Promedia 2.1 DIN Cable Repair. UPDATED

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum. I recently purchased a used Klipsch Promedia 2.1 System for $10 at a yard sale. It looked to be in good shape and figured $10 wasn't a big loss if it didn't work.

It didn't come with speaker wires and I had to make some with info I found here.

Speakers still werent working and after giving it a thorough search, I noticed a blown fuse. Replaced it and it finally worked.

Just when I thought I was done, my DIN Connector somehow broke. I didn't feel like paying the $13-$17 being asked on Ebay for a cable or repair. I also noticed a lot of people complaining that they're Control Pod was stolen by a member on here, so I wanted to find a fix myself.

I found a thread here with a diagram for the DIN which shows which color goes to what pin. The PS/2 Keyboard Extension that they mentioned wasn't available anymore so I purchased a random PS/2 and checked the continuity for each cable.

I purchased this extension from my local Radioshack for about $10 In Store. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049675 (Item number 26-149)

The Colors to match are:

PS/2 Extension - DIN Cables

Green = Black (1)
Orange = Yellow (2)
Brown = Red (3)
Black = Brown (4)
Red = Orange (5)
Yellow = Green (6)

Mine work Great after this fix. I soldered the cables together and Taped over each one. Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello Thanks for the post. I purchased my 2.1 3 years ago and have used them maybe a dozen times. I found my preamp cable broke off, leaving the metal part of the DIN connector in the back of the unit. I was able to buy an old mouse w/ the six pin P/S connector, checked continuity & matched colors up correctly. Soldered and shrink tubed. Did final continuity test from the control board and all pins are correctly connected. When I plug in the unit and turn it on, the green led does not light, no sound except the usual initial speaker hiss/pop that occurs on connection. I have checked the fuse its good. The only thing I can imagine might be the problem is the wire gauge for the ground (shield) in the new connector. It is the same size as the other wires. The original cable has a much larger gauge for the shield wire, but I soldered them anyway. Any ideas?

Hello Thanks for the post. I have a similar situation and need help. My unit is only a few years old and very seldom used. Recently I found my preamp cable broke away from the metal part of the P/S 2 connector. I was able to find an old mouse with six wires to replace the end. I did continuity tests and matched the wires correctly. Soldered and shrink tubed. Did final continuity test from control pod to pins to verify. When plugged in & turned on, the green LED does not illuminate and the only sound is the usual quick feedback sound the speakers make. I have checked the fuse, its good. The only possible thing that may be the problem is the ground (shield) wire gauge I used for the replacement connector. It is the same gauge as the other six wires, but the original from the control pod is a larger gauge and was bare when I stripped the cable. I twisted and soldered it to the correct P/S 2 wire. Could this be the issue im having? Any ideas?

• 2 years later...
  • 9 years later...

Many years later now, and I broke that same connector on my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 System. 

I see repair kits for $17 including shipping, but I found a bargain at:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KVFY456?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details .

I cut this cable in half so I have a spare.  The colors of the wires are in the same positions as the Klipsch cable. 

This cable is not shielded, but it does have a ground wire between the shells.  Cut short to minimize unshielded  length.