Turntables......for $200 to $400????

Forte Too

Looking for some direction here. I am wanting to buy a turntable. Budget $200 to $400. Vintage or New? Direct Drive or Belt? Like the Marantz 6350's, but also like the Technics SL1200 (sold mine 8 or so years ago). Thought about Thorens then my thoughts go to some vintage linear TT. Planar P3..smooth, clean, plain. Any thoughts???

...I am wanting to buy a turntable...Budget $200 to $400. Vintage or New? Direct Drive or Belt? ...Thought about Thorens then my thoughts go to some vintage linear TT. Planar P3..smooth, clean, plain. Any thoughts???

http://reviews.ebay.com/Turntables-What-should-you-buy_W0QQugidZ10000000002161529

I paid more than $400 for my 1962 Empire 398 TT a couple of years ago--which I bought on ebay based on advice from the above link, and have never regretted it: this is the quietest, most neutral TT that I've ever heard--in stock condition.

There are many TT deals on ebay and craigslist (coast-to-coast) in your price range and bracketing anyone's performance and ownership needs.

Chris

I think you are in the ball park 42 with your choices so far... specially at that price point. take your time and wait for a deal to come to you.

one thing that surprised me was there are additional costs associated with TT playback. you can get a high output cartridge, but really a low output is better, which means set up or preamp that can amplify the signal. budget a few hundred for the HO/LO cart and if you go with a step up... a few hundred more.

TT's prices have really firmed up over the last few months, so you may need to step up a bit in pricing. Once you get into the 500-750 range, doors begin to open up in as far as options.

in addition to eBay... keep an eye open on Craigslist and at the 200-400 price point, consider your first TT purchase, not to be your last. you will want to upgrade later.

I just picked up a yamaha px-3 and a new cartridge and I couldn't be happier. I ABed it against my 2 cd players in one of my systems and there wasn't much of a contest, 6 out of the 7 the vinyl was better. They are trending down right now on the bay, when I sarted looking for one they were in the 600.00 to 800.00 range. Now they are between 250.00 and 400.00. Schu certainly has some words of wisdom though, I am already looking for a px-1.

I've been trying to find a decent 78rpm playback table and those prices are just to firm right now... lenco, empires and thorens 124's are all getting nice premiums and would set me back at least 750-1100$.

I suppose sl1200's are probably where they have always been... 275-500'ish

I just bought a Thorens TD190 on the bay. It is one of their newer models, and some say it is not up to par with their classic offerings. However, for the $175 I paid for it, I am very happy with the sound (new retail is like $699). It is significanly nicer than the $100 specials that you see at Best Buy. It is well made and looks great. I will eventually upgrade the cartridge and get a nice tube phono stage. It will probably be a long time before I feel the need to upgrade tables.

I grew up listening to CD's, and this is my first turntable. I really enjoy the smooth, analog sound, and I have had a ball buying new and used vinyl for cheap at thrift stores and record stores. Just make sure you buy something decent, and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

OK. I think I am settling for a Thorens TD 150. It's all stock. It's Old School and quality. The price is right and it appears to be a good basic platform. Many possible upgrades available if I want to tweak it later. New arm, new feet.......wait, lets just see what we get. Maybe I will be plesantly suprised with whats in the box. Comments?? Recomendations??

Take your time and wait for a deal to come to you.

Yup. $75 for a Musicmaster idler drive TT. It came with a entertainment center, a Eico HF-85 pre-amp, a Webster RTR with the tube head/pre-amp, a pair of Altec 415A bi-flex speakers in DIY cabinets, and a Altec 345A power amp.

The old timer I bought the stuff from was more concerned about showing the turntable over anything else. I didn't pay much attention to it, I thought it was a old vinyl shredder. Until I decided to set it up...now I know why the old guy pitched the TT the most during the sale.

OK. I think I am settling for a Thorens TD 150. It's all stock. It's Old School and quality. The price is right and it appears to be a good basic platform. Many possible upgrades available if I want to tweak it later. New arm, new feet.......wait, lets just see what we get. Maybe I will be plesantly suprised with whats in the box. Comments?? Recomendations??

Have you settled yet? I have a TD145 I will practically give you. I needs a little TLC but not much. Shoot me a pm if you're interested.