Tuba HT

JasonJCarney

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 channel of an old onkyo stereo receiver, admitedly i never got it set up perfectly but it was ok the way i had it.

it is a tht 36x36x24 and rolls off at 20 hz by design.

i had played test tones up to around 15 volts input (*20,22,24,26,28,30 so on) and it would make me dizzy.

Sorry, I've been at the hospital.

Your receiver has a low pass filter in the subwoofer management section. It sends everything below a pre-determined set point (say 80Hz for example) to your sub. In movie soundtracks you could be getting info on that chanel to 10 Hz or lower. As thaddeussmith said, the high pass filter will cut out those frequencies below the box tuning point and protect the driver. If your box is tuned to 20 Hz (I think the THT is somewhere between 20 and 25 Hz) and you send a strong 15Hz signal to it, the driver will try to reproduce that signal and travel past it's safe limits in doing so. You'll hear the dreaded "CLACK" as the driver bottoms out. Too much of that and you'll need a new driver. If you use the sub mostly for music, it's not that critical, but for HT at "let's impress my friends" volumes, it's a must.

So the minidsp is plug and play and acts as a highpass?

It's programable. You can program it however you want it. Any frequency, any slope. It can be a high pass filter, low pass filter or any type crossover. For specifics, I think you can pick psg's brain. I believe he has one in use with his THT. I use a BFD, but I bought mine before the minidsp's were around.

This is really only half DIY. The cabinet and sub were designed and picked out by bill fitzmaurice. The cabinet was made by a professional cabinet maker. The onkyo takes care of the signal. All I need is a plug and play highpass filter. I'm not looking to eq the crap out of this thing. It's sounds good as is to be honest. I just want to throw more power at it than I currently have available and add the HPF to keep the driver safe.

This is really only half DIY. The cabinet and sub were designed and picked out by bill fitzmaurice. The cabinet was made by a professional cabinet maker. The onkyo takes care of the signal. All I need is a plug and play highpass filter. I'm not looking to eq the crap out of this thing. It's sounds good as is to be honest. I just want to throw more power at it than I currently have available and add the HPF to keep the driver safe.

oh fun, arguing semantics.

regardless of who built it, it's a non-commercial offering and made from DIY plans. it's a DIY sub and therefore requires additional effort to make it work in your setup, including careful thought about the power and equalization in order to safe perform at its maximum potential. when you buy a commercial sub, engineers do that on your behalf in order to a) protect their product from warranty issues and B) make it a simple plug and play solution for consumers. it sounds like you didn't do much research to see what you were getting into - diy subs give you a TON of flexibility and many of us are trying to illustrate that by talking about various placement options, power options, and equalization options. it's not our fault you're in over your head and have realized you bought something that isn't quite what you thought you were looking for.

go research the options out there. go read some of the THT threads out there and see what others are doing.

I was looking over the minidsp website. It honestly seems like a time consuming nightmare. I'm not into programming anything at this point. I can't believe there is not a plug and play filter out there somewhere.

It really isn't that bad for a simple high-pass as there is no measuring involved. However there may be cheaper solutions for such a simple task. I use my miniDSP for high-pass and EQ (which requires measuring response; I used REW).

Of course, if you don't go crazy loud, then high-pass is not strickly required. Play Tron and measure the voltage applied to your THT to see how close you get to 28 V.

Meh.... Maybe I'll just set this thing a blaze and end my misery!

Relax. A low pass filter is mandatory and it sounds like you have that covered, but the high pass is not. I don't have one on my tuba table and have no problems at all, and am not planning on using one on the Cinema F-20 currently under construction. However I am not out to impress the neighbors or shake loose the foundation of the house. The high pass is really needed if you want to crank it up, and mine seems to have plenty to offer without a lot of power.

Of course, if you don't go crazy loud, then high-pass
is not strickly required. Play Tron and measure the voltage applied to
your THT to see how close you get to 28 V.

Relax. A low pass filter is mandatory and it sounds like you have that covered, but the high pass is not. I don't have one on my tuba table and have no problems at all..

Agreed.

The THT doesn't need a high-pass at all. Keep it simple. All you need at the moment is a basic home theater sub amp. You've mentioned a desire for something with a chassis form factor.

There's the:

Dayton SA-230

Dayton SA-1000 (I happen to actually own one, it's packed with features that you may find useful in the future, and highly recommend it [Y])

Speakercraft Basspower 200/250

Velodyne SC-600D (another fully featured amp)

Klipsch RSA-500

Klipsch KA-1000 (if you want to break the bank)

The THT has an excursion maximum at 22 Hz with a signal of 28V [:|]. When properly placed in a room, that's ~125dB SPL conservatively speaking , and enough to make someone very uncomfortable.

The bottom line is I wouldn't get wrapped up about not having a High-Pass filter to protect the driver. The THT doesn't need it. Focus on the fundamentals first:

1.Get a good chassis amp that's worth your money.

2. Setting the bass management on the Onkyo correctly (can't be stressed enough)

3. Use a multimeter to confirm voltages going into the THT at your preferred listening levels using test tones.

4. Enjoy your purchase.