Update caps won't improve bass performance?

hrudugu

I posted this question on AK forum but don't receive any repands.

I got a pair Heresy long time ago, installed new caps from BC and
weeks later they sound beautiful; the highs and the mids! But the bass?
no change what ever. Now look at the crossover schematics A, B and E and
you will see the signals to the woofer won't go through the caps at
all. Please correct me.

So updating the caps won't improve bass performance?

It is just a general question about A, B and C crossover design and not about the Heresy.

~~~

Caps can improve the bass.

If you pull the fuse for the HF on a newer Klipschorn all the 'punch' goes away.

'Punch' in the bass comes from an integrated wavefront, the leading edge of a squarewave is mids and HF.

When you listen to a time-aligned two-way system you can change the level of the HF a fraction of a dB and the 'punch' goes away. I use a good recording of a snare drum to adjust the network properly. When you get the levels correct the sound comes into focus and the drums have incredible 'punch'. With a stepped attenuator that had 1/4dB steps on the HF, mis-adjusting the level by one step make the sound go out-of-focus and lose 'punch'. The interesting part about this is that the people listening could tell that you had changed something, but were unable to answer 'was the level raised, or lowered by 1/4dB'.

Changing the caps in that crossover will not affect low frequency output but, as djk said, the perception of bass includes the harmonics. On many instruments, the harmonics can be higher in output than the fundamental, so changing the caps will affect the perception of the sound of bass instruments.

Changing the caps in that crossover will not affect low frequency output but, as djk said, the perception of bass includes the harmonics. On many instruments, the harmonics can be higher in output than the fundamental, so changing the caps will affect the perception of the sound of bass instruments.

So what everyone is trying to say is that changing caps doesn't affect the bass, but it does affect your perception of the strength and quality of the bass by changing the higher frequencies. I agree 100%. When setting up some multi-amped systems back in the old days, the bass systems never really had their "oomph" until the mid and high drivers were brought online. (Despite being operated at exactly the same levels and frequency range.)