Harmony remotes

The Dude

I have a older Sony Bravia tv about 4 years old, a Motorola cox cable box, and am looking at a new Onkyo receiver. Just wondering if anyone has had issues with Harmony remote are they pretty universal between these. Any specific models to look at or stay away from.

Thanks

Duder

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the website looks like it will mate with my devices fine, next question any one have any experience with the 650, or 700 models. I know alot of people use the Harmony one but what is the difference between the three. I will email logitech and see what they say as well.

Thanks.

Nick

• Moderators

+1 for the Harmony One. From my understanding, they all have access to the same database of codes, they each offer different ergonomics, button layout, etc. Harmony One offers both customizable hard buttons as well as touchscreen buttons.

This google search should help with the actual differences.

• Moderators

Some info I found:

The biggest difference is the touch screen - the 700 only gives you 4
commands with push buttons and the One gives you 8 with a touch screen.
However, the 700 has hard color buttons whereas on the One you have to
put those on the LCD. I'd take the One every time if the price was
close.

other big differences:
-screen resolution and color/contrast. The One has a better display in that regard.
-the 700 limits you to only 6 devices, while the One lets you operate up to 15
-the
700 has hard color buttons while the One only offers soft "touchscreen"
color buttons in the form of icons, and only for certain devices (not
including blu-ray players for some horrible reason).

The last few generations of Harmony remotes have motion sensors in them,
instead of glow buttons. Just pick them up and the backlight comes on.

The ONE I got has motion sensors, just pick it up and the light comes on! :) pretty cool and very usefull.

I have several. the Harmony One is the best one I have but I have some cheaper models too that I use in other rooms and they all have similar functionality with the differences being whether you have buttons with fixed names for the activities (watch tv, watch a movie, etc.) or if they show up in a screen with names you can assign. if you are going to run everything through a receiver, they have been a great answer to getting all the necessary commands on one remote. now the newest receivers are coming with android and iphone applications and I haven't played with them yet. anyway I got my Harmony One at Costco at a price I thought was good at the time. when I needed more I looked around online and found that places like Tiger Direct often have some pretty cheap options. I think I got one of mine for as little as $20.

I have the 700, great remote. Just don't use any of your original remotes to turn stuff off.... or the harmony will not know its turned off and therefore you will have to manually turn it back on.

just press the Help button on your remote and it'll turn things off and on to get to what it expects. for example, when you program your remote it will think everything is off. if that isn't true, press help and it'll try to turn things off and then if you say that didn't fix the problem it will show you the devices one by one and ask if they are off. that's usually easier than finding the power buttons on the various devices.

• Moderators

Deng is correct. The harmony only knows what it's last command was. So if you turn something on with the harmony and turn that device off with your regular remote, the harmony still thinks it is on, therefore your macros (ex. Watch a Movie) will not work.

Wiz is also correct, the Help is a great feature. It easily fixes those types of things.

I'll mirror much of whats already been said. I've owned a number of different Harmony remotes trying to avoid buying the Harmony One due to the price difference over the others since they all basically do the same thing. The One in the end had the best button layout for me so I went with it. I've had the One since December 2008 and have never looked back. I truly loving using it.

Plus 1 on the Harmony One.[Y] The best universal remote I have ever owned. Not only do I control my media center components but also some led lighting, subwoofers and my PC. The only real disadvantage is not having hard buttons for red, green, yellow and blue commands but once I got use to it, the touch screen buttons aren't that bad.

• Moderators

I checked my harmony one when I went home for lunch and saw no delays in the buttons. Highly recommend it. I remember thinking why would someone spend that much money on a remote. Now, I'm not sure why I ever waited so long to get one. Definitely one of the most practical investments in my HT.

Love my 900!! So user friendly when learning new remotes and setting up macros. I stayed away from the 1100 because I like the traditional remote "feel".

Also, the 900 has the red, green, blue, yellow buttons like cable remotes. Nice feature for interfacing with DVR menus and such.

We'll I think I am sold, I will start with the 650 if they are rechargeable. I have read were they aren't and are so I will have to do some more digging, if not I will go with the 700 for the price of about 45-65 depending on which model. If I like them or I should say if the family likes them I will go with the one once I have my ht done.

Thanks for all the input

Duder.