For 2 subs could I use a Behringer DSP1124P Feedback Destroyer Pro Parametric EQ?

Dylanl

I have one on my IB but It's considered one sub, not two. Never tried it with 2 subs. For me there was a bit of a learning curve but it wasn't too bad. There's a few tutorals out there on the web. It's been so long since I set mine that I'd have to get the manual back out if I wanted to adjust it!

• 2 weeks later...

It has 2 channels that can be setup separately from up to two sources. I use REW software and a midi cable for auto curve setup see ebay like $5.

So, yes 1124p is suitable for 2 separate subs in a X.1 or X.2 system. You may want a calibrated mic and a small mixer see hometheatershack.com for more details on setup and free REW software.

Yes you can. And since it has two channels you could, for instance, place the subs in two different locations and EQ each one individually. Keep in mind that in all likelihood any EQ settings you come up with for the main listening position will not be the same for other places in the room because of the interaction of the long low frequency wavelengths with the room dimensions.

The DSP1124 is intended for feedback control and as such has *cut* only filters (which is really what you want to do anyway, as opposed to boost). But this unit can also be used successfully as an equalizer for subwoofers.

Although the DSP1124 is less expensive than the Behringer DEQ2494 I think you would be better served with the DEQ2496. There are more EQ options, different types of EQ, graphic, parametric, dynamic etc. as well as the extremely narrow (up to 1/60 octave) feedback filters which can be used for EQ just like on the DSP1124. And the DEQ2496 also has time delay.

I recently bought a quad of Epik Empire subs. Front L&R mains are Khorns with a Belle center. I wound up buying a Behringer DEQ2496 to better integrate the subs into the system (I know, I poo pooed this unit in the past, but that was 7 years ago. It's not the same unit anymore even the model is the same, and this is for subwoofers, not the mains). The time delay was really helpful to getting the sound right. I was able to overlay several EQ filters of parametric, graphic and shelving type (this was during just the last few days). So far I've achieved a response of + or - 2.75dB from 40Hz down to 16Hz. Above 40Hz the response falls off like a rock so that the subs don't interfere with the Khorns. At 65Hz the subs response is down more than -30dB (I can't measure any lower at the moment. this was just a quick run through). I'm pretty sure that after implementing two more "surgical" parametric EQ filters using the feedback destroyer portion of the DEQ2496 I'll be able to get the response to + or - 1.5dB 40Hz to 16Hz (at the listening position).

Also keep in mind that any equalization cannot correct for room modes in locations where cancellations occur at particular frequencies. A cancellation is just that ~ a cancellation. Increasing (boosting) the sound level at those frequencies will only intensify the cancellation. Some people find this counter-intuitive but its true.

In addition do not use the auto EQ feature for subs or anything below 100Hz. The FFT (fast fourier transform) algorithm used in these units is not accurate enough to "do the math" properly and gross errors usually result.