Polarity of K-53 Titanium Mid Range Diaphragms

• 5 years later...

Man, I love this forum!

I just received my Ti mids from Wuzzzer in the mail and have my horns apart and noticed no polarity markings.

Knew right off where to look...

And here it is in a post from FIVE years ago by the very same gentleman I bought the diaphragms from!

It has taken me all of ten minutes to resolve my dilemna.

Positive is LARGE.

Right on.

And thanks Wuzzzer, twice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I stuck them in my favourite pair of Cornwalls. For starters.

A modded pair of ‘86 Cornwall 2s with K-107-ti tweeters, K-61tractrix mids (NOW WITH TITANIUM DIAPHRAGMS!), Crites CW2 crossovers with bandpass filters and soon-to-be Kappa 15C woofers. One step at a time...

The K-107-ti tweeters WERE dominating the presentation. Don’t get me wrong, I love the treble, but it was off balance.

Not anymore.

In this application the titanium mids REALLY bring it all together.

The “house curve” on my EQ is flat from 500 hz up now.

I expect the Kappa 15C woofers will sharpen the lower frequencies to the same extent.

Wuzzzer, thanks for helping me make a good thing better!

A19722A1-6A9C-49BF-9231-366E12A79AFC.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

Thanks gents.  Mine just arrived and there were no polarity markings so I did a quick google and this thread was at the top. Thanks again!

You will probably want to talk to Bob Crites, regarding an outboard band pass roll off between mid and tweeter.  

Regards,

John

Yep. Thanks. I’ll get to it later if I decide it’s truly necessary or I just need a 2 or 3 decibel decrease at 7k. For now I’m going to let them burn in for a good while with movies.

My only issue so far is the wire connector is too small for the large positive polarity on the diaphragm. I don’t want to cut the original off and crimp a larger connector in case I want to return to original diaphragms. I listen to more music with the Chorus II so I might eventually put these in the Chorus I which have movie duty but wanted to test with music on the Chorus II after burn in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yep. Thanks. I’ll get to it later if I decide it’s truly necessary or I just need a 2 or 3 decibel decrease at 7k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I had the Ti mids a slight cut at 7k worked for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SWL said:

When I had the Ti mids a slight cut at 7k worked for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Only listening at mid-low volumes for a bit here after leaving it playing for a few hours earlier and only testing with ambient music such as Vangelis.  Not sure it really needs the cut at 7k at this volume, but i went ahead and did a 3db cut-nothing detectable right now.  I can definitely pick up much more detail and clarity from the TI's at this volume but overall i'm not blown away as i expected to be. I'm generally a mid volume guy so maybe it will open up more the louder it goes.  What i am happy about at the volumes i've listened to is that i've been either impressed or neutral. No "love it or hate it" factor here as with most. I seem to be in the middle right now.  Of course things can change when i get up to "my" loud levels tomorrow.  It could end up being too bright as some have said, but i don't think so. It's just nothing drastic and instantly noticeable for me.  The only time i was ever instantly blown away by the difference was going from stock diaphragm to Ti tweeter in a KLF-10.  Perhaps it was much more noticeable due to it being a cheap poly diaphragm to Ti where as the phenolic is far superior to the poly so the difference won't be as noticeable?  I'll have more thoughts by the end of the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 6:36 PM, Maximus89 said:

My only issue so far is the wire connector is too small for the large positive polarity on the diaphragm. I don’t want to cut the original off and crimp a larger connector in case I want to return to original diaphragms.

I just used a small flat screwdriver and slowly opened up the positive connector until it fit.  Forgot to mention that in my previous post.

• Like 1