Outdoor speakers?

jtubbs6117

I have to say that I am not huge fan of Bose but at the same time I have give credit where it's due. I like the design of the 251 Environmental series never heard them but would like to read the opinions of the forum members. What speaker do you use for outdoor gatherings? Are they portable or installed? What types of equipment do power them with? The 3 driver design of the 251 is very intriguing to me

Driver complement

• Two (2) 212" environmental TwiddlerTM drivers per speaker

• One (1) 514" environmental woofer per speaker

Enclosure

• Dual-port molded polypropylene composite

• 10 months later...

those particular bose speakers are ok - I generally dislike most anything with that name on it

to answer your question I have the Klipsch KHO-7 speakers outside under our patio cover powered from zone 2 on my Denon in the living room. We have the same speakers at our land and they can play very loud/clear like most Klipsch speakers. I would suggest if you want to play anything loud or have any bass, get a speaker with a 6.5 inch woofer

• 2 weeks later...

I have (4) pairs of klipsch ca-8t strung around the house. I use (4) of them in my theater room for now until I upgrade my rears and surrounds, but the other (4) are ran as a pair on my patio and a pair in my garage. Patio is zone 2 off my living room receiver (only 50 watts / ch) and garage is ran off an old pioneer vsx 502( think 80/ch) I can barely turn them up. Even at low volume they sound excellent. And they carry plenty of low end even with receivers set flat thanks to the 8" woofers. Also Picked up an aw500sm recently that I plan on using as a center channel for the garage. Cannot comment on how it sounds yet.

• 1 month later...

I was using KP-250's and home made bass bins. I can't think of anything better. They were always under cover and never in the rain though. I used a Behringer amp on the bins and a QSC amp on the 250's. I've sold them and went to a smaller set up. I have some hanging KTP-100's with a Table Tuba supplementing the bottom end. It gets plenty loud for parties but not stupid loud like my last rig. They're running off an Adcom pre-amp and a Haffler amp.

We run a pair of Heresy III's in our garage with a rebuilt 1961 EICO Tube amp and an old Sony CD player. They sound excellent and with the big door open we can hear them just fine from our deck. - Glenn

post-10177-13819831241772_thumb.jpg

I have a pair of AW 650(replaced KHO-7s) mounted under the eve. (Take down over the winter)

Polk Audio Atrium Sub 10 passive sub

Kenwood Basic M1D amp and a Carver C-2 pre-amp.

Sounds great and most of my visitors say my outdoor system sounds better then their in home systems. [:D]

• 3 months later...

I have a portable solution, I wanted to add a zone to my existing setup but I'm to lazy to run the wires from my living room receiver out to the patio. So instead I bought a logitech UE bluetooth speaker. This little speaker has far exceeded my expectations great full sound and small enough to carry anywhere. This and my iPad streamimg spotify has worked well for me for the outdoor patio area.

http://ue.logitech.com/en-us/wireless-speakers/mobile-boombox .

post-42955-13819856624682_thumb.jpg