Receiver recommendations for a pair of RB-81s?

The RB 81 is a nice speaker and it is unusal for someone to say it lacks bass. Having and avr with the sub outlet is always a good option, if it can be returned. This way the system has a little room to grow. Everytime I brought what I thought I needed, I later on wished it had additional options. Good luck!

Not that unusual... my pair lacks bass too and there are other threads in the forum and on Internet where owners complain about that :(

And BTW at many other occasions the conclusion was made that you need to add a sub-woofer to those speakers and so buy an amp with sub-woofer output. It is a shame that Dave asked in the forum and ended buying inappropriate gear. Dave, have you tried to search the forum? Hope you get that fixed soon!

It is a shame that Dave asked in the forum and ended buying inappropriate gear.

Yes he did ask and from information provided, he bought one of the items suggested.

Here is the beginning of his initial post: (key phrase is in bold print)

"So I'm about to purchase my first ever sound system, and I want to make it a good one. I only want a 2.0 system, no woofer or surround, I'm not too crazy about multiple speakers, and I want them compact. That leads me to think that the Klipsch RB-81 II series should be right for me."

At that point, I suggested a couple of options that may meet his needs with a reasonable budget:

"Now that Sony you mentioned probably will not do the trick. If you are only going to have a 2-channel setup, may I suggest an affordable integrated amp.

Here are a couple of suggestions:

"Cambridge Audio Azur 650A---75 watts/channel true numbers, not inflated like many low/mid level HT receivers.

http://www.spearitsound.com/special.html

Cambridge Audio Azur 650A integrated amplifier, black (List $779) $449 Used

Cambridge Audio Azur 650A integrated amplifier, silver (List $779) $449 Demo

NAD 356BEE---80watts/channel, also very true if not conservative power numbers.

http://www.spearitsound.com/Integrated_Amplifiers-NAD_C356Bee_Refurbished.html

This here Onkyo has gotten rave reviews from top magazines and some on this forum do or have used it to power their 2-channel setups. I have many times considered pulling the trigger to power my RB-5's but ended up having to sell them. This is a great price.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/onkyo-a-9555-new"

Each of the amps suggested met the criteria he stated.

Bill

Just wanted to update you guys with where I got to.

Klipsch sent me a new 8" and I swapped that out. New speaker does not rattle at all, so I can push it harder. Next thing I found out is that the grills on the front were also making it rattle at high volumes, to which I foolishly thought the speakers were peaking. So now that I got a new 8" speaker and took off the grills (only when the toddlers aren't around) this is sounding much better. Definitely keeping these bookshelf speakers.

Also, I saw a sale on newegg and I grabbed one of these for $300 new.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078

Ah, how I have missed you 30hz. Why on earth was I originally saying I didn't want a sub? I was crazy.
Since my amp doesn't have a sub out, I copied the stereo signal and sent one pair into the sub, so I have to work the volume separately, which is no problem at all. The volume is actually right on the front top of the speaker, I kind of prefer it that way anyways.

So in the end, I'm very pleased. It took $1290 to get here, which was a few hundred over original budget. But considering how it sounds now, no regrets at all.

Thanks

----------------------
Onkyo a9555
Klipsch RB-81 II
Klipsch RW-12d