What Crossover For Eliptrac Khorns? (Pics)

Delicious2

Looking to upgrade AK-2 crossover in 1990 Khorns with Dave's Eliptrac midhorn. Crites? ALK universal? ALK ES? Volti? I listen to classical and jazz at low volumes primarily in the background and a wide variety of jazz, dance, pop, and progressive rock at moderate levels in the sweet spot.

post-44026-13819693428396_thumb.jpg

Try this one:

DC-One%20Application.jpg

Of course, you'll need a couple more amps, but I believe that the sound will be outstanding.

Here is a thread on Khorn settings that would be very useful to have as a point of departure.

Chris [;)]

thanks for the reply Chris and the link. I had read through that thread and other active crossover threads awhile back. I heard an active Khorn system briefly done by Greg of Volti a couple of years ago with a Behringer 2496

I have fooled a bit with a MiniDSP for my sub but don't think I'm ready for full active. Probably just a passive that's adjustable?

The best network for the way and what you listen too is a simple first order type, similiar to the old Klipsch Type A. It doesn't need to be adjustable, you just need to know the efficiency of the mid driver/horn combination to fix the settings. It sounds better.

Correct. The ES has a lot of parts and would be considered rather complex. A first order filter would use two caps, a coil, and the autoformer (four parts total). Actually, the network you have is pretty nice -- it just needs to have the capacitors replaced.

I like the Universals in my KHorns and the Cornscala-walls in my Cornscala's

I have no love for the type A crossover. Tried them.

I didn't like the Super Slopes Dave had in his KHorns either.

I am not sure, but I dont think the type a crossovers crossovers will work with Eliptracs unless you have the adapter and the K-55

Paul B

Thanks for the opinion Paul. I do indeed have the adapters and the K-55s. They sound very good now but as Dean said the caps are probably out of spec. So, are the universals a reasonable compromise in complexity? How important is constant impedance in these designs?

The constant impedance usually means more when you are using tube amps, especially so if you move to low powered SETs. The lower order crossovers also work well with the low powered amps, as you don't want your amp power getting sucked up in the crossovers. That's one of the reasons I built my modified DHA2 crossovers to use in my LS.

Bruce