Should I upgrade from Image One to Mode M40?

J-Fly

Ok, so far I've compared my Image One headphones with just about everything out there (Seinheiser HD 25, Beats By Dre, etc). The Image Ones always come out on top. I'm satisfied and was going to upgrade to the Reference One headphones assuming that it has the same performance, but with stronger high quality cable. That was until the Mode M40 was released. I've come across some mixed reviews and wanted to know if the M40 is worth the money. I combine my Image One headphones with the FiiO E11 headphone amplifier and the sound is insane. Can the Mode M40 top that?

I have image ones, there great....no need to upgrade in my opinion.

Yes, I agree. I keep looking for excuses to upgrade, but I have to accept that the Image Ones are perfect. I was so disappointed with the Sennheiser HD25-1 II.

I would recommend the upgrade... The Image Ones are alright headphones, however the Mode M40 produce a more balanced natural sound . They also provide a significant amount of isolation compared to the Image Ones. However , I would not recommend them if you have a larger then normal size head. I actually am about to sell my Klipsch Mode M40's after about 3 months of consistent use because the clamping force is too great on my head. If you are interested in upgrading I have a used pair I am looking to sell/trade for other headphones

Hi! I have both and they are entirely different headphones. I love the bass from the Image One, but for rock / metal, the M40s are better - warmer sounding and the higher frequencies are beautiful.

The M40 have less bass, though it's more than neutral headphones. Oh, and the active noise-cancelling is very effective. I alternate them, but always use the M40s when traveling by train.

Hope this helps!

Hi! I have both and they are entirely different headphones. I love the bass from the Image One, but for rock / metal, the M40s are better - warmer sounding and the higher frequencies are beautiful.

The M40 have less bass, though it's more than neutral headphones. Oh, and the active noise-cancelling is very effective. I alternate them, but always use the M40s when traveling by train.

Hope this helps!

^this is my exact conclusion also.

• 7 months later...

I own both. I love the Image One's and they are my main headphones for listening to rock or something that has a more bass type sound. Can't beat the price either.

I like the M40's. They are built well, have a great snug fit on the head, and the NC is very good. When listening to rock/pop/blues I think it needs more of a treble tuning to them. The bass is good but can distort a little if it's too much. The weakest part of the phones are the midrange tones. Sometimes they can sound almost uncomfortable in that range. If I mess with an eq setting, they do sound better. I do love the NC and the clarity, plus with classical, soundtrack, new age type music, the M40's are fantastic. I won't be returning them, but they aren't taking over for my Image One's. I will use them in the proper setting and music type though.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a refurbished pair of M40s and received them today. My reference ones blow them out of the water in all aspects except looks. So either they are way overpriced or I got a faulty pair of headphones. Reference ones are way louder and have better highs, mids, and lows. Also with the noise cancellation activated the sound becomes very distorted. Anybody else have this problem? I contacted Klipsch to get their opinion.