Ugliest La Scals ever :( What to do

Bigal63

2012-06-14_05-29-04_793.jpg

Haven't been doing alot of work on them in the last few months because of traveling for work :( I have been working on one at a time and have a few coats of primer on it, but the more i sand and paint the more flaws i seem to find.......will it ever be finished ??????? LOL

• 3 weeks later...

All I can say is WOW. Yours have mine beat for being the Ugliest Pair!! However, I must say, that I am most impressed with your results after sanding.

That was a HUGH amount of work that you have done, and thanks for sharing pics and text with us all.

I very much look forward to seeing the finished results with these Scalas.

Best luck, Bruce

I love to see people do what you are doing. Taking components that are such wrecks and restoring them to solid structures that are functional and beautiful, so that you or the next user can enjoy them, visually and sonically, is a satisfying project!

Special speakers. A wonderful effort!

Can't wait to read your thoughts on hearing them and see pics of the final product.

Keep up the good work!

Vintage audio is a gas.

Enjoy your music,

George

• 2 months later...

Some things i learned the hard way.

Gloss Black is really hard to spray !!!!!! There is a fine line between having runs and not enough paint and it looks like a crinkel finish. If i was doing it over I would put venear on it, the paint was $120 a quart(with the reduser and hardener) high quality car paint. I had to go buy a second quart to put the 3rd coat on and thats when i realized that without a real paint booth and all I wasnt going to get it perfict.

I added so much wood that they are really hard to move around and work on, they are 165 lbs each now, not sure what they were when I started.

So how do they sound ????? [:D][<:o)] the wife unit just happenned to leave for about an hour when I got them in the room....they sound great at high levels ( blew one of the fuses), lots of bass at high levels but not so at low levels. Is that the norm with these ???? I tend to like my music at window shatering levels [A]. I did notice that when I put in some clasical that I hear some problems with one side, sounds like a little scratching from the tweat or mid, will had to do some cable swapping to figure out if it is in the amp or the speakers. As you can see from the pics my amp and preamp are not exactlly up to date stuff, I have no idea if they are a good quality or just OK stuff.

Now to sit in my rocking chair and do some listening and dreaming of what to do next.....tube amp, all new drivers in the speakers......hmmmmmmm

cudos on taking on this DIY project. def know what is like to paint and sand, paint and sand, etc til no end is in sight......its a good time of the year to do this kind of work....not to hot...not too cold....paint is easy to work with and not a lot of bugs and pollen flying around. I really love the family involvement.

Im debating on doing another sand and coat drill on these or just run with them. We probably have two more good painting weekends left in NYC.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/167172.aspx