Cable/Wire's for RF3II system

jburkhardt

I just recently bought the complete ref. 3II system

with a ksw 12, Denon 3802 and a Denon 1600 dvd player.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on what

speaker wire to use as there are many choices out there. Biwire or not to biwire? My room is about 16x14

and my right main will have to go under/over a doorway.

I'm on a tight budget, but I know I need quality wire

and inter-connects for this system. S-video or compsite? (I'm going to upgrade my TV next year for componet). Thanks, JB

This message has been edited by jburkhardt on 05-23-2002 at 04:10 AM

JB,

The best answer is do a search on wires,interconnects,etc. You will find two camps here. Wire makes no difference and wire makes a difference (I'm in this camp).

Some members like Audio Quest,Monster, Home Depot, Radio Shack, etc.

After spending close to $1000 on wire in the last two years, I still would not recommend a speaker wire. It all has to do with what you like.

This weekend I'm going to build a pair of DIY superaltives interconnect's to use between my pre amp and amp. After I get my system back together (next weekend I'm changing out the breaker box to the house) I'll report back.

Check out this site,it will get you started.

http://www.audioasylum.com Go to FAQ and look up speaker wire.

www.davidmannaudio.com will show you a clear picture on how to bi-wire.

Good luck and ENJOY your system.

Danny

I would just get some 14ga. zip cord for a home improvement store. If you have runs that are longer than 50', you will have to go bigger. Also, whether or not you decide to bi-wire, you should replace the decrative gold jumpers. Those jumpers are not as good as a simple short piece of wire. The factory uses the jumpers because they look nice and they don't tarnish. If you do the zip cord (lamp cord) now you can always upgrade later for the big bucks.

I have decent wire on my system, but I can't tell the difference between it and 14ga zip cord. I have 10ga bi-wires on all three fronts and 14 Monster runs for the rears, 25' Monster Interlink 250 sub cable, and Monster Interlink 400 MKII interconnects thoughout including component cables. Through a few $100 digital cables and Monster RG-6 cables and that about does the main system. I was fortunate to get as many cables as I could get my hands on when a regional TV and Appliance chain went out of business. I worked in three states that had stores so I was able to cherry pick the good stuff at 60 to 70 percent off.

I still recomend 14ga zip cord to my friends though. Check out www.accessories4less.com for nicely priced interconnects. I feel interconnects are more important than speaker wire to a certain degree. Don't forget to buy a decent power conditioner / surge protector. I would at least get a Monster HTS1000. It just makes sense to protect your investment.

Good luck and enjoy!!

JT

------------------

Enjoy and Happy Listening!

I hooked my system up with some RCA 14 ga wire I

bought from Home depot for about $35 for a hundred ft.

I did biwire the center and mains. The sound is

amazing! Even without any tweaking, the Eagles "When

hell freezes over" sounds just like you're at the concert in 7ch stereo. I still need to do some configuring on the DVD player and the receiver, but I

just ran out of time. Thanks for all the advice!

JB