Biamping crossover suggestion not diy

WVPaul

Sorry I thought I was done, but after much researching I have another question. Is there any real difference between the home audio amps, (Parasound, Emotiva, Outlaw) and I think they call them DJ amps (Crown, QSC, Behringer, Samson, Peavey). These would be used for bi-amp, and future tri-amp Home theater setup.

Thanks

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry I thought I was done, but after much researching I have another question. Is there any real difference between the home audio amps, (Parasound, Emotiva, Outlaw) and I think they call them DJ amps (Crown, QSC, Behringer, Samson, Peavey). These would be used for bi-amp, and future tri-amp Home theater setup.

Thanks

Not really, although you'll get a wide variety of circuits (some class AB, some G/H, the Crown drivecore amps are class D, etc.) and methods describing power. Try to make sure that you're comparing apples to apples when comparing amps (i.e. use 20-20K all channels driven RMS power rather than 1kHz IHF or IEC ratings). Most of the pro-sumer/DJ amps have fans, which may be audible. Some of the pro-sumer gear is perfectly fine to flat out awesome for home use (crown drivercore), and some I wouldn't let near my system (peavey).

If you want no nonsense, well engineered amps with a 7 year warranty, check out ATI. (Made in the USA too, if that matters.) Available in 2 to 7 channels (make that up to 12 channels), and from 60 to 300 watts/ch (the higher output multi-channel amps require dedicated 20A line to get to full power).

Thanks

Pro Audio Amps

Pros

More bang for your buck

Cons

Ugly

Fan noise - some modify or replace fans, the best solution is to locate the amp to a ventilated closet or another room.

Input sensitivity - may require higher input voltages to reach full output power. If you're using a pro active crossover, this shouldn't be an issue. On the other hand, if you're using the preamp subwoofer output of a consumer reciever to drive a pro amp, this may be a problem.

Here is some info on Gain Structure, which is useful to know when you start mixing pro and consumer gear. Lots to read here, I would suggest looking at Part 3 first.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-receivers-processors-amps/35677-gain-structure-home-theater-getting-most-pro-audio-equipment-your-system.html

Pros

More bang for your buck

Typically, yes, but when you put the amps on a level playing field then some consumer gear is superior (at least in regards to the dollar/watt measure). Compare Emo XPA series amps to the Behringer pro-sumer amps, using full bandwidth, all channels driven power within distortion limits, and you'll find that Emotiva actually has more watts/dollar than the Behringers. That's not to say the Emos are better (lack gain controls, high inherent gain structure), but they do provide more watts per dollar.

Emotiva is the present value leader in consumer amps while Behringer is kind of a bottom feeder, so perhaps that's an unfair example. But the point I would like the OP to take to heart is that it is important to make sure you're making an appropriate comparison, as the manufacturer provided specs are often quite misleading.

Here is a blind test between a Behringer amp and some pricey audiophile gear.

http://www.matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm

Nice. This is not surprising, and is actually why in my post above I said that there is "not really" much difference. Unless you throw high output impedance or some other thermionic related wierdness into the equation, it's amazing how indistinguishable unclipped amps sound. Just make sure you have the power for your speakers/room/desired spl, with a bit to spare.

For pro-sumer amps, I like the fan-less Yamahas and Drivecore Crowns. Great values, tons of power. Not a fan of the Behringers, and those that were used in the test must have the gains maxed (wickedly bad noise when the gains aren't maxed on those POS behringers, which kind of negates the utility of having a gain control).

But the point I would like the OP to take to heart is that it is important to make sure you're making an appropriate comparison, as the manufacturer provided specs are often quite misleading.

I can't argue with this. Some pro amp specs are shady.

Right now I am looking at Parasound 275 or the Crown D-75a, prices are comparable. Any thoughts? Dtel I now you are using these for bi amping, are you happy with them? Is there anything you don't like?

I am using Emotiva equipment right now, XPA-5, and UPA-1, but the UPA-1 doesn't have gain control so the center speaker which will be bi amped would be using the Parasound or Crown, everthing else will run off the Emotiva equipment.

Pros

More bang for your buck

Typically, yes, but when you put the amps on a level playing field then some consumer gear is superior (at least in regards to the dollar/watt measure). Compare Emo XPA series amps to the Behringer pro-sumer amps, using full bandwidth, all channels driven power within distortion limits, and you'll find that Emotiva actually has more watts/dollar than the Behringers. That's not to say the Emos are better (lack gain controls, high inherent gain structure), but they do provide more watts per dollar.

Emotiva is the present value leader in consumer amps while Behringer is kind of a bottom feeder, so perhaps that's an unfair example. But the point I would like the OP to take to heart is that it is important to make sure you're making an appropriate comparison, as the manufacturer provided specs are often quite misleading.

OK, we get it, you don't like Behringer. How about QSC?

The following are all class AB, specs are 20Hz-20kHz, 8 ohms, 0.1% THD. Note - QSC lists IM distortion, damping factor, and input sensitivity, Emotiva does not. It's not listed in their manuals, on the website or in their "Audio Precision Spec Test Data" .pdfs! And why does the XPA-2 Audio Precision Spec Test Data.pdf show the 1kHz output as 265 wpc @ 8 ohms (see screen shot below)? Let's talk about misleading.

Emo XPA-2 $1.33 per watt - may be more due to questionable spec data, Emo UPA-1 $1.74, QSC RMX 1450 $.96

Emotiva XPA-2 $799, 300? wpc x2, warranty - 5yr

Emotiva UPA-1 $349, 200 wpc x1, warranty - 5yr

QSC RMX 1450 $499, 260 wpc x2, 800 mono, gain controls, 3+3yr warranty

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/x-series/products/xpa2

http://emotiva.com/resources/media/xpa2/xpa2_8ohm.pdf

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/ultra-series/products/upa1

http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/rmx/rmx.htm

post-53023-1381969222201_thumb.png

The QSC PLX series would be better than the RMX... I believe they are a little quieter (electrical noise). A lots of guys on here use certain Behringer amps for their subs, and consider them more than capable.

Bruce

The QSC PLX series would be better than the RMX... I believe they are a little quieter (electrical noise). A lots of guys on here use certain Behringer amps for their subs, and consider them more than capable.

Bruce

Indeed. And still $.96 per watt.

QSC PLX 1104 $594, 310 wpc x2, Free 6 year extended warranty per QSC website

http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/plx2/plx1104_specifications.htm

http://www.djdeals.com/qscPLX1104.htm

• Moderators

I'm not sure what all those emoticons mean, I take it you disagree with me?

I agree, although not the ugliest, there nothing to look at, unless you like blinky lights. If so between the Crowns and the EV there are plenty lights moving when you give it a little volume.

I'm not sure what all those emoticons mean, I take it you disagree with me?

I agree, although not the ugliest, there nothing to look at, unless you like blinky lights. If so between the Crowns and the EV there are plenty lights moving when you give it a little volume.

Your 1U units look OK. It's the newer silver faced crap I don't like. Btw, I cover annoying, bright LED's with Coax Seal. It looks like tar but it's more like thick silly putty - w/o the oily residue. If it's an important indicator light, I leave a pinhole.

post-53023-13819692238544_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Your 1U units look OK. It's the newer silver faced crap I don't like. Btw, I cover annoying, bright LED's with Coax Seal. It looks like tar but it's more like thick silly putty - w/o the oily residue. If it's an important indicator light, I leave a pinhole.

They lights don't bother me it's only for 2 Ch and I'm usually not sitting there listing unless a song gets me to come sit down. [Y] It's kind of one main open area and is on many hours, I do sit and listen but not for long periods.

I like the little crown amps but have had a few problems, had to replace one, it would buzz for not apparent reason. Then not buzz for months. It's now in the workshop and is quiet ?

But they really sound good when working right, I would love to have some new ones but for what they cost new I would look at comparing other amps.