Who can fly Horn response and would lend me a hand?

I am looking for someone who can fly HR and would be willing to lend me a hand . I have been looking for a set of Peavey FH-1 to go with a set of SP1 horns I just got but I can't find any locally. So I was looking for plans. No success on the FH-1 plans so far. I see that the FH-1 is actually much more closely related to a Belle than a LaScalla and I see why the Belle is to me a nicer horn than a La Scalla. That is just my personal opinion.

If you massage a Belle just a little and stretch out the point of the dog house so it is no longer truncated and you extend the side walls forward to line up with the new point of the dog house then you end up with a cabinet almost the same as a FH-1 just a little bit smaller overall. I would like to have someone run the simulations to see what this does for the low end response and also run some sims to see what adding corner reflectors will do for the cabinet response over 500 Hz. I don't have cash to throw at ths but I could compensate in other ways if the HR pilot would like because this is a bit of work I know.

Is there anybody interested? Thank for any consideration given here. Best regards Moray James.

Thanks Don: I will have a good look at those and see if they help me I have issues and I wanted to sidestep the griedf and time of trying to do this myself. I havee made a number of attempts at making HR go but mot with much success. Perhaps if I could sit down with someone who was good with it I would have better luck but I don't know anyone who does who is available to hold my hand. I will have a read and try again as I would love to learn to fly it on my own for all those what if questions I tend to have. Thanks for your kind post. Best regards Moray James.

Thank you Fritz: I dont suppose you have the EV data sheet on this do you? Is this the closest in size that EV have to the FH-1? This EV looks about the same overall size curious what else they did around this size. Right now I am either considering an FH-1 or a "stretch" Belle horn.It looks like the FH-1 should hit 40 Hz which would make it the equal to a Cornwall but with way more jam. Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks again. Best regards Moray James

The EV Eliminator is a good 2 fold horn that I have built and used in the past. It has less distortion than the Lascala bass horn and was designed to be cut out with a Skil saw, so no fancy woodworking equipment needed. It goes to about 60 Hz and that's about the best you are going to get with a horn of that size, but that's a lot of output @60 Hz. A pair of these a side on a PA will rattle your teeth 40 feet away.

Since these will be used for home monitoring I don't know that I need to worry about teeth at 40 feet but parting your hair is cool. I think the size or the EV Eliminatoe is good but what does the response look like in the other direction as I am going to need to cross at about 500Hz as this will be a two way.

I think that every extra fold is a negative for a monitor (re the twin 15 cab design) and the La Scalla/Belle/FH-1 style design goes a long way to keeping the sound from getting messed up with additional folds. Even so I have read about (and know one considering) who have made the jump to straight mid/bass horns for this very reason.I think that for those who want to remain true to Klipsch that a "stretch" Bell would be the way to go at almost the same size as a FH-1 it should hit 40 Hz at a guess and would handily out perform a La Scalla in a nice size package. For those who want an MWM but who don't have the space and with less bending of the sound it would be a cool project. I can't believe that no one has ever considered stretching a Belle back out to the size she should have been (not truncated to fit on a wall as a centre channel). She really is a full figured girl at heart. Make here the same height as a MF-1 (25") and a stretch Belle should rock and roll. Maybe she should be called the Belle ll, I like that better. The Lady has new life. Best regards Moray James.

Moray

I think bigger is better, thats a gut feeling. I built a pair of ported lascala clones with corner reflectors and it seems to have a nasal sound to it with "of-v-v-v-v-vv-vv-v" being a problem so I use a 4.0 Mh inductor to cut the upper limit and use it to augment my Klipschorns with the enclosed tscm style enclosed backs. There is a Belle for the center and it runs without any inductor at all at the moment. My FH-1 are ported also and live out in the back of the garage and run in mono with a klipschorn top and an type A crossover. They seem to have more bass than the Cornwalls that are out there. 40hz in any of your proposed cabs will be a stretch wothout porting in my opinion, I think you need to really build some cabs just to see how they sound. Get a pari of K33's and a some cheap plywood and build them and see what you like and what you don't.

I don't recall the relative cabinet sizes, but the University classic is a nice design with a fairly clean folding that enables a good shot at getting your 500 Hz crosspoint. I have built a LaScala-like design, and I prefer the Classic. However, the choice of woofer will be pretty important, or at least you will want some good EQ to deal with issues.

On my Classics, I used a woofer that had all the right specs (low Qts, good Fs, high sensitivity, all that), and I think the design would probably do better with a K33E woofer, based on my experiences with using different woofers in a Khorn (yes, two very different designs, but what a difference a woofer makes in this beast).

The only other way I know of to get a decent 500 Hz point is to use one of the back loaded horn designs, and using the front to directly radiate, or with a short horn ala Altec VOT. The VOT bass design isn't bad, and would match your SP-1 nicely. Just big!

-M

Horario: thanks for the post> I have a Vot with 811B horns they were my first high efficiency love but they did not last long due to size and level, mum was not impresses. I don't want to go that big now myself either. I will take a look at the University Classic, what was it that you liked about the Classic compared to the La Scalla? Thanks and best regards Moray James.

Thanks Gary for the response. You mentioned that your FH-1 are porteddid you also add to the dog house volume as has been done with La Scalla's? Klipsch claim low fifty hertz for both La Scalla and Belle. I would Imagine a Belle ll or an FH'1 ought to be able to deliver the best part of an additional 10 Hertz. Given the increase in size of either cabinet and since they are both longer and have larger mouths I would think five hertz lower output would be an easy stretch. You are right about building though, problem is for me now I don't have ready access to a shop like I once did so I would like to make this a one shot deal if I can. Thats partly why I wanted to do some HT simulations first. Best regards Moray James.

Peavey quotes 58 -3db and 45 -10db

You need to learn how to search this forum, there is a wealth of info that has been offered and if you don't go and find it you are wasting your own time. Use AND between search parameters and it will pay off. It has for me,

http://community.klipsch.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=ported+AND+fh-1&o=Relevance

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/143071/1462704.aspx#1462704

FH-1.pdf

Moray:

What I liked: the folding is a bit gentler. More of a conch shell type of fold. The only really complex cuts are for the first expansion pieces. The rest are pretty simple. The other thing I liked was that I could fit a pretty good sized top horn to it, if the horn cab is placed with the long side as the horizontal axis, and you mount the top horn on top of the classic bass bin. This enables to fit an EVHR9040, for example. On the other hand. if you are crossing at 500 Hz, you can fit an HR90 within the body of the bass horn mouth, I think. Certainly you ought to be able to fit a standard exponential in there, if 500 Hz is the goal, and you are using 1" drivers. That keeps the envelope to what the classic's overall envelope is. The original Classic used a EV Cobraflex style mid mounted in the mouth.

Since these will be used for home monitoring I don't know that I need to worry about teeth at 40 feet but parting your hair is cool. I think the size or the EV Eliminatoe is good but what does the response look like in the other direction as I am going to need to cross at about 500Hz as this will be a two way.

The stock Eliminator 2 was crossed @800.