Inexpensive way to begin learning how to build a tube amp

tube fanatic

and only, 2 months shipping!

I don't know where they are located, but even if it's China, delivery can be fairly rapid. For the price though, even a 2 month wait would be worth it. A Hammond aluminum chassis for an amp like that runs around $25, and the transformers alone would push the cost well above what's being offered. Also, even if someone messes things up while building it, the financial loss isn't huge.

I kinda like the 'all tube design' with a bridge rectifier... [:^)]

I downloaded one of their manuals, and it only went as far as mounting the main hardware (trannies, sockets, binding posts). Nothing on wiring the actual circuit.

Bruce

" I kinda like the 'all tube design' with a bridge rectifier... "

That's fine as long as you use fast rectifiers for low noise, and a plate-voltage delay to avoid stripping the emissive material from the tube plates during warm-up.

The typical "receiving" tubes used in amps like this are not prone to cathode stripping from having plate (and screen with pentodes) voltage applied before the cathode is up to temperature. Even tubes like the 6V6, 6L6, and so on are not prone to this effect either. Amps which use rectifiers such as a 5U4, 5Y3, etc. (which ramp up the B+ well before the other tubes are at opeating temperature) do not demonstrate a higher rate of tube failure than amps which use a cathode type rectifier which heats at a rate similar to the other tubes in use.

For my first amplifier I built the predicessor to this amplifier:

http://s5electronics.com/l8stereo.html

This uses a circuit board that you populate.

My first point to point wiring amplifier was this:

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/50EH5/50EH5.htm

I found doing the point to point project let me understand what was going on much better than the kit on a board.

My first point to point wiring amplifier was this:

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/50EH5/50EH5.htm

I found doing the point to point project let me understand what was going on much better than the kit on a board.

It's amazing just how nice a single tube "spud" amp can sound. I have a friend who built one a long time ago when he got bored one weekend (his usual designs are complex variants on the single ended theme.) Tubes like the 50EH5 or 60FX5 are great choices in that the voltage output of the typical CD player is sufficient to drive them to near full output. And with some negative feedback applied between the plate and grid, the frequency response can be tailored to suit one's listening taste.

If one were so inclined, there is a place on the chassis behind the power transformer that could be punched for a valve rectifier, such as possibly a 5Y3. A filament transformer would likely be needed too, but could probably be installed on the inside side of the chassis. Very neat little amp just on its own.