The 300$ 4.2 system

fawwaz

Many of you might have noticed that the 4.2 are being now offered as 300$ value from the previous 400$ value!they say to compensate those who cant wait for 4.1!!!

Well hell the 4.1 is sold at the klipsch store and the 4.2 is only being sold at klipsch store for 300$.

Does this mean that the 2.1 are that much over valued that klipsch can cut off a 100$ from 2 peices which is 25% discount (they arent losing money or need it since 4.1 are selling like hot cakes right wink.gif )

Well I am thinking about it and for all of you how say that this is a special offer (rread) and Special offer my arse! (Giants Kaboto biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif )

I still think 4.1 is better than 4.2!!

I dunno, the 2.1's are supposed to be similar to the 4.1's if the rears are disabled, therefore woudln't 2 of them actually be a 4.1 with an extra sub? (in sound quality/output) I realize the wattage differences and the fact that the sub in the 2.1 only has one driver.

-Gxcad

c>

The 4.1's are significantly better then the 4.2, the 4.2 satellites are only 35 watts each while the 4.1 are 60 watts (that's a,most twice as loud), at half the volume of 4.1 u are already hearing the max output of what the 4.2 has to offer, then again with the subs, the 4.1 has 2 drivers (160 watts) while the 4.2 has 1 (130 watts). the main difference is the sub placement, if u have one behind u then u got a unit that can pick up all the low frequencies in the rear and also give u rumbling from behind, pretty cool if u ask me for 3d sound shooter games or movies.

quote:

the 4.2 satellites are only 35 watts each while the 4.1 are 60 watts (that's a,most twice as loud)

That is incorrect. In order to get twice the "loudness", you need 10 times the power, not two times. The 4.1s are maybe 2 or 3db louder, which is hardly noticable.

from an engineering point of view Distec is correct,but I also want to add that the postion of the Sub won't differ because all frequncies below 150Hz are not reconizable(postion wise ) to the ear. so having the sub anywhere in the room would produce the same effect.

Think of it like if you are in a street you close your eyes ,and it just happens that a diansour is passing by .You wouldn't know if he was in front or back of you! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif damn Iam dead now!

I still think the 4.1 is better!

Although bass below 80hz is omni-direction, room acoustics play a major role in how a speaker system sounds. Standing waves and room reverberation can greatly alter the sound. Having two subs across the room from each other is usually a big nono, as a great deal of the bass is cancelled out. Also, as many others have found out, corner loading the sub gives a greater bass effect, although often at the expense of frequency response. To say a sub placed anywhere in a room will have the same sound is incorrect; just because you can't tell where the sound comes from doesn't mean you can't tell the quality of sound.

My friend, I couldn't agree more , but what i was saying is so many is giving credit to 2 subs becauses one is in the front and one is in the rear (nobody mentiones corners) so I just wanted to say that if you place a sub behind you it wouldn't mean that you would hear the bass from behind you!(i didn't discuss the premium postion)

Its 150Hz not 80Hz (are you also an engineerng student?)

quote:

which do you think is better, distec? 60w sats and a 160w sub (actually 2 80w subs in one), or 35w satts and two 130w subs?

Well, you can't compare speakers on wattage alone. At 87db, a medium effecient speaker only needs about 1 watt of power. Unless you plan on playing speakers above 105db, you'd only be using a fraction of the power available. The differences between the 4.1s and 2.1s power ratings are negligable.

Personally, I would get the 4.1s just on convience alone. You only deal with one amp and one volume control. Two 2.1s are just a hassle IMO. Otherwise they are pretty much the same.

Of course, I just sold my v.2 400s to someone who would appreciate them more than I. I'm planning on spending ~$700 on a new pair of speakers and amp, to satisfy my music tastes.(the pros just didn't cut it) cool.gif

I think the 4.2's is a great idea. The only complaint I have with any of the pro's is that they don't have enough bass. The midrange and highs are way too over powering. So if you get 2 subs with 260 watts in all, it's better. The sats don't need alot of power, they are extremely efficient.

And having to adjust 2 control pods? Set both pods at the same volume and then adjust the volume with the volume control in windows!! Or just have both speakers with the pods in front so you can reach them easily, but wire the speakers up correctly to their respective location. That doesn't make sense.

I'd take the 4.2's over the 4.1's any day, but actually I just want 3 sets of 2.1's for ht.

LOL.. not enough bass.. hehe. Wattage don't mean anything if the drivers can't handle it. You could get urself a 200W 6" sub.. but it wont do any good... cause the 6" will give only soo much bass. More wattage is needed only for larger drivers becuase of thir moving mass and pressure that is created . Sounds like the bass that you are looking for is something from a 10 or 12" driver. My 4.1 have plenty of bass.. actally too much at times to where I turn the sub down.. really depends on what I am doing - Im no bass freak.. I would rather have accurate bass thna a lot of it. I got tired of boomy, distorted bass - does nothing for ya.

As for the control pods.. try adjusting windows volume while your in a game..

4.1 is plenty.. If anything, your best bet would be to get the 4.1 and then add a powered center and a larger sub to it like a 10 or 12" but even that would be overkill.. remember, you will really only be using the potential of your 6.3 setup when you watch DVDs.. but hey.. whatever floats your boat.. enjoy and have fun - I just hope the end result is what you really want. Best of luck.

------------------

All Your Base Are Belong To Us

-------------------------------------

1GHz TBird

Abit KT7A-RAID

FOP38 & CuShim

Kingmax 256MB PC150

Annihilator2 32MB GTS

Intel Pro100+Management NIC

Promise Ultra100

IBM 75GXP 45GB ATA100 & Maxtor DMP6800 27.2GB ATA66

Plextor 16X10X40A Sony 12X DVD

SBLive! 5.1

AOpen HX08 Full Tower 300W

Sony CPD-G400 19" Triny

ProMedia 4.1

Don't get me wrong, I too hate boomy, messy bass. I have to have accurate and perfect bass, but I do like a big sound. Having 2 pro subs, or in my future case 3, doesn't nessesarily mean more bass, but maybe less strained bass. If you have 2 subs you won't have to turn the bass up as much to get the same amount of bass. So the subs won't be working as hard and they will sound better. Plus with my 6.3 idea with the extra ht sub will just make the bass that much easier for the subs to make. I love the bass from my current 2.1's, it's beautiful. But I'd still prefer a separate sub so I can keep the bass low on the pro's and use the pro's more for upper bass and everything up from there. I just think it would have better over all sound quality.

Plus, I'm obsessed with sound reproduction and all the toys that go along with it.

No offense...cuz I own the 4.1's and I love them...but if you are truly obsessed with high quality sound, the ProMedia's are just the tip of the iceberg...yes, you can spend thousands of dollars more for the right speakers, but THAT would prove your obsession. =)

Ken

If I had thousands of dollars, you better believe I'd be spending money on stereo and computer equipment left and right. In fact if I only had $2k to live off of for the next 4 months, I'd spend more than half of that on equipment. But I'm broke and I have way too many bills. But hey, that doesn't mean I can't afford the pro's. And for right now they are good enough toys. I like to keep a good rotation of toys and I ussually don't keep any of them for more than a year.

I feel with you Billie Jean ,every time one think's he's finally got it right something better comes along, or a new upgrade is needed for a certain software,like when I got my geoforce 2 GTS , in a month time the Ultra came out ,and the value of my card dropped significantly.

Will this never end!!!

Most hardware customers are students who want to play games (at least me) and listen to great audio ,but there is always an upgrade on the way and a billion dollar industry.

Maybe the optical computer(which haven't been designed or may have biggrin.gif) will solve of gamers problems, but hey what about the billion dollar indusrty:?

Damn it I hate this when it happens!!!