Ugliest La Scals ever :( What to do

Bigal63

Ok here is my story. I picked these up on CL for $200, sight unseen, I figured if anything worked i would be OK. They are UGLY !!! Thet were in a storage unit that had a lot of water damage. Most of the verneer is peeling off and they are full of mold :( I pulled all the drivers and crossovers out( oh ya I tried them first and they both work but sounded a little muddy) They are a 1987 type AL. The Woofers are both @ 4ohms squak @ 10 and tweets @ 6.2, best I can tell is all that is good. I am guessing from the looks and age of the crossovers that they are shot and should be replaced.I have been reading all over this form and other places trying to figure out what to do with these ?? Now thats ugly!the other oneDSC_5827.JPG

First of all welcome to the Klipsch Community forum and the general madness of heritage Klipsch speakers.

Yea... They're pretty fugly but not beyond redemption if you choose to do so.

Worst case you can flip the drivers (if working) on eBay for WAY more than $200.

Me... I would take it on as a "challenge" to bring them back to looking good and sounding good.

I took a pair of beater La Scalas that I paid WAY more than $200 for and over the course of a few months turned them in to these:

Posted Image

I have to agree with you that the AL crossovers are probably gonners. Even when brand new the ALs weren't very good.

There are a number of already built or DIY crossovers and designs that are excellent in La Scalas. Search on Crites speakers or ALK Enginering for further inspiration.

Good luck to you sir. If you do decide to restore them (I would) please take lots of pictures of the process and post them here on a regular basis

sanded and cleaned up a bit Ok got one of them stripped down and sanded. I think with this set I am going to ad the port box on the bottem and cover then compleatly with 1/4 ply and try a nice paint job on them. Still have figure out which cross over to order, any help???

Because of all the mold you had I think you better consider a borate based treatment to prevent any future growth or dry rot problems. There are a bunch of products like this and some homemade recipes you can find online. Be sure to treat before adding a layer of 1/4 ply. This stuff works! I saved a 130 year old quilt chest that was starting to disintigrate before my eyes from dry rot. I didn't repair any of the damage... just stopped it from growing.

• 2 weeks later...

DSC_5844.JPG OK I have ordered a set of Universal crossover networks from "ALK"...dam have to wait 4 or 5 weeks for my kit to come in so I can build them. Have been sanding and stripping all the old vaneer off, starting to look much better now. Have started putting 11mil ply on and dam they are heavy!!!

The little girl is thinking, he better make these pretty, they are going to be mine one day ! Stick out tongue

Cool pic. Yes

At this age, maybe some day she will have a high tolerance for big speakers when she gets married (at 40 or course!). It's great to get the kids involved in projects like this. She will remember this, and will be very proud when she hears and sees them for the first time. Who knows, you may be raising the next Amy Unger!

Have fun!

Craig

DSC_5844.JPG OK I have ordered a set of Universal crossover networks from "ALK"...dam have to wait 4 or 5 weeks for my kit to come in so I can build them. Have been sanding and stripping all the old vaneer off, starting to look much better now. Have started putting 11mil ply on and dam they are heavy!!!

Yep! Teach them young to enjoy a good hobby that'll help keep them out of trouble. And she should get these when you are through with them. Put a copy of this picture in that plastic coated film and attach it inside so she can show her kids, and grand children! [:D]

Maybe you can help her buy and restore her own since she is helping you.

Taz

• 4 weeks later...

Well they are starting to take on a nice shape !!!

Should get my new networks in this week and i hope to get the first few coats of primer on to do the finall sanding. Have a friend that has a auto body shop, he do the finall painting when ready. I am going with a gloss black with lots of clear coats on top. He said that they will be very scratch resistant and shoiuld look nice:) Any other ideas on a colar ???? Black is the only thing that would look good in the house.P1030028.JPGP1030029.JPG

The project is coming along very nicely!

I'm thinking a Harley theme or mostly black and some orange. Flames maybe? Big Smile

Those babies are gonna be very nice. Eagerly waiting to see the final paint job...

OHHHHH that would be nice.....hmmm will think about that:)

Well i finally got my networks in :) I desided to go buy a 1 inch piece of oak instead of using the ones that come in the kit. They turned out great [:D]

P1030032.JPG

here they are finished

P1030034.JPG

P1030035.JPG

P1030039.JPG

I couldnt wait, had to hook everything up to se how they sounded [H] for sitten in the garage they sounded good. But now i have to leave for two weeks so will have to wait to give them a propen test.