ProMedia 2.1 Sub-Woofer Amplifier Not Working

ckh

I have the old style ProMedia 2.1, the heavy one with the power switch on the back. It has been working great for many years but now the sub-woofer sound is not being amplified anymore. If I disconnect the left and right speakers I can turn up the volume and hear the muted sound from the sub-woofer. I read through the forums, looked at the internals and did some test with the help of the diagrams at http://www.thompdale.com/bash_amplifier/2-1/2-1_bash_amp.htm (Great diagrams and write-up btw.)

• DIN connector is OK. Wiggling doesn't affect anything. The connection
    looks solid. The voltage on the Control Port looks OK (P501:1,
    P501:9).
  • Visually everything looks fine. No components look burned and the soldering looks ok as well.
  • Sub-woofer relay seems to be engaging fine (click just a fraction
    after plugging the sub-woofer in). Also I doubt I would hear a muted
    sub-woofer sound if the relay would not engage (close).

I'm not sure what else I could try. Does anybody have any experience with this issue, know if it's possible and economical to replace some components, or get it serviced.

My sub and speakers have also given up the ghost recently. I had the DIN plug replaced on the control pod for the speakers, but this hasn't helped. Jiggling the plug produces static popping and sometimes the satellites will work, but not the sub. So I'm guessing the problem is internal to the subwoofer now. I don't have any solution for you, but I would be interested in pursuing a repair option on the sub if it is economical.

spseal, I'm curious if you have the same issue. Have you tried to disconnect the speakers (not the control pod) and turn up the volume while playing music to test if the subwoofer does output any sound?

The sub doesn't have a fuse. The two internal fuses are for the left and right speakers since the speaker wires could be shortened.

Sounds like a different problem than mine. In your case it could still be the DIN connector or the control pod that's bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I called Klipsch and asked them about my issue. The tech guy suggested that hook up the woofer speaker to another amplifier (i.e. stereo) to determine if it was the speaker that's bad. A replacement speaker would cost $20* instead of $80* for the amplifier unit (all the electronics in the sub woofer unit). Of course it's the amplifier in my case. Now I have to decide to repair or get a whole new unit.

*plus tax and shipping

I'm pretty noob with the technology stuff, but just picked up a set of 2.1 ProMedias ... 2 speakers sound great , but wasn't able to get the woofer working from the getgo, so I think I either am doing something wrong or inadvertently "blew" something -- my questions now are

1. How can I check to see if the sub is the problem? (I read up top connecting to another amp -- I do have a set of other computer speakers [Logitech]) but not sure how that would work

2. Perhaps it was an installation issue? I plugged in the woofer to power, then plugged the wire from speaker to woofer (just the 1 plug w/ the teeth), and then finally speaker to the 4 slots on back of woofer (individual +/- L/R wires)

3. Who may I contact regarding replacement woofer if it actually is broken?

Thanks

ohwow123, if you bought it from an authorized dealer then contact Klipsch for warranty service/customer support. You have a 1 year warranty. If you bought it from elswere you can talk to the seller, especially if they advertised it as working.

• 4 years later...
On 3/16/2012 at 5:57 PM, ckh said:

I have the old style ProMedia 2.1, the heavy one with the power switch on the back. It has been working great for many years but now the sub-woofer sound is not being amplified anymore. If I disconnect the left and right speakers I can turn up the volume and hear the muted sound from the sub-woofer. I read through the forums, looked at the internals and did some test with the help of the diagrams at http://www.thompdale.com/bash_amplifier/2-1/2-1_bash_amp.htm (Great diagrams and write-up btw.)

• DIN connector is OK. Wiggling doesn't affect anything. The connection
    looks solid. The voltage on the Control Port looks OK (P501:1,
    P501:9).
  • Visually everything looks fine. No components look burned and the soldering looks ok as well.
  • Sub-woofer relay seems to be engaging fine (click just a fraction
    after plugging the sub-woofer in). Also I doubt I would hear a muted
    sub-woofer sound if the relay would not engage (close).

I'm not sure what else I could try. Does anybody have any experience with this issue, know if it's possible and economical to replace some components, or get it serviced.

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your sub?  Mine is doing the exact same thing.  thanks  boB

I have a question:

You guys are making me worried mine will start doing the same thing some day. I have the same original PM 2.1 system with the power switch on the amp, only I never turn mine off. I really do leave it on 24/7. Are you guys (or were you) turning yours on and off every day? Or did this problem begin happening even though you left it on 24/7?

• 2 months later...

I have the old 2.1 heavy one with power switch in back as well.  Bought back in 2001.  absolutely the best 2.1 ever.  The sub amp crapped out recently.  Can't exactly noticed when exactly but probably recently.  I can crank up both knobs to max and only heard very low muffled sound from sub.   satellite speakers work fine.  would like to get the amp repair since i heard the old heavy one are better than the new one..anyone knows of someone doing this?

I always leave my old one on...

On 18/01/2017 at 9:23 AM, wildpig said:

only heard very low muffled sound from sub.

probably the foam surround has deteriorated pull the mesh cover off and check foam, amp could still be ok.

Edited by jas

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2017 at 5:23 PM, wildpig said:

I have the old 2.1 heavy one with power switch in back as well.  Bought back in 2001.  absolutely the best 2.1 ever.  The sub amp crapped out recently.  Can't exactly noticed when exactly but probably recently.  I can crank up both knobs to max and only heard very low muffled sound from sub.   satellite speakers work fine.  would like to get the amp repair since i heard the old heavy one are better than the new one..anyone knows of someone doing this?

I always leave my old one on...

Wildpig, I have the same situation with the same equipment.  I opened up the amp, and everything looks ok minus a little bit of scorching on one of the smaller cards.  Ive seen a few pictures online of guys saying theirs work and I've noticed the same scorch marks.  Not sure if thats a factor or not.  I replaced the control pod in hopes of it being a bad DIN connection, but I fear the one in the box is bad or possible the whole amp assembly.  If you have any luck, please let me know.  I would be interested to see what you find out.   I may just suck it up and have Klipsch send me a new amp.

• 1 month later...

I just bought one of these 2.1 sets from a thrift shop. Plugged it in and tried it out before I bought it and worked beautifully! Got it home, plugged it into my PC and the sub isn't working...I checked and double checked the connections but no dice.  My PC is fairly new, I have USB 3.0 jacks and a 6 core AMD with all the bells n whistles. Has Realtek onboard audio. Last speaker system was a 2.1 setup and, aside from a short in the volume knob, everything worked fine.  Tried using the speakers on my cell phone jack (like I did at the thrift shop) but now the sub isn't working. I'm only out $40 but I really want this subwoofer to work again. NOTE: neither the Realtek or the Windows 10 audio manager have configs for 2.1, just stereo, 5.1 and 7.1. I was running on a stereo setup on my old speakers (I think). 

Edited by shinzou614
Left out some details.