KP 115 Rebuild

Pete H

Any progress with the Kp 115 project? I'm interested as I just picked up one of these, but I haven't had a chance to test or play with it yet. I'm concerned about the output issue and wonder if it's a crossover deficiency or an inherent problem with driver, box, design or all of the above. I'll probably be bi-amping mine, but I do have one application where a passive crossover would come in handy, but it won't work if the sensitivity isn't somewhere in the range of the published 101dB. Does anyone have a crossover schematic? I'm curious as to what those big wire wound resistors do? Please advise if and when you get back on the project.

Thanks and good luck.

Interested to see the outcome of this as well, as I have a KP-115 that I just pulled from my home theater (replaced it with an NHT 1259 DIY sub) for dereliction of duty. I'd love to find a use for this, but I've not been terribly happy with it in a home theater role (and I don't think it's good enough to replace the Hsu STF-2 in my hifi rig).

-D

• 1 year later...

Guess it's time to bring this project back to life after a long break from electronics. Here's where I think I"m at with this; take the 2 K48's and put them in a DBB that's powered separately and reconfigure the crossovers in the 250's once I figure out where the crossover point should be. I am assuming a few things that I hope to get corrected on from all of you since I couldn't find the information in prior threads, 1) the KP115's were filtering out all of the low's (I believe at 150hz) going to the 250's so that will have to be dealt with on the 250 crossover and 2) I would imagine that a Heresy network would be a good starting point. Here's a picture of the 250 network that appears to be all original so please fire away with suggestions and corrections.

post-32129-0-99560000-1382884590_thumb.j

post-32129-0-45880000-1382884633_thumb.j

I guess I'm missing something here (not hard to imagine).

You're building a seperate bass bin (where did I hear that idea before??) to supplement the 250's bottom end. Why do you have to mod the crossovers? Why not just feed them a full signal and let them naturally roll off? Run the bass bins off a seperate channel. Use a seperate filter to pull off the highs from the bins if necessary.

I know, it's exactly what you did! I'm just trying to utilize the K48's and I do not have a good grasp on crossovers so though I can replace a cap or add something it's not going to be without proper instructions from people like you that know what you're doing in this area and quite honestly, I was worried about damaging the 250's, like I stated, some of my assumptions would be wrong. I have to look up your build and some of the other DBB builds and see how the K48's would work out because all I could find from you was some initial pictures when you were starting that build. Did you rebuild your crossovers in your 250's?

I did have the luxury however of using an Emotiva pre-amp that had adjustable HP and LP filters built in. i would have no problem sending the 250's a full range signal though.

Do you have the TS parameters of the K48's? If so, you could put them in winisd and figure out a box.

I think I have the proper parameters in a spreadsheet that has over 500 drivers including a section of Klipsch and one of them is listed as a K1548 but I would like to try and confirm these numbers but as if right now I haven't been able to. I don't have winisd and couldn't find a clean download when I looked this afternoon but I have another program and there are others online if I don't find a better source so I'll get the numbers in and see what it spits out and continue to try and find another listing for the TS parameters to make sure they are correct. I'll post the results.

• 1 month later...