Audyssey question

The Dude

I recently picked up last years model but new Onkyo TX-NR, I did the Audyssey setup. It seemed to set my Cornwalls small, and 10ft from listening position when they are about 7ft. If I go in and change this manually will it mess with anything or should I leave it alone. Does this happen to others.

Thanks

Duder

Audyssey usually gets the distances spot on...Did you have the microphone on a tripod? Fwiw, I would leave the Cornwalls as Small if you have a capable sub but I would think on most systems the AVR would see those speakers as large...In a nutshell your results don't sound normal and I would run it again.

In my experience, Audyssey can be enywhere from 15% to 100% off on speaker distances. I have had it read speakers that were 12 feet away as 24 feet. In my opinion, Pioneer's MCACC is the most accurate of all the room eqs, but still not accurate enough to use.

Fwiw, I don't know where you are getting that "MCACC is the most accurate of all room eqs" and then end by saying but still not accurate enough to use. [:S] I admit to having no experience with the MCACC but what I am reporting about speaker distances being accurate is from this thread at AVSForum: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=795421

Insofar as MCACC being the most accurate of all the room eqs could you please provide the link to where you got that information. Thanks.

In my experience, Audyssey can be enywhere from 15% to 100% off on speaker distances. I have had it read speakers that were 12 feet away as 24 feet. In my opinion, Pioneer's MCACC is the most accurate of all the room eqs, but still not accurate enough to use.

Fwiw, I don't know where you are getting that "MCACC is the most accurate of all room eqs" and then end by saying but still not accurate enough to use. Tongue Tied I admit to having no experience with the MCACC but what I am reporting about speaker distances being accurate is from this thread at AVSForum: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=795421

Insofar as MCACC being the most accurate of all the room eqs could you please provide the link to where you got that information. Thanks.

I said that in my opinion it is the most accurate. That is based on using both Audyssey and MCACC several times in multiple rooms. With my tests, MCACC was always closer than Audyssey.

I said that in my opinion it is the most accurate. That is based on using both Audyssey and MCACC several times in multiple rooms. With my tests, MCACC was always closer than Audyssey.

Cool. I just wanted to clarify that your conclusion was based on your own results and not the consensus of others. Fwiw, your results are out of the ordinary in regard to what people are reporting about Audyssey, although it is agreed that no eq program is for everyone.

I've got the older Audyssey MulitEQ XT in my Onkyo PR-SC886 and have always had great results. I'd love to get a newer Onkyo to get MultiEQ XT32 since I've read it makes a big difference but I'm so happy with what I've got I can't justify spending the money.

I've never used MCACC but I can say I'm much happier with Audyssey than I was with Yamaha YPAO.

• Moderators

I'd love to get a newer Onkyo to get MultiEQ XT32 since I've read it makes a big difference

Just looked to check what models the XT32 is in, it's only the top two models the rest have the regular XT. I was hoping it went a little further down the line.

I think all the autocalibration systems have their good and not so good points. MCACC has great room correction, Audyssey has better bass equalization due to the 8 filters for the sub and so on. As far as distance, physical distance is not as important as the timing of the sound waves to the sweet spot. Someone already mention that bass frequencies can throw off the distance of the physical measurement so, this is not a good point to get hung up on.

I recently picked up last years model but new Onkyo TX-NR, I did the Audyssey setup. It seemed to set my Cornwalls small, and 10ft from listening position when they are about 7ft. If I go in and change this manually will it mess with anything or should I leave it alone. Does this happen to others.

Thanks

Duder

Audyssey does not determin your speaker size or spacinng, it simply calobrates EQ. Your AVR is doing all the measurments and speaker sizing.

This was told to me by the Audyssey people when I asked them directly about the same questions.

I have done a ton of experimenting with Audyssey and in the end I found that turning Audyssey off produced the best results, haha.

You will get a much fuller broad sound without Audyssey, try comparing and you will see for yourself.

• Moderators

It probably has to do with how screwed up your room is in position to you speakers and room reflections, some rooms may not benefit, some it may make a big difference ?

I never had any auto adjustments but since it measures the sound after it bounces around your room you would think it depends or each room as to how much if any it helps ?

The different models/programs of room correction may measure in different ways or even measure different things with different results so you would think there not going to be all the same. ?

Just a guess since I never had it to try.

I need to find my tripode and redo the setup other then the left side being brighter then the right do to me not having a way to have the setup mike equal distance from the left as opposed to the right things are a bit off. But all in all it all ready sounds better then my HK.

As far as Audyssey it self goes I always thought it was a program designed to make adjustments for odd room modes, but what do I know.

Thanks

Duder

Audyssey does not determin your speaker size or spacinng, it simply calobrates EQ. Your AVR is doing all the measurments and speaker sizing.

This was told to me by the Audyssey people when I asked them directly about the same questions.

I have done a ton of experimenting with Audyssey and in the end I found that turning Audyssey off produced the best results, haha.

You will get a much fuller broad sound without Audyssey, try comparing and you will see for yourself.

+1

...As far as Audyssey it self goes I always thought it was a program designed to make adjustments for odd room modes, but what do I know.

Fwiw, you really need to use a tripode to get the best results.

I relize that now, I have one some were just need to get away from the computer and look for it.

• Moderators

What does the tripod do, keep the mic from being to close to other surfaces ?

Where do you put the mic, where you would normally sit, what height, about head height when sitting ?

Never had Audyssey before.