Dad's Engines

bluesboy

21 hours ago, DizRotus said:

What became of the flat six @bluesboy?

The flat six is the aircraft engine to the far left of the case. The last 3 photos are of the Victorian hit and miss engine that wipster posted the video of. This Victorian engine is the one dad just recently completed.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bluesboy said:

The flat six is the aircraft engine to the far left of the case. The last 3 photos are of the Victorian hit and miss engine that wipster posted the video of. This Victorian engine is the one dad just recently completed.

your father reminds me of Preston Tucker  , when your Dad has a vision , nothing can stop him -

16 hours ago, bluesboy said:

Yup Dad's 88 now and still going strong.

That's great. 

He is impressive.  Did he machine the gears on the engines? In particular, the gears on the horizontal hit-and-miss engine that drive the flyball governor. Having made a few gears myself, I have some real appreciation for what it takes to custom cut involute helical gears.  

2 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

That's great. 

He is impressive.  Did he machine the gears on the engines? In particular, the gears on the horizontal hit-and-miss engine that drive the flyball governor. Having made a few gears myself, I have some real appreciation for what it takes to custom cut involute helical gears.  

Yes he machines every piece of those engines including the gears. Too bad I can't talk him into getting on the computer to explain some of these processes such as machining gears.

25 minutes ago, bluesboy said:

Yes he machines every piece of those engines including the gears. Too bad I can't talk him into getting on the computer to explain some of these processes such as machining gears.

I know how to machine the gears, I want to talk with him about machining the propellers. Again, he is impressive and does great work.

A place you both might like to see, if you haven't already, is the Warther MuseumPictures doesn't do it justice, as usual. 

4 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I know how to machine the gears, I want to talk with him about machining the propellers. Again, he is impressive and does great work.

A place you both might like to see, if you haven't already, is the Warther MuseumPictures doesn't do it justice, as usual. 

The Warther guy was considered the number one wood carver in the world.

JJK

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marvel said:

Bluesboy,

Amazing work. My Russian co-worker asked me what materials were used in these engines. Could you fill us in a little about the metals, etc.?

Engine blocks- Aluminium

Heads- Aluminium

Gas and oil tanks-Brass

Push rods-Aluminium

Piston rings-Cast iron

Centrifugal flyweight governor (hit & miss engines)-Brass 

Cranks- Steel

Pistons- Aluminium

Cylinders- 12% leaded steel

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JJkizak said:

JJK

9 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

The props are roughed out on an end mill through an incremental process to achieve a 45 degree twist over the length of the prop using a 1" diameter ball end mill. So you would have to re position the prop 1/8" to 1/10" for each pass with a twist each time to get the overall 45 degrees. And all of that is just for rough in. The rest of the shaping is done by hand with a file.

The genius of Don Ells and Ernest Warther reminds me of the sand paintings in bottles done by Andrew Clemens.  I first saw these on Antiques Roadshow.

Individual grains of sand inserted into bottles to form pictures.

https://makezine.com/2014/06/26/unbelievable-bottled-sand-art-from-the-1800s/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Clemens

4E34FE5D-A474-4ED9-9165-FF278ACE32AE.jpeg

374BBCAD-FF05-40AD-8979-8322C495E3F5.jpeg

• Like 3

On 6/8/2020 at 4:26 PM, JJkizak said:

JJK

I have nothing to dispute that. I took my youngnz there on our way to Niagara Falls. I am sure we folded in a motorcycle race at Mid Ohio on the way and toured Warther's again with a gf on our way to MO for more racing. My folks told me about Warther's Carvings and that's why I went. In the mid 70s, my parents were able to do a top shelf after hours photo shoot without the glass cases, most likely with a Hasselblad..I need to find those pictures

On 6/8/2020 at 9:57 PM, bluesboy said:

Warther is amazing. And here I thought I was a woodworker.

Wasn't sure if you'd been there, and thought that you might like it.

You're Dad is top shelf. Thanks for cluing me in on some of how he was able to pull off the not so easy or straight cuts using non cnc machines. 

15 hours ago, DizRotus said:

An example of Ernest Warther’s work is attached.

I can't do the man a good service in trying to express what a craftsman he was. It is not easy to believe how he and his wife had time to make kids, let alone rear them too. His family has put together a museum and tour, then free time to roam, which is great and worth of taking in. I only have pocket camera pics and the details are lost due to the glare of the glass. I have posted some of the pictures I took in the 'Show us your great photography thread'.

• Like 1