valve amplification with palladium p38f

apostolos

I'm not technical but I found the Transcedent OTL amp to be the most natural. I had (and have only heard) the SE-OTL version. 1 1/2 watt stereo amp bridgable into a 4 watt 'powerhouse' (hahahahaha)

I used a pair as 4 watt mono's.

Compared to the 2A3, KT66, KT88 and 300B I tried, the OTL's probably sounded the best (with the 300B SET coming in close behind)

Seems to me if people spout the shorter signal path as a virtue then there might be merit in getting rid of the transformer and connecting the speakers to the tubes themselves.

I'm not technical but I think that's the essence of the difference between the OTL and "normal" amps.

Personally, I think I would want to do some math... decide what kind of impact I really wanted at my listening position and see what kind of power that dictated I used in the speakers... then add some more for headroom and THEN look at an amp with sufficient power.

Depending on the size of your listening area, the Unison at 24 wpc should drive those speakers to very pleasant levels and still have some headroom. The P-38s are relatively efficient. Do you already have the speakers? Would you be able to try the amps with them? With a price around $8000 US, I would hope you cold get a trial in your own home, even if for a day.

Bruce

I would hope you cold get a trial in your own home, even if for a day.

If he's married....it could be a cold trial indeed... Wink

But sweetheart... they help take the morning chill out of the air... [*-)]

thank u for your quick correspondence.in fact i have the palladiums two years now with accuphase integrated e450 and source the accuphase dp500.but i always had the filling i missed some lyricism from what i was hearing.the speakers sounded somewhat like shouting sometimes and that not depending on the volume.until i borrowed a unison research S8 and really i was astonished:true atmosphere and really musical amp.so i think that valves make a better match with palladiums.on the other hand i hear some loosening of low frequencies and or when reproducing complicated or difficult passages such as in big orchestral works.and thats why i think of a stronger amp, perhaps the new s9.first i have to find somebody interested of buying the e450.oh,and talking about freedom i have much, still not married.l.o.l..