garage sale find vintage 601s in the house

leftwinger57

Hi guys,

A while back I posted that the pickings were very slim by me and some of you suggested save up cash and be patient or try Searchtempst which is a cool C/L condenser.Anyway today I scanned the classifieds for garage sales near me and found an adult community house was having a 2 day sale. This was the 2nd day and there seemed to be nothinhg left in the house and I ask the son if their parents had ever used vintage audio gear.The son said he just brought down from the attic 2 filthy dusty,dirty diamond in the rough Bose 601s series 1s.I looked and showed him that the surrounds were rotted and I would take them off his hands.The ok was made and he loaded them up in my car for me and while doing this I noticed a little Sansui reciever.I asked about it he says turn it on and we'll talk .I plug the thing in and a flame started to shoot out and it smoked and we got it out of there and said thank you but no.He took$20 for the Bose and when I cleaned and polished them a bit they do look much better .I initially tested each speaker 1 at a time tightened the binding posts and hooked them into zone 2 of my Yamaha rx-v665 and they worked, they all worked, the arrays worked and I didn't push them they would have shredded to bits if I did but after a refoaming job I just wonder if these will be much better than my Infinity SM112S and if so switch out from 2chl Bose to zone 2 Infinitys this still remains to be seen and heard for me to make the switch.Now what is the best wood polish to bring back some pretty dried out walnut.No vinyl here patricle board w/ walnut veneer.A can of Ole English didn't quite do it this needs some kind of a deep waxing type of job .So for $20 for the speeks another $20 or so for the refoam kit and I'l have speakers that went for high $600s back in the day.

......So for $20 for the speeks another $20 or so for the refoam kit and I'l have speakers that went for high $600s back in the day.

In my experience the 112's are capable of developing a clean, solid soundstage that the 601's (with their direct/reflecting design) could never hope to achieve, so you might be better off keeping the 112's as main speakers and using the 601's in the back of the room.

for whatever reason I also thought that.But like I said until they are totally finished and start to push,position them, then I'll make that call.Your the first guy almost who appriciates at the least the Infinity SM112s.All the Polkies call them enrty level party speaker ala Cerwin VeGAS.I never did and for the $ I paid for them they are fine.Those were already refoamed in pristine cabinets w/ the bullnose fronts on c/l for $40.

Bose 601's. I have a set of those from 1977 I believe, that I use when I want to push with Marantz 2325 outside. Made one sick when pushing them while painting. Suggest 50/50 used motor oil and diesel for finish.[;)] Not really good though you are going to keep them in the house. If you do it the Warden might object. In all honesty I feel the 601's are at the bottom of the list of the speakers that I have. But for now I'll keep them to drag outside when I want music out there.

Taz