Construction of a New Home Theater

TurboGen

My wife and I are building a new house over the next 4 months.

One of the basement rooms will be a dedicated home theater room.

The space is a challenge, I have a 12'x12 room aspace i can turn into a room and a large 36' x 28' open area which I'm considering using the whole space and sharing with the rest of the mancave items or just using the 12x12 room

I'm going to be Pre-Wiring before the drywall goes up. It will be wired for 7.1

In the meantime ill be deciding on wire choice, wall color, and lighting, etc.

If you guys have any suggestions or thoughts to recommend to me, this is my first time building a house and building a theater room, any suggestions or advice would be great!

Thanks!

PS - ill post progress pics as construction continues

• Moderators

Congrats on the new home.

I can tell you from my experience 12' x 12' is going to be tight. My room is 13' x 19'. If I wanted 7.1 I really need a few extra feet in depth since my back row is against the back wall. For the width of my 3 chairs, 12' would not have provided adequate room to walk around them without.

I have lots of pics and info in my build thread in my signature.

Good thoughts and suggestions. Well I do have a large open area I could use instead. I could just swing the pool table into the 12x12 room and use the 36x14 space as part of the theater. This would allow much more seating. And space away from the speakers

I can also drop it back to a 5.1 instead.

It really depends on two competing factors: Do you want to seat more people, or do you want to keep the sound in. If you need to keep it quiet to let kids sleep and it's usually just you and the wife watching a movie, then the 12x12 might be ok. If you like to entertain and don't have kids to worry about (or a wife that doesn't like your loud movies), then the larger area is better.

The smaller room would be easier to pressurize with a subwoofer.

As to the pool table, I can tell you from experience that having a "pool cues" length seperation between ALL edges of the pool able and the walls/furniture/anything else can greatly increase your billards experience. Don't know what size table you have. It's sooooo frustraighting dodging things and people to get that great angle on a shot.

Congrats on the new house and the home theater. I would definitely use the larger space if at all possible. First off, a perfectly square room is less than ideal for acoustics, not only that but you will be very cramped and it will feel like the speakers are sitting in your lap.

Many things I did not think of!! Thank you for ideas, I think I'm going to set the screen on the 14' wall and put the seating in the 14' x 36' space. There are some great ceiling walls, I think where the beams run that will be covered by drywall will make great location for mounting rear speakers. Plus to the side there is a small open area and behind that wall is storage where we can run all the wires to and place equipment in that area.

I'm going to the same model house that's already been build and staged to sell, and going to take pictures of the basement to see if you guys can help me with the layout of the man cave and position of the theater. Thanks for your help!!

Posted Image

Here is the basement layout. The top room area is the 12x12 space. The long space is where everyone was suggesting I should arrange the theater.

Let's hear some thoughts on where to position everything. I was thinking to use the wall opposite the stairs. Has a storage room to the right of it