What I Got Today!

Brac

I bought a set of CP-6 outdoor speakers that were new...  When I went to pick them up, the guy called just prior to say he found some scratches in the bottom and asked if I was still interested.  He said they speakers have never been used, but have been displayed at events.  He also included a free set of unopened R6i headphones as a gift.  Can you guess what company he works for?  :)

• Like 1

I didn't get it today, but my latest audio acquisition is a new 2016 Yamaha RX-A2060 Aventage AV receiver.  It replaces the 2005 RX-V750 that's gone to do bedroom audio duty.  The new one came in a couple of weeks ago, and it took a bit of time to get everything hooked up and the unit dialed in.

The old receiver was 7.1 channel, with 100 Wpc, and the new one is 9.2, with 140 Wpc.  In practice, the new one has roughly double the overall power.  That was not as important as it having HDMI connections and ESS Sabre DACs, rather than the old Burr-Brown DACs.  It has lots of other advanced features, but mainly the sound is clearer and has more authority.  It also has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, which is convenient.

Other than the specs, the Aventage line goes beyond the Yamaha RX-V line of receivers by virtue of its better frame design and wiring plan, with shorter and symmetrical signal paths that isolate the left and right channels, as well as upgraded parts, compared with the RX-V line.

I hadn't realized that the old receiver had become the weakest link in the system until recently, when TV broadcasts went digital, so you needed HDMI for TV surround sound, but it became clear when listening to live Olympics broadcasts over the last week.  As well, since I got the old receiver, the main left and right speakers went from Audiologic AL-750s (bass reflex floorstanders with 2 10-inch woofers and 2 dome tweeters) to La Scalas, which became 510 JubScalas, which were then replaced three years ago with 510 JubScala IIs.  It was time for a new receiver.

As well, the bedroom system (where the Audiologic speakers went) sounds much better now, too.

This is what the new receiver looks like:

yamaha-rx-a2060-front-view.jpg

• Like 5

Used... I rarely if ever buy new. 

I was enthralled by the point to point minimalism of its design... we'll see. I need more tubes.

I think this tube based pre has a tall order to fill the way that the system is sounding now.

On 8/22/2016 at 10:43 PM, Schu said:

Used... I rarely if ever buy new. 

I was enthralled by the point to point minimalism of its design... we'll see. I need more tubes.

I think this tube based pre has a tall order to fill the way that the system is sounding now.

I think that runs the same tubes as my SP 6 from Tubes4hifi or maybe it was my Scott.  Whichever  I really enjoy the sound. 

• CECAA850 changed the title to What I Got Today!