E-V Patrician 800 speakers - goody!

Woodog

Man, those drivers really look like NOS compared to the cabinets!

I'd love to hear them. I recall looking at magazine pix of these things in awe back in the day.

Interesting seeing the horns vertically mounted. Seems like it would limit dispersion?

Dave

Murphy's Oil Soap and some 'oops' product to remove masking tape, some 000 steel wool and this is my first attempts to clean those cabinets... still lots of warts.. guess I'll live with 'em [:)]

There are also a lot of finishing nails on the front of the cabinets that broke off while trying to extract them (they don't really show, but they're definitely there). Gonna get a punch and some putty to fill the holes.

Pics Here

above link takes you here:

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r21/woodogs-world/Patrician%20800/03_25_2012/

Forrest

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So... how many of you put your finger under the kitchen sink stream to see how the water would behave?

(raises hand)

Forrest

Interesting seeing the horns vertically mounted. Seems like it would limit dispersion?

Those look like EV 8HD horns (I have a pair of them myself). They are diffrection horns, and have wider dispersions when mounted vertically, with 120 x 90 degrees. Works the same way placing your finger just under one side of a water stream, and it deflects to the same side.

Bruce

I was looking into cane for one of my projects and found this link. They seemed to have a good supplyof cane products in large sizes that may be helpful to you. I can't really tell but ifyou sent them a sample they may be able to match or you may be able to tell just by looking at their sample page.

http://www.franksupply.com/caning/press-in-caning.html#webbingsheets

Great project and I am glad that it found you. Many would have just raped and pillaged

I was looking into cane for one of my projects and found this link.

http://www.franksupply.com/caning/press-in-caning.html#webbingsheets

Great project and I am glad that it found you. Many would have just raped and pillaged

The audiokarma folks suggested this site, so I'm just putting it out there.. also seems like a good resource

http://www.wendellfabrics.com/mellotonefabricsamples.html

Forrest

I finally got around to working on the cabinets. I used Howard's Restor-a-Finish (Walnut) and 0000 Steel Wool for application.

the before pictures show some preliminary cleaning with Murphy's Oil Soap

Before

After

They are shaping up nicely, still lots of warts (discoloration, gouges, etc) but the restor-a-finish is a great product.

Forrest

I finally got around to working on the cabinets. I used Howard's Restor-a-Finish (Walnut) and 0000 Steel Wool for application.

Before

After

They are shaping up nicely, still lots of warts (discoloration, gouges, etc) but the restor-a-finish is a great product.

Forrest

I like the way it is turning out. Very cool.

Before

After

Forrest

Lookin' good WooDog, night and day difference already[:D]

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw your Patrician 800 post after doing a Google search and joined Klipsch.com immediately. First, I want to congratulate you on a "find of a lifetime". Properly restored, your Patrician 800s are worth $10,000 to $15,000 on the Japanese market. I built a pair of these speakers using plans I bought from ElectroVoice back in 1977 but modified the blueprints (with the help of a draftsman) considerably to make assembly easier. If you Google Patrician 800, my Patrician 800 appears to the left of the group of 5 pics (the one with the pinkish couch) and looks similar to the E.V. Traditional model . A writeup of mine accompanies the photo on another site.

I looked at your photobucket pics and was very surprised to see that the drivers were 8 ohms! I NEVER saw these in 8 ohms but only in 16 Ohms. The original crossover for the 16 ohm version had a 280 MF Cap for the 30W with a 9mh coil which gave a slope of 12DB/octave. The later 30Ws did come in 8 ohms as a single driver but I never saw an 8ohm 30W installed as original equipment. One of the engineers (Bob) at E.V. back in 1977 told me I needed to redesign the 16 OHM crossovers to accomodate the 8 OHM drivers made at that time. I used EVM12Ls, 1823Ms with 8HD horns for mid highs and T-350s which were incredible tweeters!

If your drivers were updated to 8 OHM to accomodate transistorized amps instead of tubes, the coil values needed to be halved while the caps needed to be doubled in size according to E.V. engineering. My cap was 560 Mfd and my coil was 4.5 mh for the 30W. It worked great but biamping was far better. Your AT38 pots do need replacing. I used Violet wirewound pots which worked great. They were available a few years ago and are much more heavy duty than what came with the original Patricians.

When you reinstall the 30Ws, make sure you rotate the cone as gravity will tend to move the voice coil close to the magnet and might buzz. Do NOT loosen the magnet screws as you need a special jig to recenter that super strong magnet. I saw that special jig back in 1977. I'll bet no one has one to help you out. Good luck with your restore! Regards, Bill T.

Thanks Bill for an informative post on these beasties!

I'll have my crossovers coming back from Bob Crites and as soon as the grill cloth arrives I'll have them back up. The info on rotating the woofer is especially nice as I was intending to keep all drivers in their original orientation. I'll rotate it!

There was a pair in similar style on Ebay recently that didn't even get a nibble at $7500, so ya never know.

The plan was to keep these around for a year or so and enjoy them, then sell to finance a rebuild of my piano that I also bought, but after looking into the guts of the piano (a Baldwin model L from 1954) I realize it's not going to cost what I thought it would, especially doing the work myself, which I enjoy, so knowing me I'll probalby keep these if the sound is pleasing enough. [:D]

On one of the speakers the quarter round molding shattered when coming off (my ignorance in how they were mounted) but I got it glued back together fairly well. Might get a woodworker to reconstruct a new one. There's NO way to replace the grill cloth without total disassembly - same goes for the molding.

Again, thanks for the information. I was fortunate to be able to get these and want to get them back as close as possible to original.

all best,

Forrest

Thanks Bill for an informative post on these beasties!

I'll have my crossovers coming back from Bob Crites and as soon as the grill cloth arrives I'll have them back up. The info on rotating the woofer is especially nice as I was intending to keep all drivers in their original orientation. I'll rotate it!

There was a pair in similar style on Ebay recently that didn't even get a nibble at $7500, so ya never know.

The plan was to keep these around for a year or so and enjoy them, then sell to finance a rebuild of my piano that I also bought, but after looking into the guts of the piano (a Baldwin model L from 1954) I realize it's not going to cost what I thought it would, especially doing the work myself, which I enjoy, so knowing me I'll probalby keep these if the sound is pleasing enough. Big Smile

On one of the speakers the quarter round molding shattered when coming off (my ignorance in how they were mounted) but I got it glued back together fairly well. Might get a woodworker to reconstruct a new one. There's NO way to replace the grill cloth without total disassembly - same goes for the molding.

Again, thanks for the information. I was fortunate to be able to get these and want to get them back as close as possible to original.

all best,

Forrest

Glad your considering keeping these. They should go up in value in the long run.

One other important point regarding amplification. Somewhere in your posts you mentioned distortion. You guessed it may be coming from noisy pots. That may be the case but...another possibilty is these Patricians will not function on what seems to be "quality" 2 channel amps or receivers. Example, I had a Marantz 4300 that would clip heavily at higher volumes on my Patricians causing a nasty "cracking sound" through all drivers. Even though my Marantz receiver was supposed to handle 4 ohm loads it could not. I experimented and placed a 2 ohm high wattage resistor in series with the speakers and it cured the problem. I then removed the resistor and switched to a high output Kenwood M2A with a high damping factor and the problem was resolved. My Kenwood amp could also handle 2 ohm loads. My 30Ws read DC resistance of about 3.8 ohms on each coil. At a very low frequency such as 30 Hz, I don't believe there is very much inductive reactance to add to the DC resistance.

Update: I have the speaker cloth in. The crossovers are back.

Still have some minor blemish repair to do as well as a fabrication of a panel to mount the new attenuators in (pics will be forthcoming, but you'll see what I'm talking about). Removal of staples and the purchase of a staple gun to mount the fabric.

I think they'll be done by the end of the weekend. As always, I plan to take a LOT of pictures and post the link to them.

Colter - I will send you the old cloth as I promised. The stuff from WendelFabrics is pretty nice.

Excited? Yes! [:P]

Forrest

Dang... didn't get them done this weekend. Will probably be next weekend.

Whoever decided not to standardize staple guns and staples should be shot. I spent a very frustrating Sunday afternoon looking for such and still didn't end up with the correct stuff.

Cabinets sure are pretty, though.

Forrest