Sub for La Scala??

Taz

X-mass will be here before be here before I'm ready. Looking for some sub bass for my son's La Scala's. He has been very good about helping me to help someone else that needed it. I'm hoping to find something in the 5-6 hundred range, maybe a little more. He has a pair of Pioneer SX 950 Rated at 85 watts RMS per channel into 8 ohms and 110 watts RMS into 4 ohms. Also AR58 speakers besides the La Scalas.

Any suggestions?

Taz

If he has the room, go DIY and build a Tuba HT. Nothing matches the horn-loaded La Scala like a horn-loaded sub!

There are an array of horn loaded sub's on Bill Fitzmaurice's website. The THT is great for home theater, but it is actually an actave lower than needed for most music. There are smaller more musical BF subs if space is an issue. Keep in mind that the size of the sub is only the beginning. The placement of the sub is ideally with the mouth facing the corner at a 45 degree angle. That makes the idea space needed for a 24.5" wide THT about 16 sq ft. minimum, or about 4' by 4' of a corner. Secondly, you have to purchase a stand alone amp to power the sub. This will set you back about $200. In the end, you will be at about your $500 budget with the Baltic Birch plywood, the PL glue, the driver, the amp, and the other hardware. This is if you choose not to finish it.

I have used a Paradigm DSP-3200 sub with a pair of my LaScalas in giant iPod mode, and they sounded terrific. Basically I took a pro amp and connected an ipod to it with some adapters, and ran the outputs through the high powered inputs of the sub, and then out to the LaScalas. The kids could hook up whatever iphone, ipod or mp3 player up, and turn up the volume. The sub kept up just fine, and everybody was amazed.

I also have THT subs which I currently use with my LaScalas. They are great, I must admit, but I have plenty of room to situate speakers.

If he has the room, go DIY and build a Tuba HT. Nothing matches the horn-loaded La Scala like a horn-loaded sub!

There are an array of horn loaded sub's on Bill Fitzmaurice's website. The THT is great for home theater, but it is actually an actave lower than needed for most music. There are smaller more musical BF subs if space is an issue. Keep in mind that the size of the sub is only the beginning. The placement of the sub is ideally with the mouth facing the corner at a 45 degree angle. That makes the idea space needed for a 24.5" wide THT about 16 sq ft. minimum, or about 4' by 4' of a corner. Secondly, you have to purchase a stand alone amp to power the sub. This will set you back about $200. In the end, you will be at about your $500 budget with the Baltic Birch plywood, the PL glue, the driver, the amp, and the other hardware. This is if you choose not to finish it.

Well he has no WAF to meet, and with some shifting of componants on wall 4x4 space would be available. Coment says good for Home Theater, but how about stereo only? From what I have found it looks good. What size amp is needed to power this? Is it a special amp to go to the lower frequency? I be a bit ignorant, but know when to ask questions. I don't think it would be right not to finnish it.

Asked the wife about one to go with the KHorns. Major resistance. We'll see. Maybe I just won't tell her it is for my son, and see how much resistance I get.

The one on sale that ends today I could not find much spec's on. And I hate buy today or it's too late. Might be missing a deal, but in 1.5 hours sale is over,

Well he has no WAF to meet, and with some shifting of componants on wall 4x4 space would be available. Coment says good for Home Theater, but how about stereo only? From what I have found it looks good. What size amp is needed to power this? Is it a special amp to go to the lower frequency? I be a bit ignorant, but know when to ask questions. I don't think it would be right not to finnish it.

Asked the wife about one to go with the KHorns. Major resistance. We'll see. Maybe I just won't tell her it is for my son, and see how much resistance I get.

The one on sale that ends today I could not find much spec's on. And I hate buy today or it's too late. Might be missing a deal, but in 1.5 hours sale is over,

For stereo only, I wouldn't use a THT. There are other horn subs which have more punch that don't go quite as low. As for an amp, 200 watts is more than enough. I use an ordinary pro amp, but many use a plate amp and build a box around it, so they can use the low pass filter in it and use high level inputs. Here is a really good forum you can post some specific questions on:

http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

Many think the Table Tuba is the most musical. Table Tuba and Tuba HT both corner loaded:

I use the Tuba-18 with mine. It has no trouble keeping up, sounds great and is a 19" cube. I run 25 wpc on my Lascalas and 125 watts to the sub. Plenty loud for the room it's in. I think it's about 18' x 19' or somewhere there abouts.

Carl, It took a while, but I finally located an SPL chart for your Tuba 18:

T18.gif

There are a number of BF tubas to choose from. The choice would depend on the music your son listens to and the room size. There are plans available for (in order of size) T18, T24, T30, Table Tuba, Table Tuba Long, T60, and Tuba Home Theater. The T-24, 30 and 60 subs can be V-Coupled, which can give an additional 2.5db gain. Frankly, I would not v-couple indoors unless your room is huge. The 30 and 60 tend to be used in outdoor venues.

Like I said before, leave a message on the BF forum I linked to in my previous post. They will be more than happy to narrow the choice more.

These subs utilize a single 8" sub driver. You can use two 8" drivers if you build with panel widths of 18-24".

One driver is plenty. It's amazing what that little box can put out. I used THIS driver, It's a little beast. A 30 Hz sine wave can be felt in my garage. The sub is in my bedroom about 50' and 2 exterior walls away.

You can build my "coffe table" tapped horn sub using a LAB12 for $300. Much easier than anything else here and it goes down very low................15-18 hz.

Is that a BFM design? I've heard that term referring to one of his designs but didn't think he designed tapped horns.

The Tuba HT LP in 24.5" has the same sound as my LaScala so it gets my vote on that basis.

I think the LP version is easier to build as there are less parts.

I think the LP version is easier to fit into a room especially in the 36" width version as that's still only 18" deep.

I'm interested in the Table Tuba also now as I have seen a build project where the teenager used dual drivers with a wide cabinet. there is also a LP Low Profile version which could be placed against the wall.

It's possible to move a 36" wide Tuba HT LP through doorways and it could be placed between the wall and a Khorn or a LaScala using the 36" side to reform the corner albeit 18" away from the wall.

I have built two horn subs, a Cinema F-20 (recently finished with more pics coming soon) for my K-horns, and a tuba table for the La Scalas. The tuba table is a great match for the La Scala both for music and movies. I turn up the sub volume for movies, and lower for music. When balanced correctly the transition from La Scala to sub is seamless. The tuba table is a reasonable size box (for those of us with BIG speakers), the Cinema F-20 not so much. It is bigger and heavier than the k-horns, but a huge bottom end! The tuba table is a bit of a PITA to build with all the angled in side cuts, the Cinema F-20 easy. Attached is a pic of the F-20, as yet unpainted.

post-28706-13819691782812_thumb.jpg

Nice! Boy does that look familiarWink. Where are the build pics?

Coming soon, I want to paint it first.

What are the outside dimentions? Have shop 24' wide x 48' long upstairs and downstairs. Might make good place for that big one. Am certainly getting some education here.

Any disadvantage to having the lower frequency in a stereo system not used for TV? If it sounds good and hits the lows I think I like it,, even if WAF bans it to shop. [:'(]

Taz