Horn Types, how do they sound?

The HR9040 basic design was taken to Peavey in about 1980 and used for the 90x60 horn on the Peavey SP-1, using a 1" throat and the Peavey 22a driver. This was later split into the MX-1 and FH-1 bins, and the MB-2 was added as a midbass driver for PA.

It was, I believe, two EV engineers that quit and went to work for Hartley Peavey, hence the heavy CD horn influence in the design. These can be had very cheap in the usual places for used stuff.

ClaudeJ1:

Thanks for that...I was not aware of the SP-1, and looking at one that is on EBay presently, I can see the strong family resemblence. The SP-1 looks to be designed for use for 500Hz and up, whereas for use with a KHorn, I would think that that original EV designs are better, as they can be driven from 350 Hz up.

On the other hand, the Peavey design, with a 1" throat makes driver selection much easier. While an ADH-1 adapter can be used on the EV series to enable 1" drivers, this increases the overall horn depth a couple of inches or more, and these are already pretty deep for use on top of a KHorn, keeping to the 1.3" throats.

Good to know, though, because I would otherwise favor a similar overall design with a Belle/lascala type bottom, or a vented bottom, maybe like a VOT style, with short front horn on the 15" with this SP-1 horn.

ClaudeJ1:

Thanks for that...I was not aware of the SP-1, and looking at one that is on EBay presently, I can see the strong family resemblence. The SP-1 looks to be designed for use for 500Hz and up, whereas for use with a KHorn, I would think that that original EV designs are better, as they can be driven from 350 Hz up.

On the other hand, the Peavey design, with a 1" throat makes driver selection much easier. While an ADH-1 adapter can be used on the EV series to enable 1" drivers, this increases the overall horn depth a couple of inches or more, and these are already pretty deep for use on top of a KHorn, keeping to the 1.3" throats.

Good to know, though, because I would otherwise favor a similar overall design with a Belle/lascala type bottom, or a vented bottom, maybe like a VOT style, with short front horn on the 15" with this SP-1 horn.

It's a very good sounding horn, but you need the usual passive or active compensation for the Constant Directivity at hight frequencies. My bottom bins are not true FH-1's but SP-1 bins with the treble section cut off, which I sold to a friend for his active networked bass reflex cabs.

I have a spare pair of SP-1 Xovers for a LaScala type K33 or K43 woofer and the MX-1 or SP-1 top end, which can accomodate a whole bunch of different 1" screw-in drivers, or bolt-on drivers with screw-in adapters. They have the built in compensation curve, So if anyone here ever needs them, just let me know. They can be had pretty cheap since I did my own xovers for the MB-1's, JBL's, and now, the K402's.

• 6 years later...

Hi, sorry for a very late addition to this series of posts. I just "recovered" the first of two HR9040a's i recently bought sprayed black (way back when) to glorious & shiny White Whale attire. I believe the shiny surface is part of the success this horn had (& has). Staring down into the flare makes me think even the "A" version of these just about justify calling them slot radiator, if the Smith horn is accepted as being one, having (as the HR6040a/9040a has in part) parallel side walls. The HR 6040/9040 i would class as slot radiators without even the slightest doubt, as they narrow the 1.3"/33mm driver entrance dia to something like a 18mm --well-- slot.

The Westlake versions of the Smith horn would add a short non-parallel expansion at their mouth. The EV HR "A" version offered this part after the paralell entrance section in the mid 70's already and didn't need the vanes to achieve broad horiz. dispersion, not even the HR120 had them.

The HP series used vanes, and i'd lke to tune in with the recommendation for HP640 as the best of the HP bunch (i tried 2/3/4 digits after the "HP" and prefer HR overall).

I still have to listen-compare a HR9040/6040 to "A" series, as the non-"A" are difficult to get over here in Germany. Interesting to read Jim Long's inputs on the White Whale production history. And given my horns were black when received, i have to say they look just like JBL2360's when standing vertically on your workbench with your head in their mouth while scaping away that old nitro-based black paint

Both EV original and JBL "adaptation" need a heavy-ish coat on their outside in order to sound good at home when crossed over low, see pic with the author busy on  a brace of (good sounding, too!) 2360A's. JBL2360 and 2360B are less in need of this coating, btw --  look for them if you loathe sticky stuff on your fingers

JBL2360[2von6].jpg

Edited by gibber
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 4/26/2020 at 12:23 PM, Flame traitor said:

I'm looking for a certain horn sound with little success, I know what it sounds like, but I don't know what sort of horn it is.

It's a five-blast horn and it goes something like this: Duh-daaaaaaaaaa! Duh-daaaaaaaaaa! Duh-daaaa duh-daaaa duh-daaaaaaaaaa!

Does it come with a sleeveless shirt and a banjo?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2020 at 2:52 AM, Davecv41 said:

Does it come with a sleeveless shirt and a banjo?

No, it doesn't come with a sleeveless shirt and a banjo, I first heard the sound from a kiddy bike when I was little and I want to use that sound in an animation, but because I don't know the sound's type name, I can't find it anywhere on the internet, so I can't make that animation. I tried (nearly) everything in the book, but it's no good, I've come to this forum so that anyone can help me identify and figure out the name of the horn type that I'm looking for.

Remember, it has five blasts and it goes 'Duh-daaaaaaaaaa! Duh-daaaaaaaaaa! Duh-daaaa duh-daaaa duh-daaaaaaaaaa!'.

46 minutes ago, Flame traitor said:

It's not a theme song, it's a type of horn sound effect, I'm trying to use it in a project, but can't find the sound.

Welcome to the forum and am almost certain you can be helped here. 

3 minutes ago, billybob said:

Welcome to the forum and am almost certain you can be helped here.

Ha, the welcome part maybe true, the helping part not so sure.  Seems we all  become more nuttier.  But yes great resources around here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hanksjim1 said:

All I know is "Ah-oooh-Ga"

I tried looking that up, but I couldn't exactly find the one I'm really looking for, there were lots of results, but the one I was looking for wasn't there, and in some cases, Sound Bible uses the old website layout, I reload the page, but it doesn't revert to the proper website layout.

• Like 1