HPS 4000 545-4 system

kg4guy

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well thats going to be a moving target...since the Klipsch versions used different possible parts. the atached is a cutaway of the tweeter section of the hps 4000 545. Its the same as the tweeter section I have for one of the klipsch stacks. Keep in mind, klipsch used different tweeter arrays with their versions. I read the bio of the guy who designed the hps 4000 and there's no reference to collaborating which klipsch on this.

post-22082-13819691523476_thumb.jpg

Yes I did see that I'm going down to LA to pick up a pair of MSM's ,K-55-M version, and the crossover he wants to give me is for use with the HPS 4000 545-4 not the Klipsch network I can't complain as I'm getting the pair for $500. but was wondering if I could use it on a 4 way setup with Klipsch.

If you do a little research on John Allen, you will find that there is a pretty substantial history associated with him and Klipsch, in reference to the MCM system.

Garry Gillum did 1/2 the work with PWK on the MWM and shares the patent. When he left Klipsch, he started building MWM speakers for John Allen (along with Heresy's and LaScalas). He even sold drivers to Klispch when they lost a source. His son developed the 555 bass bin which he claims approaches the Khorn in performance, but it looks like a large LaScala. Gary is the one that added the braces on the bass bin.

Claude: that's interesting. Thanks for posting the info on the 555. Have you found a drawing for a 555 bass bin or has anybody measured one well enough to build one? Does the 555 have the 45 degree corner reflectors like the FH-1? Would be nice if response could be massaged to get flat(ish) response to 8 -900 Hz. I suppose that this could be looked at with Horn Response to do the modle work.

How is your search for a straight horn to cover the range the FH-1 does? Best regards Moray James.

So yours is the slightly larger size? Is there a thread about that I can read? It looks like a great build. Did you measure with and without the corner reflectors to see what they did to the response? Do you have a drawing and what driver did you design it for? How do you think it compares to previous builds?It looks like an easy cabinet to build. What cabs do you prefer it over? Thanks Best regards Moray James.

I did built a pair with similar measurements however the 555's width is 36.5" vs 38" and the 555 depth is 24" vs 31" everything else is very close.

Dude, when (ok if) I ever get a woman around here full time, I'm gonna be able to show her YOUR photos and say 'SEE I"M NOT AS BAD AS THIS GUY" ! I used to be the guy that everybody thanked for being the most craziest collector. You've got me beat by a long shot with all these projects of yours. M

I did built a pair with similar measurements however the 555's width is 36.5" vs 38" and the 555 depth is 24" vs 31" everything else is very close.

Dude, when (ok if) I ever get a woman around here full time, I'm gonna be able to show her YOUR photos and say 'SEE I"M NOT AS BAD AS THIS GUY" ! I used to be the guy that everybody thanked for being the most craziest collector. You've got me beat by a long shot with all these projects of yours. M

You have my permission to use me as the scapegoat also Mike sorry that David Crosby signature never came to pass apparently he does like signing anything Melinda Williams my friend ,who is Kenny Loggins business manager, finally told me as initially she didn't think it would have been a big deal to have it done.

Thanks a bunch for the link. Did you by chance make a drawing? Question, are these designed for a 12 or a 15? The doghouse follows the La Scalla style, if you follow the side of the dog house back fron the front point you come to that 3/4" step. Aside from making things stiffer at theat panel joint what is the function or purpose of that 3/4" jog? I would have thought it would cause a lot of turbulence no? Thanks and best regards Moray James.

It is the same size as the La scala dog house I used the best Baltic Birch I could find multi layer very heavy stuff the 3/4" was to make it easier to attach and to give make it more stable not sure about the turbulence the MCM has them and the FH-1 also but again I didn't notice that but in a A & B test with a stock La scala bass bin there was a big improvement in output.