Sunfire Sub

gsxr1000

I've been looking for a deal on a SVS sub for a while now and not much has been coming up so I'm looking at other options. This sub has been lurking on Craigslist for a while now. Fairly tight budget right now so this might be the ticket. For those of you who have experience with Sunfire subs please chime in on this. From the ad it looks to be the MK II but it doesn't say...just says MK. I know nothing about these. Anyways it looks like a good sub at a decent price. Thoughts and opinions....Thank you!

heres the ad

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/2918702750.html

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I gotta think you would be happy with that, I have a Sunfire D-10 in my living room set-up, and for it's size it does a nice job, the MK is above and beyond the D series.

Yeah just looking at the specs and some reviews I think it would be sufficient until I can afford the SVS PB-13. The smaller size of it is what's making me hisitant. My room is pretty small though so it might be great for this place. Thanks for the input!

I owned the Sunfire True Sub Signature(step up model but same amp and drivers) and it is a stick of dynamite. Very powerful and loud but just not as effortless as the SVS model you are interested in. For $450.00 it is definitely a very capable sub that will suffice until you get your SVS. You should be able to sell it for what you pay for it or maybe even more.

Bill

I owned the Sunfire True Sub Signature(step up model but same amp and drivers) and it is a stick of dynamite. Very powerful and loud but just not as effortless as the SVS model you are interested in. For $450.00 it is definitely a very capable sub that will suffice until you get your SVS. You should be able to sell it for what you pay for it or maybe even more.

Bill

I just emailed them and am awaiting a response. I'm tired of being sub-less so I hope this works out. Guess I should of held on to my PB-12+2 and RSW-12. Certainly regret selling those but oh well. Thank you very much for the input. Much appreciated!

I agree that would be a great purchase for that price. the MUCH bigger SVS will be more effortless like others have said but the Sunfire is great if you need a small size.

I have the HRS12 and it really kicks out big bass and can go increadibly low for the size. I am amazed many times when I have a good movie playing. and I came from a SVS sub before - it was great but just so big

Listened to some music and watched a movie and am pretty impressed with the sub. It is surprisingly loud for how tiny it is. In my small room it is certainly more than enough sub and sounds great with the RF-7IIs. Very happy so far. Thanks again for the input!

Listened to some music and watched a movie and am pretty impressed with the sub.

Glad you are impressed. I hate to suggest something and it end up disappointing to the buyer.[:#]

It is surprisingly loud for how tiny it is.

With 2700 watts it's got to be loud.[li]

In my small room it is certainly more than enough sub and sounds great with the RF-7IIs.

CHASLS2 here on the forum bought my Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature to go with his RF-7 system in his bedroom and it had no trouble at all keeping up for music and having plenty of impact for HT.

Very happy so far.

If that changes, you can't blame me later since your initial review was very favorable.[:P]

Bill

I think Sunfire would get more love if they were not so expensive new. For $1000ish there are TONS of options out there especially if you are not concerned with the size of the sub. But if you are (like I was) there are very few options that can play with the Sunfires

congrats on your new toy!

If that changes, you can't blame me later since your initial review was very favorable.Stick out tongue

Bill

It will be all your fault. Haha just kidding. I appreciate your input!

Of course today a MKII showed up on craigslist cheaper than I got the original. I got the original for $425 and now there's a MKII for $400. It's funny how a better deal always shows up right after you purchase something. Ah, either way I'm very happy with my purchase.

So is it worth getting the MKII and selling mine?

It could be. The other mentioned ad specifies that it is the EQ model which has an onboard equalizer and 12 inch drivers.

If you can afford to own both at the same time, just A-B them and sell the one you like least.

Worth a shot.

Bill

It could be. The other mentioned ad specifies that it is the EQ model which has an onboard equalizer and 12 inch drivers.

If you can afford to own both at the same time, just A-B them and sell the one you like least.

Worth a shot.

Bill

I think it's the MKII not the EQ model even though those are the specs he put on the ad. I asked for more pictures but I'm pretty sure it's just the MKII. I did some research and it looks like there were some improvements made to the MKII so it might be worth it. I may do the comparison like you said.

I think it's the MKII not the EQ model even though those are the specs he put on the ad.

I think you are right. The TS-EQ12 has a detachable powercord and the sub in the ad photo clearly has a fixed cord.

I may do the comparison like you said.

You may just like the sound with two Sunfires in the mix.[^o)]

Bill

I think it's the MKII not the EQ model even though those are the specs he put on the ad.

I think you are right. The TS-EQ12 has a detachable powercord and the sub in the ad photo clearly has a fixed cord.

I may do the comparison like you said.

You may just like the sound with two Sunfires in the mix.Hmm

Bill

Believe me that crossed my mind but I can't really afford to keep both right now.

Believe me that crossed my mind but I can't really afford to keep both right now.

Sorry, I think I enjoy spending others $$$ better than mine.Embarrassed

Bill

Yeah me too haha. I just want to have the funds available for when a deal on a SVS comes around. I know it will just be a matter of time. Either the PB-12+2 or the 13ultra. I may even keep the sunfire after I find the SVS for a room system down the road cause it is pretty impressive for such a compact unit.

I ordered a Sunfire True Signature Sub off of ebay. It should get here 4-3-2012. I have three days to evaluate it. I have done alot of research on the internet and there are alot of pros to this sub. However there are apparently issues that come up with this sub. Over time the sub tends to "shake" itself to death (or repair) due to its high power relative to its size. So I am going to try and set it up mechanically so it wont "walk" on me. I intend to use it mostly for music so that will keep some of the ultra low frequencies out of it too. Appearently it "walks" most for only the lowest of frequencies.

After years of use there are issues I found with the auto off circuitry (wants to turn off while music is playing). So I am going to test that feature well. There are also issues of the sub having a "hum" noise. The manufacturer recommend having the sub on an isolated AC outlet separate from the rest of the stereo equipment. And to keep the AC cord away from the line level cables.

Well fingers crossed that I didn't get a lemon here. Ebay is offering a two year warranty on it for $170. I may just go for it but I think I'll call Sunfire to see what a "standard" repair charge is. I think I've see on the internet that Sunfire charges $350 for an over haul but I'm going to verify that.

I'm going to have my Sunfire Signature in a few hours.

Quote from Willland: "Just been playing around with the Sunfire and my Heresys in my "demo
room"(spare bedroom). Hooked a pair of RCA cables to right/left preouts
on my Marantz 2252b and set Sunfire crossover to 50HZ, phase at 50
degrees and gain at 1/4 inch from mute. Wow."

This is very close to my set up. I'm going to also use the RCA's to right/left preouts. But I'm also going to use the sub's high pass (70Hz) RCA's to come back to the Marantz's Main-in. Then set the sub's crossover to 80Hz. Gain also at 1/4 inch from mute (Thanks for the info Bill). For phase I was going to start at 90 degrees and then run a phase test tone CD to see what's up.

I can't wait!!!