Sweet Spot

beatbrother

I'm building a dedicated HT room and I will have about 8 seats available in it.

I'll probably buy the THX Ultra 2 System, but I was wondering about the sweetspot.

Is it possible to balance them out to get an overal good sound quality on each seat ?

Do they give a good spread or is it only good in 1 place the sweetspot so it doesn't sound good in the rest ?

• Moderators

I'm building a dedicated HT room and I will have about 8 seats available in it.

I'll probably buy the THX Ultra 2 System, but I was wondering about the sweetspot.

Is it possible to balance them out to get an overal good sound quality on each seat ?

Yes you will have a good sound in any of the 8 seats.

Do they give a good spread or is it only good in 1 place the sweetspot so it doesn't sound good in the rest ?

It may be a little better in the one place but I doubt anyone would really notice, the other seats will also sound really good, they may hear a "little more" from one or two speakers they are a little closer to. But the way the sound travels around the room in movies you would really have to listen for it and may not even know the difference if it's the movie or the receiver settings.

I would just set it to the center of the front seats or slightly behind that, depending on how the seats are setup, and not worry about it, you will be happy with the overall sound once everything get adjusted.

Have fun

Welcome [Y]

Ahaa, so it is good in any of the 8 seats.

Is that applicable to any kind of speaker-system or is the THX Ultra 2 a very good system for that ?

They told me that for some systems, when you have balanced the sound for the sweetspot, moving a little to the left or right,

it will give a totally different kind of sound.

• Moderators

I don't have a dedicated HT room. just a living room, and the seating is spread out a little more. I would say it would be good for any speaker that is capable of filling the room correctly= not some of the smaller speakers straining in to big of a space.

The THX speakers your looking at I have never heard a complete set, i have only heard the subs for that system. I got to hear the subs in two different forum members homes, they sounded very good.

When I move from different areas it does sound a little different but not bad in any way, I still hear everything perfectly well but just from a slightly different angle. The dialog is still where it should be in the center, L & R sounds are still where they should be and effects from the rear are still in the rear.

When I think of "sweet spot" I think more of 2 CH stereo where it is much more important to be in the perfect spot to get the best imagining. With Ht/multi channel it is ( to me) not as important because your getting sounds from many directions almost constantly and it's constantly changing with each scene.

No matter where you sit if a sound changes from lets say front right to the back left side it's going to sound like that no matter where you sit.

You have nothing to worry about, after you have everything set up and running move to each seat as a movie is playing, your going to be surprised how good it sounds from every seat.

• Moderators

sweet spot - this is normally where my wife sitsStick out tongue

Good answer, from an obviously married man. [Y]

Looking at your past and present equipment/speaker list you have been around the block hearing many different setups and speakers. [Y]

What you think about how it will sound in other than the center front seat, in the average room ? Anything to worry about.

I ask because the more opinions the better.

In order to get the best sweet spot in an HT with multiple rows, you need to make sure that your room has plenty of space to the sides and rear of the gallery. Your sides need to be out, away from the side seating. Also, the closer the seating is to the wall, the more the subwoofers will produce bad peaks. With the Ultra II speakers, I'd highly recommend getting the widest possible accoustically transparent screen you can afford/fit and mouting the speakers behind. Also, two subs are better than one!