Biamping crossover suggestion not diy

WVPaul

I don't understand the question. Is your concern the power or signal connection(s)?

Signal connection, the Onkyo 1008 has two sub outs, I was trying to narrow it down to the Rcvr or the sub. Both sub outs make a hum, so I was wondering what electrically seperates the two sub outs, if anything.

I won't be able to get anything done tonight the wife's watching the tube, and she don't like me fartin around when she's watching.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

I won't be able to try this till tomorrow, but there are a lot of articles about when going from pre-out RCA to XLR, the results can be a hum

I must have got lucky, that's exactly what I did RCA pre-out on HTR to XLR to EV-DX and no hum. It's not a fancy wire just regular Monoprice stuff.

I think I misspoke, there weren't a lot of articles, there were a few articles. Just wanted to set that straight.

It's no big deal, you never know when a hum can pop up and even worse what's causing it.

The hum is gone but, cables, equipment are all pulled out, so as I put everything back hopefully it stays away.

There were 2 issues, 1st the amps and crossover are about 8 ft away, if I installed the crossover at the receiver no hum if I placed it in the rack hum returned, the isolation transformer was able to remove this issue.

2nd issue is the subwoofer issue, my plan initially was to pull 100hz and below off the center and cross that over to the sub, and sum it with the sub signal. I thought this was possible, but my sub (SVS 20-39 pc Plus, 10 years old) which does not have LFE, just line in / out, and speaker in / out, does not like it, or its not possible, or I'm doing it wrong. I hooked AVR sub out to left line in, and the center 100hz or below to the right.

So it seems everthing is going to work, I'm still trying to figure how to send the center speaker "Low" from the crossover to the sub. What is the best way to sum subwoofer signals?

Especially with RCA connectors. The tip usually connects before the sleeve, so there is no ground connection until the sleeve connects.

When I replaced the RCA wires that came with my CD/DVD/VCR purchases, I replaced them with some Mogami's. I don't necessarily think that made a HUGE difference however, I did buy these Neutrik connectors for them.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=092-114&utm_source=googleps

Nice thing about these is the outer sleeve part is spring loaded so the ground mates first and eliminates the problem referenced above. When I first got them I knew they looked a bit different. I didn't realize the sleeve actually slid INTO the housing as it was connecting.

Today, all of my wires have been replaced and these are now being used anwhere that RCA is being used. (XLR's are being used where appropriate)

For anyone who's interested in having some nice ends, I've been pleased with these so far.

<snip>There were 2 issues, 1st the amps and crossover are about 8 ft away, if I installed the crossover at the receiver no hum if I placed it in the rack hum returned, the isolation transformer was able to remove this issue.

2nd issue is the subwoofer issue, my plan initially was to pull 100hz and below off the center and cross that over to the sub, and sum it with the sub signal. I thought this was possible, but my sub (SVS 20-39 pc Plus, 10 years old) which does not have LFE, just line in / out, and speaker in / out, does not like it, or its not possible, or I'm doing it wrong. I hooked AVR sub out to left line in, and the center 100hz or below to the right.

<snip>

re: issue 1

Are the amps "about 8 feet away" ffrom the AVR and EQ? Is the "rack" where the amps are located? Is all the equipment powered from the same power strip? Is this the case with or without the subwoofer connected?

re: issue 2

I'm a 2-channel guy, so this may reflect my ignorance. I would expect that the AVR does all the "correct" summing/crossover/delay processing and sends the result out the subwoofer output. What am I missing?

re: issue 1

Are the amps "about 8 feet away" ffrom the AVR and EQ? Is the "rack" where the amps are located? Is all the equipment powered from the same power strip? Is this the case with or without the subwoofer connected?

Yes. Yes. No, but it was tested with an extension cord and it still had the hum. Yes. The isolation xfmr seems to have cleaned up all this hum.

re: issue 2

I'm a 2-channel guy, so this may reflect my ignorance. I would expect that the AVR does all the "correct" summing/crossover/delay processing and sends the result out the subwoofer output. What am I missing?

Short answer, you are probably correct. Long answer, I was trying to do a 3-way active crossover high/mid through passive crossover, mid/low direct connect to woofer speakers, which leaves low to subwoofer. That being said, I started with a game plan but with the hum, I kinda got side tracked and now that I've got the hum gone, I think I'm going to take a step back and set it up as a 2-way, get everything set back up, I still need to tweak and tune, and then enjoy the home theater.