RF82 Driver movement

machin666

Hi guys

i recently bought RF82's as fronts RF62's as rears RC64 for my centre and a sw310 sub running from a yamaha 2071

well anyway its been working fine the last 3 weeks but today i went to watch resident evil Apocalypse on blu rau using the uncompressed 5.1 option and 2 and a half minutes into the movie the bass drivers on the 82's were moving a HUGE amount. even when the volume was on -40db and it was quiet they were moving heaps.. i listen to skrillex etc at -20db and the drivers move only a little but.. now im scared to watch the movie cause i might damage the speakers D:

can anyway test this movie out and see if they get the same results? ive used my pc and ps3 to play the movie and i get the same results D:

if you need more information feel free to ask :)

cheers matt

Hi guys

i recently bought RF82's as fronts RF62's as rears RC64 for my centre and a sw310 sub running from a yamaha 2071
well anyway its been working fine the last 3 weeks but today i went to watch resident evil Apocalypse on blu rau using the uncompressed 5.1 option and 2 and a half minutes into the movie the bass drivers on the 82's were moving a HUGE amount. even when the volume was on -40db and it was quiet they were moving heaps.. i listen to skrillex etc at -20db and the drivers move only a little but.. now im scared to watch the movie cause i might damage the speakers D:

can anyway test this movie out and see if they get the same results? ive used my pc and ps3 to play the movie and i get the same results D:

if you need more information feel free to ask :)

cheers matt

remember this, different sources have different gains so the volume from one source may be more or less than the next. Having your receiver at -40db with the drivers moving alot is funky sounding to me. Something has to be set wrong for that to happen where if you turn the volume up they move less. you should be able to keep those on full range and at a pretty loud volume and they shouldnt distort. They are supposed to have some good volume and you can tell when they distort.

id bet if you have a bass management option that its on and messing with things. I am talking aside from large/small.

If your drivers are moving alot it should be much louder than when it moves less. The physics of how a speaker work make this a true statement unless your speakers are producing subsonic waves that are inaudible to the ear which doesnt seem likely to me.

Almost sounds like a power / driver issue not working in harmony. I have 4 towers in my HT and set all speakers to small. I like the sub handleling the heavy bass. Even though large speakers can do a good job with bass, a good sub or two should be able to do a better job. Using this setting gives my amp more resevre and increased performance of my other speakers. Some people don't like their large towers set to small. That is not the point. I think of it as speakers set to small= bass management, set to large = no bass management for the most part by the avr.

try doing a full reset on your receiver. It should be listed in your manual how to do that or you will have to google it or research the manufacturers website to find it out. I would suggest testing with another amp or receiver if u can get your hands on one just to rule out the speakers as being defunct.

If your drivers are moving alot it should be much louder than when it moves less. The physics of how a speaker work make this a true statement unless your speakers are producing subsonic waves that are inaudible to the ear which doesnt seem likely to me.

If there was a lot of sound in the 20-30 Hz range and the towers were set to large, they would have alot of movement without much sound. Not neccessarily the case, but what you would expect to see in that situation. The "Double Bass" setting or something similar would further exagerate the problem.