KLF 30 update summary question

Normo

I have read through many of the long and excellent posts about this speaker. Could someone summarize the changes that seem to make the most difference and if it means buying a new part-where to buy it. There is so much information available about this speaker, I am almost in overload. Thanks for any help Norm

I bought some KLF 30's about a week ago. I liked them very much, but they were rolled off too fast for my taste. I bought the Bob Crites titanium diaphram ($58 shipped for the pair)and now these things just sound amazing for their price. I've had speakers from $600-$7500 and these are awesome speakers, lets put it that way.

I would recommend looking for a late model, as there are improvements not found in old models. Mine are 2001's and they have the 3 braces inside and foam too. The old ones I believe had none, and then they slowly added more braces in as time went on.

This is what I have read about the KLF 30. I am sure someone who has been with klipsch speakers for along time could tell you better about the changes. The titanium diaphrams are a must IMO. Seams like most are buying them, because it is a big upgrade, and little money. I will say for my money, nothing I know of will beat these speakers in all they do. I prefer theLegacy Focus 20/20's slightly, but those cost me $7k new. Hard to believe they offer so much the Focus did, and under 1k with upgrades,etc.

I can't say if Crites cross overs, and mid diaphrams are any good, cause I haven't tried them yet.

Welcome to the forum this is a great place. Do you have a set of KLF30? There is much that you can do to these. Depending upon your room size and how far you want to go you might be a litttle better off with a set of KLF20 as the xover is less expensive to upgrade and a little less complex as well.You can take a look at the link below to get an idea of some brace work I did on a couple of pair last summer. I also flipped the vents from back to front on the pair I rebuilt for my daughter you can see the pictures of that. I like front ports especially in smaller rooms.

Biggest improvements is ti diaphragms mid and hi. Cabinet brace work with vent re tuning. Crossover rebuild with the very bst parts you can afford starting with the inductors first then caps then resistors then the auto transformers. Then tweak out the horn lenes. That will about cover you and keep you off the streets at night for a good while. Then you can spend your time listening to your components and room and figuring those out. Hope this helps and is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=372783&highlight=klf20

Thanks for the reply. I didn't see any link for pics. I would love to see the home made bracing and where it fits in vs the factory intstalled bracing. My KLF's are older without bracing. Also any suggestions for damping material and where to place it would be great. Thanks Norm

I didn't remove the rear panel. I added corner round molding in all 12 corners and 3x1 cross braces through the woofer openings.

The speakers in the last picture are Tyler Acoutis Linbrook signature series.

I kept the KLF-30, C-7, & KSP-S6's/B&W asw-850 15" sub for my 5.1 home theater and updated my

2 channel system to:

Home theater PC with 2T of lossless ripped cd's and high def,

Bolder Cable modded EE Minimax tubed DAC,

Modwright tubed pre-amp,

Bryston 7B-ST monoblock amps, &

Tyler Acoustic Linbrook Signature system. (with M&K MX-5000-mkii sub crossed over at 50hz although it really doesn't need it! LOL)

Let me know what you find out on vent tuning. these klf 30's should be hitting in the 28hz range with these high qaulity 12" drivers and large cabinet IMO.

Regarding the bass:

When I bought these speakers I thought I'd have to pul them out from the wall to keep from a muddy sound. For what ever reason putting these close to the wall(about 6 inches!) has tightened them up and made them cleaner. never experienced this with a speaker. Loving these things!