New Receiver for RF-7iis

batchov

I'm shopping for a new reciever for a 18 x 15 room powered by an Emotiva XPA-5. I use my system for 40% tv (sports mostly) and 60% movies and games. I've mostly been looking between the pioneer SC55 and the Denon 3312 but I'm open to anything. Has anyone had experiences with either powering the Rf7iis or have any recommendations?

I'm shopping for a new reciever for a 18 x 15 room powered by an Emotiva XPA-5. I use my system for 40% tv (sports mostly) and 60% movies and games. I've mostly been looking between the pioneer SC55 and the Denon 3312 but I'm open to anything. Has anyone had experiences with either powering the Rf7iis or have any recommendations?

Seriously, check this thread out on getting a discount on Denon 4311ci . . . I got one in December for my HT to replace a Pioneer Elite 94TXH . . . And it has been truly amazing on my RF 7.1 setup, and even more amazing with heritage speakers! And at a discount, wow! I started the thread in December, and it is still alive! http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21821411#post21821411

Funny I used to have the same exact avr as you. Let me tell you something.... I have used 4-5 other avr's since trying to figure out what I liked best (also had the XPA-5), and until I got the 3008 (with audyssey xt32) none of them sounded any different. I have used the 3007, 709, 608, 509, HT rc-180, and recently a pioneer 1121 (never used this with the XPA-5). Also dumping my XPA-5 was an improvement IMO.... Now I have all onkyo power.

Funny I used to have the same exact avr as you. Let me tell you something.... I have used 4-5 other avr's since trying to figure out what I liked best (also had the XPA-5), and until I got the 3008 (with audyssey xt32) none of them sounded any different. I have used the 3007, 709, 608, 509, HT rc-180, and recently a pioneer 1121 (never used this with the XPA-5). Also dumping my XPA-5 was an improvement IMO.... Now I have all onkyo power.

That"s wonderful . . . I wasn't capping on Onkyo . . . Onkyo is great equipment too. Just suggesting it may be a settings issue that a focused Onkyo forum might be able to help with. But, if everything is working great, then wonderful. All the best.

No worries. Didnt take it that way. I don't have any experience with marantz or Denon. The next time I need an avr I'll be looking at those brands just to try to open my experience. I love my onkyo but never having listened to the others I may not know what I'm missing. I can say that I prefer onkyo to emotiva with the rf7ii speakers.

i just wanna throw in the UMC-1. It may not have the tons of bells and whistles that newer receivers have but for the price its great. The ease of customizing with it is what makes it a real winner for me and unbeatable at its price range.

I dont know how the latest firmware is with it as when it came out at first, i do mean the last big rewrite, it had a few hitches but that was like 2 months and i havent checked since.

No worries. Didnt take it that way. I don't have any experience with marantz or Denon. The next time I need an avr I'll be looking at those brands just to try to open my experience. I love my onkyo but never having listened to the others I may not know what I'm missing. I can say that I prefer onkyo to emotiva with the rf7ii speakers.

Cool . . . My only AVR experiences are Harmon Kardon, Pioneer, and now the Denon 4311. Of all, the Pioneer was my best sound for straight up music. The Denon 4311ci does fine with music, but is amazing with HT. I have no experience with Onkyo or Marantx, but just about hands down, everyone says that the Marantz 7005 is amazing mix for HT and musics. I have never auditioned one. The Denon 4311ci has been on an amazing sale run, if you call the right company and so much cheaper than the Marantz othat I went Denon for the first time . . . And have not been disappointed since I was upgrading to 3d and AirPlay. I do possess both and Adcom GFA555 with a GTP 500 and a Phase Linear 400 and a 4000 . . . With the Denon, there is a way to integrate those so I get better music sound from my K-horns and Belles and La Scalas and RC62 center in my HT when I want a better music sound. I am such a noob to the Denon, I have not tried piggy backing the vintage amps. Gotta a friend I need to have I've for a cookout so that he can show me how! I am nervous to try it myself . . . Don't want to blow up speakers doing it wrong, or the new 4311. There should also be a way to piggy back my Pio TXH94 too, but I am using it in my office with Heresys, and two pair of KG4s and a KG 2.2 center. Not bragging, just the only way I know how to hook things up is straight off of one AVR. I need to figure out how to integrate the Phase Linear and Adcom lab amps, or even the two preamps too. So, I am learning! But playing it safe.

I've appreciated many of your posts actually Jason since our setups have been so close. I'm suprised to hear that you have pulled out the XPA-5 to find an improvement!

I've had trouble with my HT RC-180 talking to my XPA-5 and spent an hour on the phone with Emotiva support. Turns out that the Pre-outs on the Onkyo are not producing any sound (for more than 10 seconds anyway) - very disappointing. This is my first Onkyo and I've had troubles with this avr for the 2 years I've owned it and am anxious to try something else. I've had Pioneer avrs and truly enjoyed the sound. My first thought was to go back to Pioneer, but I'm thinking that I might try the Denon sound out to round out my experience a little bit. Plus I'm not overly impressed by the Elites this round from the research that I've been doing on them. Unfortunately there are not a lot of options for auditioning in Vancouver Canada - makes it a little tougher to make a decision since I can`t listen to them. Going to the local future shop just doesn`t cut haha

Well if you look enough on the klipsch and emo forum you'll find many people (subxero comes to mind) that had noise issues with the XPA-5 and the rf7ii's. In the end I decided the noise bothered me enough to sell. I purchased the onkyo amps after and decided I actually like the sound better. It's not night and day but I do prefer it. My friend uses a upa-5 with the HT rc-180 and it works fine. He uses rf82's.

The only problem I ever had with the HT rc-180 is a blown channel. However I did that myself while moving it from the HT to bedroom and reconnecting to a hot channel. Onkyo fixed it under warranty though.

the xpa-5 has a good sound but i prefer my outlaw to it. Its always subjective and price doesnt always mean everything. I do believe it has some bearing on the overall quality but brands that have higher price tags are usually tried and true over a period of time. As always though, find that happy medium between quality and price.

I think that guy that reviews amps for Stereophile magazine must have bad hearing, he loved the xpa5 and compared it very favorably to his Bryston.

I'm picking up your sarcasm. I agree with subxero that sound is always subjective.... But the noise coming from my rf7ii's with the XPA-5 hooked up is not. As I said my friend runs the rf82's with a upa-5 with great results. His setup sounds awesome.

The Pioneer SC55/57 is a great avr. MCACC provide great room correction and works well with external amps. I use a SC 35 with a couple of external amps and like the setup. The 55/ 57 is 4 ohm stable and should perform well with or without external amplification.

I think that guy that reviews amps for Stereophile magazine must have bad hearing, he loved the xpa5 and compared it very favorably to his Bryston.

I'm picking up your sarcasm. I agree with subxero that sound is always subjective.... But the noise coming from my rf7ii's with the XPA-5 hooked up is not. As I said my friend runs the rf82's with a upa-5 with great results. His setup sounds awesome.

Well...maybe a little.The xpa5 is not the best choice for old 7's, so new may be similar in that regard.My upa7 has zero noise, it's the amp I suggest with 7's just my opinion.The Outlaw 7125 is also very nice, either of those I've owned.I have owned some very highly rated amps that had noise issues, some hiss, some buzz, some hum, there are a lot of factors that could cause these things..

I got the SC-57 a few months back and I'm still blown away! I mean the receiver that I upgraded from was a good 10 years old so really anything on the market would have trumped it. But the power this thing puts out is incredible! I'll go deaf 10 times over before my RF-7ii's even think about distorting! Plus the MCACC is the real deal and is very easy to navagate through. Plus you can get these brand new for 1,000 plus dollars off the MSRP. This will for sure satisfy all your needs!