a good system for uner $3000?

TheBeast

I recently bought a HDTV and I want to get a sound system to go with it. Ive been doing some research and I and to buy a SVS Ultra, Rf-7s, a RC-7, and some RC-3s. My problem is that that comes to well over what I can spend when I buy a receiver and wire and stuff. If I need to downgrade in what area should I do it? I really want the SVS sub and the RF-7s but I simply cant afford them. I need to stay around $3000 (3300 or so would be ok).

BTW the room is 22x13x8

Save the sub for later... Always buy quality first. If you love the rf-7's go for it. You can add the sub later. The RF-7's are great speakers, and in my opinion, sound closer to the Klipsch Heritage lineup from yester years design.

If your a little brave...look at a Klipsch Cornwall used...Ebay etc etc... You might be surprised.

My 2 cents

Yeah, I would agree. Get good mains like the RF7's or Cornwalls, and think used if the budget is really strapped. My system was built (speakers, subs, and amps to run them - this doesn't count TV or sources) for $4000 - all but the Outlaw 750 is used stuff, the subs were closeouts. That took eight months of research on gear and finding them (not to mention about 2000 miles driving to pick up speakers). If you really want it and have patience, a killer system can be had on a budget. $4000 IS budget, when the same gear brand new totaled over $9000 (whoop a$$ included at no extra chargeSmile.gif ). I add the DVD, cable box, computer sound card, and two tape decks to round out the system.

Here's a "used gear" scenario.......

You may consider going with used Heritage models. Cornwalls will get in the ring with RF7's anytime. Some on the forum prefer these, but it is really a matter of preference. It certainly is an option for a high performance main speaker for your system. Add three Heresys (the bookshelf model Heritage offering) and you have the 5 in your 5.1 HT. Used Klipsch is nothing to fear, if you do the research on the model you are buying - and it will still last for years. 20 - 30 year old Klipsch are common around here - a testament to their value and quality.

If you look around and be patient, you could get all 5 of those for $1500 in good shape - about the cost of the RF7's brand new.

You'll need an HT receiver, at least capable of 5.1 DD and DTS formats. If you do not need DPLII, for example, you could save some cash on a unit that is one model unit behind the current offerings, at a very attractive price. Ubid runs some excellent deals on closeouts of this nature - there are many forum members who loaded up on Klipsch KLF series Legend speakers for great prices on closeout. Ubid is authorized too, so you get the warranty. If you want the latest receiver with the latest formats and feature packages, you'll pay premium dollar for it.

So, 1500 for speakers, 1000ish for HT receiver, 1000 for the SVS ultra (by the time you get it home), and you'll need an inexpensive sub amp for the SVS. So, you are at $3500-3800 - all you need is sources.

****** NEW GEAR APPROACH *******

If you really have your heart set on that RF setup you want, do it a step at a time. Get the RF7's and the HT receiver first (could be done for $2500). If you can spend the extra 1200 or so for the SVS Ultra + amp to run it, do it. You could also save some money by going with the SVS CS+ plus, an impressive sub in it's own right. You can do without the center channel for now, since the HT receiver can mix the center into the two mains ("phantom mode" on most receivers) - certainly viable until you can buy the center.

Or, skip the sub for now (add it later when the budget will allow), and get the RF7's, receiver, and RC3's. You can do this for $3000-3300, I would think.

Then there is the floor samples and used gear rooms of audio shops who can save you $$ too, especially if you have an idea what you want.

You did not mention where you are looking at buying the gear you are considering, and how far off the mark those prices are from your budget. That info could be helpful, since there is a difference between market price and sticker price, depending on who you are purchasing from.

No matter what you do, spend extra on the mains if you can, and resist the urge to go with the lesser models. Speakers really make the system - you will get more sound for your dollar by spending a greater proportion of your system budget on speakers. Take your time and continue to get informed - you are in a great place for that right now. This board is a wonderful resource on Klipsch, new or old, and how we use them to suit our needs. The search feature will give you access to discussions that will answer many of your questions - we've probably talked about it already, and it's all archived here. Plus, we are here to help you through the maze of building that system.

I hope this helps you some. Welcome to KlipschSmile.gif

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains)

Klipsch Academy (center channel)

Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

H/K AVR 75 (used as pre/pro - will be upgraded soon)

Bass Kit:

2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets

Crown CE 1000 amplifier

Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources:

Pioneer DV-333

2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks

General Instruments cable box

Panasonic VHS PV-4459

Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 05-24-2002 at 07:34 PM

Heritage speakers are really big but they are cheaper. Maybe if I could clear some room I could get Cornwalls off ebay. Its going to be a while before I buy all this stuff so I have plenty of time to decide. I really want to buy the sub at the same time as the other stuff. I think ill buy Cornwalls but I need a place to find them and I have to beg with other members of my family to convince them that "big ugly speakers" are ok (personally I like the looks of them). RF-7s cost $1700 (thats more than all of the heritage speakers you said I would need). If I really work hard this summer and I guess I can scrape aside enough to buy all this. I need compact surround because they have to be on the wall (would a mix of new and old equipment sound ok?). If speakers are $1500 and the sub is like $1400 I can save up extra for receiver, wire, and other stuff. I was going to buy RF-3s but I thought the same thing about needing powerful mains. What is the cheapest HT receiver I could get that would still be high quality?

It's all in the presentation. Cornwalls are attractive speakers in the proper room. One of our forum members, "Shapeshifter", shows just how good big Klipsch can look: Gorgeous Heritage Klipsch Displayed Properly

Now mine aren't displayed that nicely, but I'll be posting pics of my setup in the next couple of weeks (I gotta get a digital camera!!) Take a look in the "Odds and Mods", and be sure to "show all topics" in the dropdown menu near the upper right hand corner of the forum page. There's many good looking setups displayed thereSmile.gif

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains)

Klipsch Academy (center channel)

Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

H/K AVR 75 (used as pre/pro - will be upgraded soon)

Bass Kit:

2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets

Crown CE 1000 amplifier

Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources:

Pioneer DV-333

2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks

General Instruments cable box

Panasonic VHS PV-4459

Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 05-24-2002 at 10:17 PM

there is no way i would envision a home theater without a good subwoofer. no way.

what I would do:

SVS

RF-3s

RC-3

whatever cheap speakers you can find for surrounds

receiver that fits the budget.

then later on I would upgrade to RF-7s and an RC-7, put the 3's in the back, and maybe upgrade the receiver.

or you can go used.

I would much prefer a theater with R-3s all around and a great sub than with R-7s all around and a crappy sub or no sub. but of course, that's just my opinion, although I know a lot of people would agree with it. the sub IMO is what makes or breaks the theater experience.

You will have to listen closely to find differences between amps and even speakers, while having a sub vs. not having one will just jump right at you.

one thing I would definitely buy used is the receiver, unless you need latest-generation features such as prologic II or DD THX-EX and DTS-ES decoding with 7-channel amplification. There are some very good 6.1 receivers out there that people are replacing with the latest generation and selling used. Also, you might look into dealer closeouts. I know at my store there are some very sweet deals to be made on receivers like the Sony STR-DB870 or Denon X801...

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

This message has been edited by Seb on 05-24-2002 at 10:28 PM

Shipping can be expensive. In some cases, there are "airport-to-airport" shipping options that can save money. Cornwalls are about 100 lbs each (over UPS limits). $200 isn't out of line for a shipping bill - plus the cost of packing them properly.

I usually look to buy where I can pick them up - I can see and hear them before giving the seller my money, and there's less risk of shipping damage. When I am really wanting something specific, I post a "wanted" here and on rec.audio.marketplace newsgroup as well, and I tell them that I am willing to drive - then I wait for responses. When I did this for my Cornwalls, I got 4 offers in just a few days, then picked the best set, which worked out to be the closest too!

Got a road trip planned for other purposes in the near future?? Try to coordinate a "pickup" with something else on your schedule. When I made the Atlanta pickup, I saw a concert there that weekend too, so the trip was that much more worthwhile.

This is where the research pays off - get a handle on resale values and the different Cornwall variations (the drivers are similar, yet not identical, depending on model year). Also it is helpful to know what drivers should be in the cabinet - occasionally an owner will replace a driver with a "mismatch". We'll help out with this to the extent possible, plus there are lots of archived discussions about them, plus specifications are in the "products" section of this website under "classic".

To get Cornwalls (or other used Klipsch), you need to search places where used gear is sold. Many Klipsch are found for sale right here on this board (members post stuff for sale on occasion, in no particular area - that's how I got mine). Ebay.com, Audiogon.com, Audioweb.com, Audioreview.com, and newspaper ads are also good places to start.

One more thought: Garage sales!!!! There are too many stories of forum members who have found Klipsch at garage and estate sales for pennies on the dollar. Tis the season for this!!!! Often, the seller just wants the big monoliths out of the house, without realizing their true worth. Be the first one there in the morning - you would be surprised what's out there. There are many folks who make money on ebay selling such undervalued garage sale goods because people sell them for less than market value.

I could knock off about $400 if i bought the CS+ instead of the ultra. Do you think there's a huge differennce between the 2? SVS says that the CS+ has 80% of the ultra performance but that was before that ultra got the SS driver.

I have not read everyones reply to you Beast, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but have you considered a do-it-yourself sub? I know a lot of people claim they rock! Here is a couple of places to visit:

Home Theater HiFi DYI

The Sub Woofer DYI Page

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

This message has been edited by m00n on 05-25-2002 at 11:10 AM

quote:

Originally posted by TheBeast:

At this time I dont really have time to build a DIY sub and the giant sonotube monsters that I like are way to big.

A sonatube is not your only DYI option. I have seen many home built boxes also. But that does not help your time situation. Actually, if you have the tools, you could put one together in a couple of days I would imagine. Parts Express is another place of interest if you are even remotely interested in some DYI projects.

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

as to whether the CS+ would be adequate for your room, ask Tom Vodhanel or anyone at SVS, they will gladly help you with good honest info.

imo, at least go with the CS+ now and add more later if you find you don't have enough bass. one CS+ is better than no sub at all, so if those couple hundreds make or break your budget...

the good thing about subs is that when you add another one, the first one is not wasted. so maybe go for one CS+ now and then buy another CS+ down the road?

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

Im not sure what to do now. I want to get the reference 7 speakers speakers and the sub at the same time but that would be over $4000 with the receiver and everything. Also with some things happening im in a bad money situation. I guess ill be stuck with these 10 watt built in tv speakers for a long time Frown.gif. My parents promised to give my some money to buy the system "soon" after we bought the tv but its been 6 months now and I dont think ill be getting anything any time soon. If I saved up $1000 I could get some cornwalls and drive them with my old receiver and then upgrade when the $ comes (if it ever does). I definitally cant afford RF-7s or a subwoofer.

TheBeast said:

"If I saved up $1000 I could get some cornwalls and drive them with my old receiver and then upgrade when the $ comes (if it ever does). I definitally cant afford RF-7s or a subwoofer."

This is certainly an option - the beauty of this hobby is you can do it one step at a time, as you are able, and as the deals come along. Don't get frustrated if you can't do it all at once. The challenge is to control the urge to do it all at once with too little dollars (where you often end up with lesser components that you later want to upgrade). I saw countless people do this when I sold gear - people wanted the whole system in one shot, so they ended up selecting components that they ultimately were not happy with.

Most of all, dont give up! Remember that "Rome wasn't built in a day". It takes time to "build the empire". Be patient, watch the web, ads, garage sales, etc - and do some research while you are waiting. That time can be spent learning more about the gear, so when that stellar deal comes along, you'll know it's worth it!!

Knowledge truly is power - and in this hobby, it will save you lots of $$$$. Good luck, and stick aroundSmile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by dndphishin:

....the beauty of this hobby is you can do it one step at a time, as you are able, and as the deals come along. Don't get frustrated if you can't do it all at once. The challenge is to control the urge to do it all at once with too little dollars (where you often end up with lesser components that you later want to upgrade).

Most of all, dont give up! Remember that "Rome wasn't built in a day". It takes time to "build the empire". Be patient, watch the web, ads, garage sales, etc - and do some research while you are waiting.

Knowledge truly is power - and in this hobby, it will save you lots of $$$$. Good luck, and stick around
Smile.gif

TheBeast,

Agree with the advice given. I'm a Klipsch Heritage Fan, so imo, any Klipsch speakers from that line are worthwhile candidates to begin building a musical or HT System.

With patience, smart buys and in no time you'll have a great system.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This may help. I recently had the same pricing problem. Here's what I decided on, and I'm more than satisfied!!

Denon AVR-2802 $620 shipped w/ warranty

RF3's

RS3's

RC3 -->Total for all about $1550 w/ tax from Ultimate Electronics

SVS PCi 25-31 around $585 shipped

About $200 in misc wires, cables etc...

Total Price: approx. $2955

Yes the 7's do sound better, but you're talking about a lot of extra cash (plus a bigger receiver to power them). Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.

------------------

"May your mind be like water and mold to many things." -Bruce Lee