A good five watt amplifier is all I need now...

sheltie dave

There are more than a few significant collectors that haunt this forum, so here is a thread for you. Back in the day, way back in the day, Sherman Fairchild reportedly either built, copied, bought, or conferred with PWK and had a 4/3 sized KHorn bass bin at his NY townhouse in his prime mono system. Being a profligate businessman who loved planes, things military, and music/stereo, Fairchild soon had stereo manufacturing plant cooking, and he had amps, preamps, turntables, and recording gear buit for a little under a decade. Some of it was under the radar, some has enormous stature.

This is one of his mono preamps that is slowly gaining stature, but I love it for also being unassumingly cool and businesslike. I can't wait to get it sorted and playing!

Posted Image

Posted Image

What's up Guy(s)?

My second job out of college was with Fairchild Communications and Electronics Co. It was mostly defense work like building dashboards for military aircraft, etc. I had no idea he ever built audio equipment. Very cool Dave. Keep us posted on your progress.

Hey Gary,

It has been a while. Hope that all is well.

Been busy playing with my new toy (boy) Smile426923_10150609942832408_537727407_95330

Congrats Guy!

I've also been busy playing with my new toy (grandaughter).Smile

She is a cutie! Hopefully you are getting in a lot of babysitting time!

Best

Josh

Mike, I'll settle for just one Fairchild amp. Ask Bob if he knows of any. Cool

Way back when (early 1960's), I owned a single Fairchild 255A, their 30-watt monobloc. It had EL-34's (what linear-sounding amp didn't have those?). We thought the Fairchild amp had a richer, stronger sound than the Marantz 8B, it's much more popular competitor. Macs' bass was thought by some to be excessive.

61801504207425870 Fairchild 255A EL34 30 watt Tube Power Amps

I loved the amp, but had only one of everything in those days. The stereo leap was too far in the future for me to stock up on a pair.

61801504207425871 Fairchild 255A EL34 30 watt Tube Power Amps

I also had Fairchild's mono preamp, probably the Model 245 pictured above in this thread.

It's amazing how rare, and in what rotten shape, Fairchild audio electronics are today, in contrast to Marantz and Mac and the rest we know so well. I don't think they deserved that!

There is or was a Fairchild 260 on the Forum, who was both smart and lucky enough to get a pair of that higher-powered model. His avatar is the only pic I have ever seen of those truly rare birds. Here's Gil's 2006 thread on Sherman Fairchild that included 260's description: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/71884/708844.aspx#708844. I wonder if 260 got everything hooked up and going, what OP tubes were used, and what he thinks about them now. NOSValves might have some good info.