what level do you have your sub compared to front speaker levels?

ousig

hey all

it seems most things I read people have their sub level down (in db terms) compared to the fronts.

I let my Denon set up the speaker levels and I noticed it had my fronts and center at +7 and the sub at -5. I presume I am more of a bass head than most maybe but the only way I have been able to make it sound good to me is +2 for the fronts and +6 for the sub...

I used my RS SPL meter and basically set the fronts to 87 DB and the sub to 92 DB with the manual test tone on my receiver.

by no means does it sound "bass heavy" to me at these settings so I just cant imagine why the "normal" setting would be so much different? What does everyone else set their sub at compared to the other speakers?

sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum - move if needed

the Denon set the front and center to large after the mic calibration but I put them all to small and the crossover at 80hz manually after. I have the sub level at about 50% on the sub. It sounds great to me but I cant imagine any LESS bass at all...if anything I want more [:D]

yes I use a Yconnector

ousig, If you've got it dialed in to what sounds right to your ears, that's the key. The + or - numbers don't really mean much. There are huge differences in the various rooms will cause the sound to load. Furnishings and finishes and room dimensions are significant factors. IMO you've done the hard work already. enjoy!

I tend to agree with you. I am still wondering why my Denon set the sub so low in the calibration...but like you say I love the sound at my settings so cant complain.

now I am a bit more of a bass head than a let myself on considering I still have my car stereo in my Acura that I put together in college still that easily hits 120 DB at 35hz/ but I have Focal separates in the doors that remind me of the beautiful bright Klipsch sound!

so you can understand why I love loud CLEAR/CLEAN music

it is a main Afrodisiac if you ask me.

does anyone else have similar settings ?

My Onkyo with audessy set my mains at +5 and they are Energy speakers that aren't as efficient as Klipsch. It set my sub to -12 and I had the gain only at about 1/3 volume. There was not nearly enough bass for me so I turned the gain of the sub up a bit and usually set my sub at -3 to 0 for music.

I know this is the 2 channel section, but if you want to find out if you sub is set too hot, throw in the Tron Legacy BluRay and turn it up a little shy of reference level. You will then understand where you sub is at in regards to hot/cold in relation to the rest of your speakers (:

hey all

it seems most things I read people have their sub level down (in db terms) compared to the fronts.

I let my Denon set up the speaker levels and I noticed it had my fronts and center at +7 and the sub at -5. I presume I am more of a bass head than most maybe but the only way I have been able to make it sound good to me is +2 for the fronts and +6 for the sub...

I used my RS SPL meter and basically set the fronts to 87 DB and the sub to 92 DB with the manual test tone on my receiver.

by no means does it sound "bass heavy" to me at these settings so I just cant imagine why the "normal" setting would be so much different? What does everyone else set their sub at compared to the other speakers?

sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum - move if needed

The Radio Shack meter needs to have the below correction added to there readings.

Hz Correction

10 20.5
12.5 16.5
16 11.5
20 7.5
25 5
31.5 3
40 2.5
50 1.5
63 1.5
80 1.5