thanks Mustang guy.

I'm thinking for the bottom panel I could get away without using the Baltic Birch and instead use something cheaper since it won't be seen anyways.

Bob Crites told me to get a bottom panel or to seal up the bottom in some way to prevent the woofer from getting overstrained since it was meant to work in a sealed environment.

The weather stripping will help that too. Thanks for the part number!

Look for Baltic birch 3/4 plywood. I think it is 13 ply. It really doesn't have to be good both sides, as it is on the bottom. The best Baltic birch grade is B/BB. B is the front grade, and BB is the highest for the back. You can also find it called Russian birch. It can be purchased in 4'X8' sheets, BTW. 5X5 is more common, and will suit your needs.

Raw Birch is Baltic birch that hasn't been finished.

edit: I just read your post over and see you are planning to use cheaper plywood on the bottom. That is up to you, but there are many reasons Baltic birch is used in speaker building. I honestly can't tell you if changing to some other plywood would sound very different as a trap door. If they were my speakers, BB would go on.

Klipsch did not use Baltic Birch for the LaScalas.

Just about anything should do for the loading doors, just buy a handi-panel (2x2 or 2x4) of whatever your yard has. Klipsch used Birch veneered plywood with seven cores plus the two finished faces, so you see nine layers (the faces being very thin).

• Haha 1

thanks for the info, djk!

i do see the 7 cores from the side although the two thin veneers are too thin for me to see. But yeah, it seemed to make sense to me that I could use regular plywood for the bottoms. Now I'm wondering if these are also sort of decorator la scalas because there are no grills, the edges of sides are flush with the face, and the logo is mounted on the face (vs the grill). Then again, I read that there were no real decorator la scalas to speak of since they were all essentially plywood.

Best, li'l jack

The LaScala could be ordered in any wood you liked, as long as that was birch!

They were butt-jointed and had visible nail holes (filled).

You could order them :

raw

stained (maple or walnut)

painted (black)

laquered

black fiberglass with aluminm trim (either one piece or two piece)

no grill, top grill, or full grill

K33 woofer or K43 high power

Anything else you could think of (red, white, and blue for Buck Owens)

• 8 years later...

Old post I know but can you use basic plywood screws?  1 1/4” ?  4 per side?  I just picked up a pair of Original La Scalas ($1200) because the owner upgraded to K-Horns due to lack of bass in the LSs. Both bottom panels were missing.  Just picked up the Baltic birch 3/4” panels. Thanks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Desron65 said:

I just picked up a pair of Original La Scalas ($1200) because the owner upgraded to K-Horns due to lack of bass in the LSs. Both bottom panels were missing.  

No wonder there was no bass.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Desron65 said:

Old post I know but can you use basic plywood screws?  1 1/4” ?  4 per side?  I just picked up a pair of Original La Scalas ($1200) because the owner upgraded to K-Horns due to lack of bass in the LSs. Both bottom panels were missing.  Just picked up the Baltic birch 3/4” panels. Thanks. 

they must have removed the panels to check the woofers ------and they still have them , call them first , before they throw them out ------and save yourself the trouble of Cutting the BB-

Just now, billybob said:

Maybe that's why they sold them. No bass...

one can see the screw holes and the lack of paint at the bottom -and the price was 1200$  ------he didn't steal them -

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, billybob said:

Maybe that's why they sold them. No bass...

IF i  buy speakers missing the lower panels , and I know they have no bass ,and possibly in need of  woofers  , 1200$ would have been too high for me --

• Haha 1