Who can fly Horn response and would lend me a hand?

Thanks Don: I should have looked a little harder at the great info Fritz posted, I was looking for a response graph of the woofer alone and was brain dead to looking at the xover points. That said I would still like to see a graph. I still don't think that the latger 18 inch driver buys a lot in my situation as a single 15 inch woofer has a tiny bit longer horn path. I was thinking about stacked 12 inch woofers but that gets a little spendy in a stereo pair but would push more air than a single 15 and have a slightl longer horn path. More drivers and the dog hose has to get bigger one way or another. I am not aware of the relationship between the drivers compression chamber and the horns response. Anybody here good with that? Thank you for the help guys. Best regards Moray James.

I don't think I would use large folded horn speakers for home monitoring. Depending on the size constriants. Needs could be fully met with two Heresy sized cab with an ST-350 tweeter, 811b mid horn, k-42 woofers in one box and a kp-480 sub off in the corner. I think bi-radial horns are good for near feild monitoring. Shaping the Heresy boxes as H-SM's gives a good studio sound. less internal boomyness due to less parallel sides. Only top and bottom vs front/back, side/side, top/bottom in a traditional box design.

ThanksFritz: I already have the SP1 horns on the way to me now. I would like to maitain as much of their high efficiency as possible. I have a pair of H3 right now which are being modifired pretty heavily and responding very well I might add. I think most of the boominess you mention can be effectively delt with eith brace work. Heresy presents some challenges due to the small volume but they are ways around that too. Horn loaded bass is special and I want to capture as much of that as I can. Best regards Moray James.

I started the drawing back when I ported the FH-1 as I needed the volume of the back chamber. I only needed the triangular back chamber but I had the top view full size but no dimensions other that the width and depth and the internal size of the back chamber.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/143071/1462704.aspx#1462704

On Wednesday morningI took the rest of the dimensions that I could get and wrote them down on the drawing and finished the top view by noon. I took some photos but they sucked so I sat down and drew it out in paint and photoeditor that evening. It took about an hour and a bit to get the top view and another 45 monutes or so to do the back view. The ranps are calculated from the other dimensions and are probably close enough (plus or minus an eighth). I wasn't going to take the Khorn top off then the ported chamber and finally the woofer to get those measurments. It was supposed to be a quicky but turned into about 3 hours and a dozen saves at different points do it. I had looked before and I didn't find any drawings on the internet so I did this one as folks are always looking. Other folks have done a lot to help me in the past even if they don't know it. There are lots of drawing on this forum and I try to give back something in the way of builds and drawings as words are kind of boring to a picture person like myself. That old addage of a picture is worth a 1000 words is oh so true with me...

post-42841-13819691993784_thumb.jpg

Thank you Gary again for paying it forward, I am sure that you are wight there are many who will appreciate this, myself not the least. For those who want a total Klipsch solution the Belle design extended in depth and the dog house drawn out to a point also will yield almost the same size cabinet (as an FH-1) just a little smaller overall but a few inches of extra depth would make up in more length. That would please PWK I am sure to see the Belle in all her glory and not truncated as the wallflower that she has been all these long decades.Best regards Moray James.

Thank you Bruce for posting the great graphics and yes the original post is in French there are also great photos of the actual build at this link

http://www.cinetson.org/phpBB3/haut-rendement-f3/pavillon-peavey-fh1-t34907.html The OP has done some superb builds.

Given the single 90 degree bend of this design or horn style is there any other out there which have any less impact upon the sound short of the obvious straight horn that I may be missing? Best regards Moray James.

After looking at Bruce's 3D drawings and then looking at my photo of the spliter I modifified the drawing I did to reflect those differences. I doubt that it would sound any different but it looks like it would be easier to cut the ramps. The sides of the FH-1 are only Single 3/4 plywood and thats cab that Bruce's drawing shows with the double wall thickness would be 220 lbs, my lacalla clones with 27mm sides tops and backs is about 180 with just the K33 woofer and its a beast to lift.

post-42841-13819692008682_thumb.jpg

• 9 years later...
On 3/30/2012 at 10:28 PM, garyeanderson said:

The sides of the FH-1 are only Single 3/4 plywood and thats cab that Bruce's drawing shows with the double wall thickness would be 220 lbs

A flash from the past.

The French drawings are using 15mm, so the double thickness comes out to a fraction over 1 inch and not 1 1/2.