la scala cabinet modifications - folded horn to bass reflex -

OO1

I could not find La Scala's for the money I wanted so I built some
ported clones with reflectors and a full size splitter.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/137782.aspx?PageIndex=1

These are in my bedroom along with some modified Klipschorns with enclosed
backs that look like TSCM clones.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/1453824.aspx

These are the best of what I own as far as volume and bass delivery

Also in the same room are a pair of beefed up cornwall
clones that live in front of the TSCM clones

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/147639/1519596.aspx#1519596

There is a Belle center too. I like being able to mix and match the
different bass bins and they all will play at the same time and do most of the
time at a low volume but if I here something come on the radio that I like it's
just a short walk over to the volume knobs to boost them up to a painful level
if that is desired. I wish I had a better ear to be able to describe the
differences but I don't I am thinking of selling my original Klipsch Cornwall's
as I like what I have built and others seem to like the "original"
Klipsch products better than any of the fake clones I have made. It’s really
tough to give an honest opinion of what goes or plays lower as they don't occupy
the same space or location. I have the lascala clones firing into the corner
with a 4 mH inductor behind the klipschorn modded TSCM clones and they extend
the “false wall”, the cornwall clones being directly in front of the TSCM
clones are not and ideal location and are more likely in a 4 pi type of installation
(they have no inductor at all at the moment and just roll off on their own)
instead of corner located probably give up some bass. That said I think the ported
lascala clones best the cornwall
clones as far as going lower. Better sound is a question I don’t know, I have all
4 of them powered with the same Pioneer A-9 and how it lives I don’t know. When
I alternate between the A and B speakers the cornwall
clones are louder so it’s not an easy comparison.

Anyway I am just having fun playing with the bass bins and I don’t pretend
to know a lot about this stuff. If I had some real La Scala’s I would build
something rather than butcher a proven design, if its not what you want or like
sell it and buy or build what you do. Adding the bottom ported boxes is a cheap
and easy project and if you don’t like it you don’t have to use it as it doesn’t
cost a lot to try. I built a pair of add-on ported boxes for the Peavey FH-1
bass bins and I like them too, $30 of plywood and no cutting up the original
cabs. It’s your speakers so do what ever it is you like but the ported La Scala
is an easy thing to try and if its not for you no big loss.

post-42841-1381968995371_thumb.jpg

If one had a split Lascala or just a Lascala cab with the top hat cut off. Could you build a riser like ported box and take off the access panel and do the mod out the bottom, or could you flip it up side down and do it that way. I am just asking.

Exactly right!A 10 inch tall box that will fit under the cab (removing the access cover), a couple of 4 inch diameter pieces of pvc pipe, 7 inches long. that's it. Maybe some light stuffing in the box.

This is about the same as opening up the top of the doghouse being opened up into the top of the regular LS cab.

Bruce

Thats what I needed to know, plus it will rise my Lascala enough to bring it up to the hight of the Khorns. I've got so good ideas now maybe next weekend will be speaker cabinet building.

Thanks Bruce.

djk - I read this thread a way back - very interesting - I was wondering about the dual ports at the back -do they have a dual function a) by acting as a vent for added air volume that is then exited through the dog house opening 2) radiate the sound from the back of the dual ports making the bass sound louder hence the 7db at 40hz -

-tx

Fritz , you are a way out from me - you mention that I have to reverse the wooder connection if I go the direct passive route - could you please expand on this though - tx

if you modify your cabinets to use your existing woofer in a front firing direct radiator mode like the Heresy and Cornwall, and if you use the existing LaScala crossovers, you will need to reverse the woofer connections. instead of pos to pos and neg to neg, you need to connect the crossover and woofer reverseing the connections at the woofer.

djk - I read this thread a way back - very interesting - I was wondering about the dual ports at the back -do they have a dual function a) by acting as a vent for added air volume that is then exited through the dog house opening 2) radiate the sound from the back of the dual ports making the bass sound louder hence the 7db at 40hz -

-tx

Randy,

The ports could go on the front if there was room. The porting allows tuning for a lower response. 7 x 4 inch seems to work the best. Longer, the bass starts to be a little loose.

Bruce

What would you change if you were building from scratch?

If you were building clones as per HDBRbuilders' plans but wanted to include this modification what would you change or do differently? I've been thinking about this since I'll have access to an awesome shop and advice from a pro for a couple of months.

This would partly depend on what mid horn you want to put in the cabinet. If you used a K401 or similar, I have thought about calculating the corner ports that have been used in somce of the dual bb cabinets. They might then fit in the top left and right corners. That way, you don't have them exit out the back.

Bruce

Gothovers' Fastrac or Eliptrac for the mid horn... I've been pretty impressed with his fastrac on my Cornwalls. I've just been looking for that horn loaded bass but I'm hoping to stretch it a little lower. I don't want to mess with the design too much