Cooling!

Gxcad

Hey, now I'm looking into case fans, particularly 80mm but also one 90mm and one 120mm fan. #1 priority is quietness, and although I assume it doesn't get much quieter than 30db, I would like to see if anyone can offer me better for 80mm fans. How much junk would I need to have in my case to expire 330W of powersupplie? Hehe....just anxious, big upgrade coming up in 5 months or so biggrin.gif

-Gxcad

c>f>

'round these parts, I'm known as 'King Fan'. I have a total of 11 fans running in my PC all from a 300W Turbo-Cool power supply.

120mm fans are noisy- way over 30db, but my one 120mm fan dropped my video card temp almost 30 degrees.

------------------

BMW- The Ultimate Driving Machine.

Klipsch- The Ultimate Listening Machine.

quote:

Originally posted by Gxcad:

Hey, now I'm looking into case fans, particularly 80mm but also one 90mm and one 120mm fan. #1 priority is quietness, and although I assume it doesn't get much quieter than 30db, I would like to see if anyone can offer me better for 80mm fans. How much junk would I need to have in my case to expire 330W of powersupplie? Hehe....just anxious, big upgrade coming up in 5 months or so
biggrin.gif

-Gxcad
c>f>

Here is my lowdown on fan noise. This is per fan.

Sunon 80mm 30 cfm 1.4w 28db

Sunon 80mm 36 cfm 2.0w 32db

Sunon 80mm 42.5cfm 2.6w 42.5db

Sunon 92mm 44 cfm 2.3w 33db

Sunon 120mm 69 cfm 2.4w 35.5db

Sunon 120mm 90 cfm 4.6w 44.5db

YS Tech 120mm 131.5cfm 7.92w 45db

I have 2 of the 1.4w 80mm and 2 of the 2.0w 80mm along with the Golden Orb HSF. This is 50db at my seat 3 feet away. I turn on the YS tech 120mm fan and it shoots up to 60db.

The new system I am building will have 4 Sunon 120mm 2.4 69cfm@ fans. 2 blowing & 2 sucking. That will be moving about 138cfm through the case and it should be quiter. If it is I am replacing the YS Tech in this system with 2 more of the Sunon 120mm.

Also you need to check how much power your Power Supply is putting out at the different voltages. 3.3v 5v and 12v. The fans and neon and some of the drives use 12v. Total up all the wattage and compare to the label on the Power Supply.

c>

------------------

SO MUCH TO DO, SO LITTLE TIME.c>

quote:

Originally posted by Gxcad:

Hmm...I see, so big fans seem to tend to be better in cfm vs dba, so what about bearing type? ball bearing or sleeve bearing? I heard go ball bearing, but I wanted to make sure...
smile.gif

-Gxcad

c>f>

Ballbearing! Sleavebearing fans are the cheap ones that dont usually last. The fans I listed in my last post are all ballbearing and can be purchased from http://www.2cooltek.com Great guy to deal with and speedy service.c>

------------------

SO MUCH TO DO, SO LITTLE TIME.c>

Ok, after some research, I have discovered that adding 10 dBA is like doubleing noise. Using this equation, I tested for most efficiency for fans in both size and noise. It seems you will have least noise and most CFM if you use bigger fans...

In efficiency, bigger always beats smaller, and more beats less - this means to have 2 fans at 35dBA (+10) = 45dBA will usually have far more CFM than if you used one fan of the same size that created 45dBA by itself. confuseing? rolleyes.gif

In conclusion, to have the most efficient cooling for the noise you have to have, first pick a company with an efficient design, then choose the biggest fans with the least noise. This will give you maximum CFM vs dBA smile.gif

-Gxcad

c>f>

• 1 month later...